Menu

The Good and the Beautiful for LA and history

jer2911mom

Has anyone used this curricula for LA and history? The LA in particular looks amazing! It includes diagramming, which I really appreciate, and art and geography, too!

Thanks,

Kathy

Just starting the language Arts. We are only a week in.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My dd is using level 7. It is so well-organized. She is able to follow the checklists and complete it mostly on her own. I love the memory work and spelling/grammar dictation. She studies geography and grammar flash cards, and there are state capital memorization ladders as well as poetry memorization. These things are studied on alternate days. She loves when there is an art lesson which is mostly drawing and looks forward to them. I've seen great results with the spelling and grammar dictations.

I started my ds4 on the Pre-k book and he enjoys it very much. He often brings me the book and does a couple lessons at a time. 

We haven't used any other subjects by this author.

• Like 2

My dd is using level 7. It is so well-organized. She is able to follow the checklists and complete it mostly on her own. I love the memory work and spelling/grammar dictation. She studies geography and grammar flash cards, and there are state capital memorization ladders as well as poetry memorization. These things are studied on alternate days. She loves when there is an art lesson which is mostly drawing and looks forward to them. I've seen great results with the spelling and grammar dictations.

I started my ds4 on the Pre-k book and he enjoys it very much. He often brings me the book and does a couple lessons at a time. 

We haven't used any other subjects by this author.

Thanks, Mona!  Level 7 is what we would be using next year!  I'm so glad to hear it is working well for you!  My dd is learning the state capitals in MFW 1850-Mod this year, so that will be a good review for her!  I am really hoping this program will help us achieve all I've been trying to achieve eclectically, but in a much shorter time!  I think it will offer more balance for us.  How long does it take, typically?

Can you please tell me more about the spelling?  My dd is a weak speller, and I'm trying to determine if we should start the Megawords series next year.  I don't know if it would be too much on top of G&B, though.  How exactly is the spelling done, and is it every day?  Does it still teach the rules/patterns at this level?  Does it work on syllabication? Are there tests?

For the literature/reading, am I understanding correctly that there is the "reader" they provide, and then there are 9 books done for the Course Reading Challenge, two of which are specified and the rest you choose based on genre?  What kind of work is done with the reader?  Is there any work with the books done in the Course Reading Challenge?  Do they read both in the same day?  What kind of literary analysis is there? 

Also, what kind of assessments are there?  I didn't see any samples.  Are there actual tests?

Do you feel the need to supplement G&B in any way?

I see you are doing MFW high school.  Do you think you will continue with MFW for history?  G&B history looks interesting and is a unique scope and sequence.  I'd need to add Bible, though, except for the ancients coverage.  This is our first year of MFW, and I'm weighing CTG vs. G&B history year 1 for next year.

My dd thought the nature journal looked amazing and wants me to get it for her!  If we stick with MFW, it will be a nice addition to it.

Kathy

ETA: I noticed you were using R&S 6 and WWS 1 before.  How does this compare?  We've been using CLE, and I was wondering about WWS 1 for next year since MFW recommends it.

Edited by jer2911mom

The Good and the Beautiful LA is so much more than just grammar and writing. In her last assignment, she needed to listen to the author talk about the story she is reading in the reader and take notes. She is able to use her notes to take a quiz and needs to get an 80% on the quiz to pass it, or she needs to listen and take notes again until she passes the quiz. (Learning by doing) When a vocabulary word is introduced in a lesson, the word is used in all the sentences in the grammar lesson, so they can practice the grammar assignment and see the vocabulary word used in many ways. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s just very efficient and effective. I canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t say enough about it.

*How long does it take, typically?
ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s different each day depending on the assignment. She likes to take more time with her art lessons. The memorizing is only for 5-10 minutes. Sentence dictation takes about 5 minutes to complete the three sentences. I would say about 40 minutes for everything for level 7 unless she wants me to test her for mastery on any of the things sheĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s been memorizing then it's a little more time.

