Menu

Socks for boys that don't get holes in two months UPDATE IN OP

cintinative

Do these exist, and if so, can you pretty please tell me where to buy them?

The Hanes socks I have been buying go to holes within months. My kids live in their socks. 

TIA!

Updates:

Trial 1: I tried the ones from Costco--they were Stride Rite brand. They left lint *everywhere.* It was crazy. And they did get holes. After about three-four months.

Trial 2: Nike brand white socks from JCPenney. I have no way of knowing if there are quality differences if you buy them from JCP versus Kohls or Macy's or whatever. Anyway, the ones we have already have holes after two months.  These overall are worse than the Stride Rite in terms of how they are wearing, but they don't leave all the lint.  These were *way* more expensive too.

Next??  

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

It can help to buy socks slightly larger (to reduce pressure on the toes) and keep nails trimmed short (to help reduce toe holes).  If they "live in their socks", perhaps get slippers or other "inside shoes", or socks with treads that were made for inside wear?  I have found fleece socks to hold up well; they are not cheap.

• Like 3

I have a girl who wears through socks & shoes on the balls of her feet. The socks don't last long around here if she wears them. Shoes & slippers wear through in the same spots. I'd love to find socks that didn't have holes in them after a few weeks. 

I've tried fleece, wool, and all types of cotton & cotton/poly blends. Some last a few wearings longer, but none go as long as the rest of the family's socks by any stretch of the imagination. My friends don't believe me when I tell them how few wearings it takes to get holes.

So, I'm  :bigear: . (I think this is a believe-it-when-you-have-one situation. If you don't have a kid like this, you probably don't understand how bad it really is.)

• Like 2

We have found Nike socks to wear much longer than the cheaper brands.  

This.

I swear I was buying the mega packs of Hanes socks once a month for my DS.  I just assumed it was par for the course when having a son who dances.  However, his team did a sock exchange at Christmas and he was given some really nice Nike socks.   Here they are, three and a half months later and they are solid and intact- not a hole or a snag on them.  The bottoms aren't worn to threads from him working on his turns at home. He literally wears them all the time and they look as new as the day he brought them home in mid-December.

The next time he tells me he needs new socks I'm going to bite the bullet and buy him several pair of Nike socks and see how long they last. 

• Like 4

I purchased some from Costco that have held up a year so far. They're still thick, though not as much as when I bought them. Ds lives in his socks; he frequently wears them outside and I've been amazed at how well they've held up. We tried the name brands, including Gold Toe and Hanes, and these have outlived everything we've tried.

• Like 1

My solution:

1) Purchase pack of socks at Costco

2) Son "loses" over half the package - where in the world did they go?  He has absolutely no clue.

3) Purchase second pack of socks at Costco, with a threat to not lose any part of it.

4) Find all the missing socks (Oops!  They ended up in the pajama drawer instead of the socks and underoos drawer!)

5) Now son has enough socks to last for over three weeks without wearing a single pair more than once.  With so many socks, each pair lasts longer since they get less overall wear.  It's an illusion, sure, but we embrace it!

Actually, even with only one package of Costco socks, they have lasted for over a year.  Slippers, though, he goes through way too fast.

• Like 5

Nike black socks :) my boys haven't destroyed them yet after so many years including going to the beach in summer and making snowmen when we go snow tubing in winter. http://mobile.kohls.com/product/prd-893443/product.jsp?pfm=bdrecs-TCom-PDP-Grid-166&UUID=9cb6746e-0a93-4a97-8c02-20a735dd1c93&recommFrom=PDP

Converse white tall socks have survived so far but they aren't a year old yet.

• Like 1

Do these exist, and if so, can you pretty please tell me where to buy them?

The Hanes socks I have been buying go to holes within months. My kids live in their socks. 

TIA!

I just got rid of Hanes socks I bought for me because the elastic did not hold up. I wonder if their quality is going down.

• Like 1

Yes, Hanes quality has gone way down in the past five years or so. I know because I used to buy all Hanes underwear and socks for my husband and boys. I purchased two packs of socks for my husband about five years ago and somehow the whole brand new unopened pack got buried in the back of the closet. When we went to move this past year I found them and compared them to the new ones and the new ones are so much thinner. You can see through the fabric of the new ones and the old ones are really nice and thick. So, I don't buy Hanes anymore for anything because their quality is so poor.

I have three boys and I really liked the Target Circo socks. They held up forever. But now they don't make them anymore as nice as they did or at least I can't find the ones we have. So, I purchased some Tek Gear ones from Kohls and they are holding up really well.

• Like 2

do they run around wearing only socks?   there isn't one that wont' get holes.

dudeling loves his white addidas low-cut socks from costco. I've never seen a hole in one, and have been buying them for over a year. now, if I could just get him to stop leaving them all over the house . . .

• Like 1

Nike black socks :) my boys haven't destroyed them yet after so many years including going to the beach in summer and making snowmen when we go snow tubing in winter. http://mobile.kohls.com/product/prd-893443/product.jsp?pfm=bdrecs-TCom-PDP-Grid-166&UUID=9cb6746e-0a93-4a97-8c02-20a735dd1c93&recommFrom=PDP

Converse white tall socks have survived so far but they aren't a year old yet.

my dd used to sing a song  when she was in elementary school.  I think it was a silverstein poem . . .

black socks, black socks, the longer I wear them the darker they get.

black socks, black socks, I think I should wash them, but something inside me keeps saying not yet, not yet

• Like 1

Darn Tough socks at REI or other similar stores. I started buying them for myself because my heels are so bad I could only wear regular socks a couple times before they got holes. Darn Tough socks last me years. They have a lifetime warranty too.

