Menu

Shows for kids after the PBS Kids phase?

three4me

My older two kids (7&9)are generally content to watch the PBS Kids and Disney Jr shows with the two year old. But I'm wondering what the next step is from these shows. I'm not too fond of the tween stuff I've seen from Disney. Besides non fiction things like Chopped Jr and the like, what shows are out there for that age range?

Bonus points if it's on Netflix or Prime.

• Like 1

We've gone the retro route. I have a 14 year old who still enjoys all of this. You might want to pre-screen some of this for your kids.

Gilligan's Island

I Love Lucy

Yogi Bear

Tom & Jerry

My Favorite Martian

Hogan's Heroes (14 yr old loves this; yours might be a bit young)

My Three Sons

I Dream of Jeannie

The Flying Nun

Star Trek (original series)

Movies:

Bringing Up Baby (Katharine Hepburn)

The African Queen (older)

Gus

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken

Furry Vengeance (tween/teen humor)

RV (with Robin Williams)

The Long, Long Trailer (Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz)

E.T.

Step Dogs 

Maybe the documentary route: Disney makes them but DS8 prefers ones like Most Dangerous Animals or whatever.

DS also likes Horrible Histories series and Horrible Science. Maybe crash course for kids or Vince channels on YouTube.

Fiction- Japanese themed cartoons. Avatar series. Veggie tales, Garfield, how to train your dragon, Lego shows.

Edited by displace
  • Like 1

Ronia, the Robber's Daughter (haven't seen yet...going to try soon because we've read the book)

Jack Hanna's Into the Wild *

How to Train Your Dragon--Race to the Edge

Gortimer Gibbons (we've only seen a couple of these...can't vouch for the whole series)

Kung Fu Panda--Legends of Awesomeness

Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Inspector Gadget

Growing Up Wild *

*My son loves the real-life animal shows. He's seen them all...too many to remember titles.

My older two kids (7&9)are generally content to watch the PBS Kids and Disney Jr shows with the two year old. But I'm wondering what the next step is from these shows. I'm not too fond of the tween stuff I've seen from Disney. Besides non fiction things like Chopped Jr and the like, what shows are out there for that age range?

Bonus points if it's on Netflix or Prime.

My son likes Mythbusters and Popular Science for Kids (both on DVD)

I know it's non-fiction - but dudeling loved it. (starting when he was three.  he'd watch ones about ships.  and trains)

modern marvels.

and mythbusters.  (which my dd complains isn't very scientific.  but they do like to blow stuff up.)

chip and dales rescue rangers is on youtube

My almost 9 year old still likes PBS kids but we also do:

SciGirls

Treehouse Masters

Chopped and Cupcake Wars

Popular Mechanic for Kids

Oscar's Oasis

Dogs 101

My son like River Masters (which is like, dramatic fishing?)

Lots & lots of documentaries. 

Just watched Growing Up Wild, which is narrated by Daveed Diggs....I'm like, I know that voice, that's Thomas Jefferson!

Tales by Light is actually pretty good

I've tried Gortimer Gibbons and Annedroids. They're lovely. My kids aren't ready for them but I'd have no problem with them.

There is some  show on youtube where the guy gets deliberately bit by venomous bugs? The non bite episodes are good.  For Kratt fans.