I think the spelling is just dictation which isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t much. The dictation sentences are grouped in sections and you work through a section for mastery. Each section will incorporate specific homophones, grammar rules, punctuation, and spelling. The spelling part include words that end in -ible or -able, whether to drop e's to add suffixes, and things like that, so those rules are addressed.  They write the sentence you dictate and you immediately check it and explain to them anything they got wrong and they attempt it again during the next lesson. They continue to get the same sentences until they get it correct. I make a check mark next to each sentence mastered.

If your child is a poor speller, I would add something for spelling. My children used to be poor spellers, too. We worked really hard for years to improve spelling using OG methods.

She has the reader for her lessons. The lessons have comprehension questions in the course book, and dd says that sentences are pulled from the reader and she has to punctuate it correctly. I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t pick nine more books for her reading challenge yet because she is doing lit-based history, so she has plenty to read at the moment. 

I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t feel I need to supplement TGaTB in any way. It is complete LA and more. 

We used MFW Adventures all the way through to AHL so far. Love, love, love MFW. Wish I had used it for 1st grade, too. Creation to the Greeks is one of my favorite years. I liked it so much more than the American history packages. The object lessons for Bible really helped for understanding. There were so many memorable activities that year. DonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t miss out on CtG. I think TGaTB history looks interesting, but IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not sure I would want to do an entire sweep of history each year with different focus. I would rather have concentrated study of a time period globally. I think it helps make connections since each country does not exist in a bubble.

The nature journal does look lovely. ;)

• Like 3

ETA: I noticed you were using R&S 6 and WWS 1 before.  How does this compare?  We've been using CLE, and I was wondering about WWS 1 for next year since MFW recommends it.

We were using R&S6 since I already owned it. R&S is a very thorough grammar and writing. It is also very dry. I didn't feel that the instruction was sticking unlike the dictations which work very well and cover many topics at one time. I probably should take WWS down from my sign because she only did a few assignments before we stopped using that. It looks good and I know many people have had great success with it, but it didn't click well for her or me. She is currently writing a research paper for state history along with any writing that comes along in her English, so we are good in the writing department. We used CLE LA up through third grade. I love the independence of it, but we didn't use the spelling or handwriting, so moved on to something different after that. 

• Like 1

Thank you for all the details, Mona!  So are the quizzes mostly tied to the reading then?  Are there any other tests?  My dd is kind of burned out with all the CLE quizzes and tests.  Does she give grading rubrics/suggestions?

How much review is there?  We are, of course, used to the spiraling CLE review, but it is too much for my dd and not all of that is necessary for her.  However, some review is helpful.

How often would you say they are writing in TGaTB?

We are using Figuratively Speaking for literary terms this year and won't finish it.  Should we continue it next year, or would that be covered adequately in TGaTB?

What did you do OG-wise to help your spellers?

Do you think you will use TGaTB LA alongside MFW high school, or switch to the MFW LA?

Thanks!

Kathy

For level 2: I have a copy of the first edition and second edition. The first edition had reading challenges: recommended book series for your child to try and read a few. Second edition that since came out with a reader but it not schedule or referenced so I opted to keep using our pathway readers and just follow the recommendation of have kid read from for twenty minutes.

Time commitment can be deceiving. It's recommended to work from the corse book for 40-60 minutes per day however for our first week in twenty minutes we got one or two lessons done. So maybe as we get further in the lessons might get longer when it get harder but I don't know

There is a Facebook group called the good & the beautiful community if you don't get an answer about history here you could try there

• Like 1

For level 2: I have a copy of the first edition and second edition. The first edition had reading challenges: recommended book series for your child to try and read a few. Second edition that since came out with a reader but it not schedule or referenced so I opted to keep using our pathway readers and just follow the recommendation of have kid read from for twenty minutes.