• Like 4

I have a girl who wears through socks & shoes on the balls of her feet. The socks don't last long around here if she wears them. Shoes & slippers wear through in the same spots. I'd love to find socks that didn't have holes in them after a few weeks. 

I've tried fleece, wool, and all types of cotton & cotton/poly blends. Some last a few wearings longer, but none go as long as the rest of the family's socks by any stretch of the imagination. My friends don't believe me when I tell them how few wearings it takes to get holes.

So, I'm  :bigear: . (I think this is a believe-it-when-you-have-one situation. If you don't have a kid like this, you probably don't understand how bad it really is.)

YES. This is totally our problem. At least five socks a week get holes.

• Like 1

do they run around wearing only socks?   there isn't one that wont' get holes.

dudeling loves his white addidas low-cut socks from costco. I've never seen a hole in one, and have been buying them for over a year. now, if I could just get him to stop leaving them all over the house . . .

In the house, yes. Outside they wear shoes. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Update:  bought socks at Costco (Stride Rite brand) about a week after initial post, and I started throwing individual socks away a few weeks ago. We are already to the point of a diminished supply even though I bought four packs. So I will call that particular sock a fail. (Less than six month sock life)

ETA: bought from Costco because of convenience and price

Next up:  Nike??  What do you all vote?  Or am I wrong to expect socks to last a full year?

Edited by cintinative

I bought some different socks when this thread first got posted. I think the LLBean ones aren't too bad yet. Of course, summer was in the middle there. But, still, I think she's gotten maybe eight to ten wearings out of one of the pairs and they don't have an obvious hole yet. I'll try to update next time I see them come through the wash.

ETA:  My other kids can wear socks for much longer without getting holes in them. They don't wear socks much in the summer and the younger kids outgrow their socks before getting holes in them. Only Destructo Eldest has this effect on socks.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

Urban legend. That's why they sell them in packs of 10 pairs. I always bought solid white so there would be no problem losing mates (i.e.,20 single white socks in a package). If they wanted purple socks or polo ponies, those guys had to spend their own nickels for 'em. Possibly because I caught them more than once out playing basketball in the driveway with just socks on.

• Like 2

I've bought Adidas, Tek Gear, and Nike for my boys. All 3 seem to hold up well, with Adidas low cuts being my favorite. I try to get them when Kohls has them buy 1, 1 50% off and I have a 30% of coupon. I rarely throw them out because of holes - it's usually lost socks or they start looking ratty.

• Like 1

So we have to compromise between cost effective and life of the sock.  PUMA socks from Costco.  They are moderately inexpensive and live longer than the Adidas I get from Costco.  What I no longer buy and it makes me want to cry?  The Costco ultra soft wool blend socks for women.  They die a FAST death.

• 4 months later...

Hmmm. Your kids sound especially hard on socks. Maybe you need to look at the fiber content. See what the socks that are wearing or quickly are made of, and then try something different. Wool maybe?

Do your kids wear socks without shoes a lot? If so I’d get them some slippers and tell them no more running around in socks.

• Like 1

Update on the LL Bean ones I purchased for El Destructo Eldest as a result of this thread. Still no holes in them. They are in a rotation with other socks, so they only get worn once every 10-14 days or so, but they are holding up better than anything else she has. (They also cost 4-6x as much as her other socks, so they better get 4-6x the wear out of them!) So, they are coming up to almost a year old - which is definitely a record for her.

• Like 2

This sounds promising. Do you have a name for these or a link?

Well, I have bad news on top of bad news. First, they're "Women's." Seeing that their color is pretty unisex (gray & army green), I thought that was a surmountable problem. But, I went looking & they aren't selling them anymore. They were called CoolMax Hiker Socks. (I also got some Cotton Ragg Camp Socks, but she just started wearing those, so I have nothing yet to report.) Someone else recommended the LL Bean socks and nothing else ever held up, so I figured I'd try anything once. They have something called "Darn Tough Socks" but they are twice the price I paid for the Hiker & Camp Socks. I paid around $20, but I got two pair instead of one pair. 

It looks like there are other "CoolMax Hiker" socks sold elsewhere, but I don't know if they are the same.  :confused1:

• Like 2

Well, I have bad news on top of bad news. First, they're "Women's." Seeing that their color is pretty unisex (gray & army green), I thought that was a surmountable problem. But, I went looking & they aren't selling them anymore. They were called CoolMax Hiker Socks. (I also got some Cotton Ragg Camp Socks, but she just started wearing those, so I have nothing yet to report.) Someone else recommended the LL Bean socks and nothing else ever held up, so I figured I'd try anything once. They have something called "Darn Tough Socks" but they are twice the price I paid for the Hiker & Camp Socks. I paid around $20, but I got two pair instead of one pair.

It looks like there are other "CoolMax Hiker" socks sold elsewhere, but I don't know if they are the same. :confused1:

Darn Tough socks have a lifetime guarantee. They are expensive, but if your kids are constantly wearing them out, they might be worth it.

I have seen Darn Tough socks at TJ Max within the last month or so, they are seconds and don’t come with the guarantee, but are $5-$7 per pair vs $15-$20 regularly.

• Like 1