Time commitment can be deceiving. It's recommended to work from the corse book for 40-60 minutes per day however for our first week in twenty minutes we got one or two lessons done. So maybe as we get further in the lessons might get longer when it get harder but I don't know

There is a Facebook group called the good & the beautiful community if you don't get an answer about history here you could try there

Did you use Level 1 LA as well. My dd placed in there and I'm trying to figure out if the spelling is enough.

I bought the history to use for next year and it looks really good.  Very thorough and professional.  The history game is really neat!  I also bought the Nature Journals that we are using this year and are enjoying.  I am also using the PreK set.  That is very fun!  I love the games and how well everything is laid out for you in the plans.  Very easy to follow!  I have the K set that I will be using next year.  My child is in K this year but wasn't quite ready for the Good and the Beautiful K set.  Jenny's site says that the K set is very advanced K/1st grade.  The Science looks great too!  I haven't bought that yet but am toying with the idea :)

Edited to add that I also use the cursive handwriting and my child loves it!!!  The addition of drawing is pretty neat.  At first she didn't like that so much but now she enjoys the challenge and can do pretty good :)

Edited by j_thurm
  • Like 2

I have 2 students in level 3 and one in level 5. I have another not yet ready for level 1

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Thank you.  Do you like it so far?  And thanks, I did see where you can download the first 5 levels for free (can't get multi-quote to work).

I bought the history to use for next year and it looks really good.  Very thorough and professional.  The history game is really neat!  I also bought the Nature Journals that we are using this year and are enjoying.  I am also using the PreK set.  That is very fun!  I love the games and how well everything is laid out for you in the plans.  Very easy to follow!  I have the K set that I will be using next year.  My child is in K this year but wasn't quite ready for the Good and the Beautiful K set.  Jenny's site says that the K set is very advanced K/1st grade.  The Science looks great too!  I haven't bought that yet but am toying with the idea :)

Edited to add that I also use the cursive handwriting and my child loves it!!!  The addition of drawing is pretty neat.  At first she didn't like that so much but now she enjoys the challenge and can do pretty good :)

Thank you for your thoughts on the history!  What levels did you get for the Student Explorers?  Do they do any timeline work?  How many lessons are there for the year?  I think my dds would love the history game!

I had a similar experience with the K set, so we decided to go back and do the Pre-K first. The lessons are short and there aren't as many lessons in pre-k. There is lovely artwork and discussion questions as well as poetry. I was surprised how they introduced b and d together right away and have exercises distinguishing between the two. This is something that even older children struggle with.

I had a similar experience with the K set, so we decided to go back and do the Pre-K first. The lessons are short and there aren't as many lessons in pre-k. There is lovely artwork and discussion questions as well as poetry. I was surprised how they introduced b and d together right away and have exercises distinguishing between the two. This is something that even older children struggle with.

I just wish the K was free. We got level 1 to try out since DD placed in it, but she's a Ker so we'll see.

• Like 1

Thank you. Do you like it so far? And thanks, I did see where you can download the first 5 levels for free (can't get multi-quote to work).

So far it has been going good. I am looking what I see, and no complaints by students at this point.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thank you for all the details, Mona!  So are the quizzes mostly tied to the reading then?  Are there any other tests?  My dd is kind of burned out with all the CLE quizzes and tests.  Does she give grading rubrics/suggestions?

How much review is there?  We are, of course, used to the spiraling CLE review, but it is too much for my dd and not all of that is necessary for her.  However, some review is helpful.

How often would you say they are writing in TGaTB?

We are using Figuratively Speaking for literary terms this year and won't finish it.  Should we continue it next year, or would that be covered adequately in TGaTB?

What did you do OG-wise to help your spellers?

Do you think you will use TGaTB LA alongside MFW high school, or switch to the MFW LA?

Thanks!

Kathy

You're welcome! I only noticed 2 reading "quizzes" probably because they are done in the style I mentioned earlier, note taking practice to use for a quiz. Otherwise, comprehension questions are in the daily lessons. I know CLE usually has 2 or 3 quizzes and a test for each LU. I don't see any tests in TGaTB.

I had to pull our books out to answer some of your questions since we haven't gotten in to it far enough to know off the top of my head.

Going back to spelling: Spelling dictation covers spelling rules and patterns, list of words that are rule breakers and commonly misspelled words, grammar and punctuation rules, homophones, and commonly confused word pairs. I also noticed a section on editing in the course companion.

Large writing assignments are broken down into small assignments and connect writing with other learning in the course such as geography, art, and lit.

DD says that she is writing about every three lessons. 

I've used lots of spelling programs trying to get my kids spelling skills to match their reading skills, and the the Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading had the biggest impact with a lot of hand-holding. Unfortunately, you need to start at level one to use that program where as you can start further along using SWR which I learned about later. 

TGaTB level 8 is not out yet. Jenny's website says it should be released sometime in 2018. If it comes out soon enough, I will definitely continue with it. I wish it was complete so my oldest could use it, too.

He is currently using the MFW LA with AHL. I may add to the English next year for him. I think there is room for more to solidify the basics since we already read most of the recommended books that are suggested to be added to reading time. 

Also, she suggests that the course takes about 90 minutes when including the reading for the reading challenge. Everything seems to take dd about 40 minutes, but we are not counting the reading challenge.

We've used Figuratively Speaking, too. I'm not sure how it is covered in TGaTB yet. I do know that there is a literature analysis essay coming up in dd's course book, but haven't had the time to read through the assignment yet.

I have to head out for now, but hope this helps a little bit. 

• Like 1

This may totally mess up the plans for her history guides, but would it be possible to do certain units from each year instead of the complete year as written or are things building somehow to where starting at say, unit 3, would be problematic?

Thanks!

You're welcome! I only noticed 2 reading "quizzes" probably because they are done in the style I mentioned earlier, note taking practice to use for a quiz. Otherwise, comprehension questions are in the daily lessons. I know CLE usually has 2 or 3 quizzes and a test for each LU. I don't see any tests in TGaTB.

I had to pull our books out to answer some of your questions since we haven't gotten in to it far enough to know off the top of my head.

Going back to spelling: Spelling dictation covers spelling rules and patterns, list of words that are rule breakers and commonly misspelled words, grammar and punctuation rules, homophones, and commonly confused word pairs. I also noticed a section on editing in the course companion.

Large writing assignments are broken down into small assignments and connect writing with other learning in the course such as geography, art, and lit.

DD says that she is writing about every three lessons. 

I've used lots of spelling programs trying to get my kids spelling skills to match their reading skills, and the the Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading had the biggest impact with a lot of hand-holding. Unfortunately, you need to start at level one to use that program where as you can start further along using SWR which I learned about later. 

TGaTB level 8 is not out yet. Jenny's website says it should be released sometime in 2018. If it comes out soon enough, I will definitely continue with it. I wish it was complete so my oldest could use it, too.

He is currently using the MFW LA with AHL. I may add to the English next year for him. I think there is room for more to solidify the basics since we already read most of the recommended books that are suggested to be added to reading time. 

Also, she suggests that the course takes about 90 minutes when including the reading for the reading challenge. Everything seems to take dd about 40 minutes, but we are not counting the reading challenge.

We've used Figuratively Speaking, too. I'm not sure how it is covered in TGaTB yet. I do know that there is a literature analysis essay coming up in dd's course book, but haven't had the time to read through the assignment yet.

I have to head out for now, but hope this helps a little bit. 

Thanks for all the details, Mona!  I really appreciate your looking in your books to answer my questions!  It's so helpful to know about there not being tests (my dd will love that and hopefully it will help bring some of the joy back), and it's also great to hear that there are comprehension questions every day.  The writing sounds just right.

Did you ever try Megawords?  We are going to give that a go.

That's good to know about the time not being as long as she says.  I'm hearing that on the FB group, too.

So you haven't really seen literary terms/devices covered so far?  I'll probably keep up with Fig. Speaking then if it will be that long into the year before we cover that kind of stuff.  We may be able to finish it by then anyway.

Thanks again for your help!

• Like 1

I had not heard of this program before this post. The history won't work at all due to the world view, besides the fact that I'm not really looking for history. BUT I've been looking for a little something to do with my older pre-k'er next year (I'm not big on pre-k work but she has been harassing me non-stop so I'd love a bit of something). I love the look of the pre-k book and I think she will enjoy it so I went ahead and ordered it. I also downloaded a free pdf of grade 2, I might use part with my upcoming 2nd grader.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the details, Mona!  I really appreciate your looking in your books to answer my questions!  It's so helpful to know about there not being tests (my dd will love that and hopefully it will help bring some of the joy back), and it's also great to hear that there are comprehension questions every day.  The writing sounds just right.

Did you ever try Megawords?  We are going to give that a go.

That's good to know about the time not being as long as she says.  I'm hearing that on the FB group, too.

So you haven't really seen literary terms/devices covered so far?  I'll probably keep up with Fig. Speaking then if it will be that long into the year before we cover that kind of stuff.  We may be able to finish it by then anyway.

Thanks again for your help!

I had Megawords in my hands briefly and then sold it, but it was a long time ago. I've tried many programs over the years. Here are some in no particular order; AAS (level 1), Phonics Road (levels 1-4), SWR, Sequential Spelling , Simply Spelling (flop), Building Spelling Skills (used this a couple years), Phonetic Zoo, and a few others that I looked at and then passed along like ZB Spelling Connections.  :blush5:

Looking back, I was frantic trying to figure out what to do to get my children up to speed, but if I could go back, I would definitely use some sort of OG style spelling such as Spalding-The Writing Road to Reading and Spelling (4th edition), Phonics Road, SWR, and some sort of dictation like in TGaTB. 

Thankfully, we have plenty of choices for spelling. I hope Megawords works out for you! 

• Like 1

This may totally mess up the plans for her history guides, but would it be possible to do certain units from each year instead of the complete year as written or are things building somehow to where starting at say, unit 3, would be problematic?

Thanks!

Bumping this and quoting myself to see if anyone has any thoughts about this....

I had not heard of this program before this post. The history won't work at all due to the world view, besides the fact that I'm not really looking for history. BUT I've been looking for a little something to do with my older pre-k'er next year (I'm not big on pre-k work but she has been harassing me non-stop so I'd love a bit of something). I love the look of the pre-k book and I think she will enjoy it so I went ahead and ordered it. I also downloaded a free pdf of grade 2, I might use part with my upcoming 2nd grader.

I hope it works out for you!  I really like the looks of the LA, too.  It seems to pull together all the things I've tried to do eclectically for years now.  I'm really hoping it will streamline our day.

• Like 1

Thanks!

I don't have an answer as far as the unit progression goes, and I'm curious about that answer, too, but as of right now, only year 1 is written, so you'd have to wait for the other years to come out to be able to do this.  Year 2 is due out mid-June.  You'd also have to consider if the units you want to do can fit within a year's time frame, too, if that's important to you.

I had Megawords in my hands briefly and then sold it, but it was a long time ago. I've tried many programs over the years. Here are some in no particular order; AAS (level 1), Phonics Road (levels 1-4), SWR, Sequential Spelling , Simply Spelling (flop), Building Spelling Skills (used this a couple years), Phonetic Zoo, and a few others that I looked at and then passed along like ZB Spelling Connections.  :blush5:

Looking back, I was frantic trying to figure out what to do to get my children up to speed, but if I could go back, I would definitely use some sort of OG style spelling such as Spalding-The Writing Road to Reading and Spelling (4th edition), Phonics Road, SWR, and some sort of dictation like in TGaTB. 

Thankfully, we have plenty of choices for spelling. I hope Megawords works out for you! 

Thanks!  I feel like we don't have the time to do Spalding, PR, or SWR.  Those three programs all seem overwhelming to figure out.  My dd will be in 7th next year and math and science will be ramping up, along with LA.  Someone needs to develop a very straight forward OG program that is not cumbersome to use.  I hope Megawords will help us.

• Like 1

I hope it works out for you! I really like the looks of the LA, too. It seems to pull together all the things I've tried to do eclectically for years now. I'm really hoping it will streamline our day.

I hadn't heard of this program either... It looks very interesting, and I like streamlining! But I'm worried that my kid I'm thinking of using this for is just too different in the various LA areas... The free PDFs do make it tempting to put him in the first grade book and only use the parts that he needs. Skip all the reading/phonics stuff because he's already reading above grade level. How easy would this be to do?

I hadn't heard of this program either... It looks very interesting, and I like streamlining! But I'm worried that my kid I'm thinking of using this for is just too different in the various LA areas... The free PDFs do make it tempting to put him in the first grade book and only use the parts that he needs. Skip all the reading/phonics stuff because he's already reading above grade level. How easy would this be to do?

I haven't used any of the levels yet, but it seems like you would be able to skip around and just use the parts you need fairly easy.  Since it's free, you're not wasting money to do that.  There is a placement test based on how well they read.  Have you tried that?

• Like 1

I haven't used any of the levels yet, but it seems like you would be able to skip around and just use the parts you need fairly easy. Since it's free, you're not wasting money to do that. There is a placement test based on how well they read. Have you tried that?

Yes I saw that. My problem is he reads above grade level, but his writing is not likewise advanced. Nor is his maturity level. ;)

I've been using the K for my 1st grader. I downloaded it before she updated and when it was free so my version might be different from what is sold now. It is advanced but she is also behind. The spelling is a little confusing because their are words in the front and words incorporated in the lessons. It also has word lists at the beginning for sight words. 

I do love the phonics lessons, readers and little extras incorporated like the art pictures. My daughter enjoys the worksheets. We are doing the lessons on my ipad because my daughter likes that. We download it into adobe and can use the drawing tool to write on the pages. We do print the readers. 

I am going to be trying out the K and 1st from memoria press but I wouldn't hesitate to incorporate some of the artwork and reading lessons from the Good and Beautiful into our day if we want/need to. 

• Like 1

I've been using the K for my 1st grader. I downloaded it before she updated and when it was free so my version might be different from what is sold now. It is advanced but she is also behind. The spelling is a little confusing because their are words in the front and words incorporated in the lessons. It also has word lists at the beginning for sight words. 

I do love the phonics lessons, readers and little extras incorporated like the art pictures. My daughter enjoys the worksheets. We are doing the lessons on my ipad because my daughter likes that. We download it into adobe and can use the drawing tool to write on the pages. We do print the readers. 

I am going to be trying out the K and 1st from memoria press but I wouldn't hesitate to incorporate some of the artwork and reading lessons from the Good and Beautiful into our day if we want/need to. 

Thanks for the info.!  We used parts of Memoria Press for K and 1st and enjoyed it!  I really like their recitation and their art cards.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

About how many days long are the language arts programs?

Also, is it really non-denominational with no Mormon doctrine? I know she says it is, but I'm wondering if that's true.

Fourth grade:

128 lessons. Four per week with regular holiday breaks plus five weeks of sick or vacation days.

Absolutely no Mormon specific doctrine in the la, but definitely overtly Christian.

• 3 weeks later...

I just stumbled across these review videos for TGaTB...

Level 4 looks beautiful. :) So far all in ones have not worked very well here (LLATL and ELTL), much as I want them to, so I'm thinking I should stay away from this... Even though it's very tempting.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Oh wow, that companion book is so lovely! I also love and appreciate homeschool parents taking the time to do video reviews of curriculum. Such a help!

I would certainly love to hear more about parents who have used this and how their kids are doing. I have looked through all of level 1 and 2 and wasn't sure...it felt a bit scattered. I do love the idea of having everything combined though!

• Like 1