Menu

Questions about BJU science 6 with DVD

jkl

Hi!  I'm thinking of using this for ds next year.  I'd love to hear from anyone using this with the DVD. Can you tell me how the lessons work.  Does the child read the text, watch the DVD, do any experiments, and then do the activity book?  Are the experiments done on the video?  How long does each lesson take?  I'd love details!!!  I really want to outsource science next year  (I am not a science-minded person at all!).   ds does not do well when I just send him off to read and do experiments on his own.  I thought this might be a nice compromise.

We're doing the BJU science 4 right now. You can see samples of each grade. The lessons in gr 4 are usually around 10-18 minutes of actual video, but the reading of the text is usually woven in as pauses. I don't know if by gr 6 they just assign it. In gr 4, they'll still say pause, go read xy pages, then they'll resume and get the discussion of it. 

For the activity manual, it varies. It might have you doing part of it during the lesson by pausing, or it might say to go finish the page after the video is over. Usually for any labs they'll *demonstrate* it. Some people do the labs physically, and some don't bother. My ds is a kinesthetic learner, so we do them. 

I would still plan a typical 40 minute session for the class, simply because it will allow them to get everything done with no stress. They will send you a print copy of the lesson plans in a handy chart. What I do is *highlight* the lesson steps as we complete them. Btw, if you can stream rather than doing dvd, the streaming is really nice. Anyways, you can put that set of pages in the front of their notebook and then have them highlight as they complete things. That way you can quickly see what is coming next, what supplies they need, etc.

What you might want to do is start by supervising and fade as he gets the hang of it. So at first sit with him, prompting expected behavior (how to pay attention, when to pause, how to stay on track, how to highlight what you've completed, how to put your materials away, etc.). As soon as that is going well, which will probably be quickly, then you'll be able to just glance at the schedule and know when you need to be handy. There *are* days when there is no video. This is not something he'll necessarily do completely by himself. You'll still want to be available, and you'll want to gather those materials ahead of time to make it easy to do. If it's something complicated, you could choose to watch and not actually do the lab. 

BJU has been bumping all the levels of their materials, so right now the new science editions are pretty vigorous. The science is still age-appropriate, but the actual things they need to do (looking up verses, writing, etc.) are going to be a challenge for some kids. My ds has SLDs, so I really notice it. Might not be an issue for your dc. It's really good stuff, with lots of thinking woven in. I like it. Just saying that if he's a little shocked or finds it a step up, you'll want to be around to support till he gets the hang of it.

It's nice that you're jumping in now. It will get you on track to do some of their best levels. :)

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the detailed response!  I watched the demo lesson, and I think it would work well for next year.  I wish it was not so expensive or that I would at least own the DVDs to use with my other kids.  I'd love to have ds do the program 3 days per week and stretch it over 2 years, but not at that cost!!

Thank you so much for the detailed response!  I watched the demo lesson, and I think it would work well for next year.  I wish it was not so expensive or that I would at least own the DVDs to use with my other kids.  I'd love to have ds do the program 3 days per week and stretch it over 2 years, but not at that cost!!

I'm not sure if you already know this, but BJU usually has a $99 sale on their distance learning subjects in August or late July.  And, they give access for 18 months to the subject for no additional cost.

Science 6 with BJU is one of our very favorite courses.  It's the only one all of my kids have done.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if you already know this, but BJU usually has a $99 sale on their distance learning subjects in August or late July.  And, they give access for 18 months to the subject for no additional cost.

Science 6 with BJU is one of our very favorite courses.  It's the only one all of my kids have done.

Really? I was aware of the $99 sale in December, but have never heard of it in the summer. If this is true, my day will be made! Are you sure?

I have only seen the sale in Dec which is when I purchased our BJU Science 6.

It's working really well. My dd enjoys doing it on her own each day. I just check in and grade assignments. It's been painless. Whew! I'm thankful we tried it and I was very glad to have purchased it on sale!

That would be so nice if they did a sale

In the summer but since that is peak purchasing time for curriculum I would be surprised. Although veritas press often has multiple half price sales on their online learning. So who knows!

We are doing it now, and my son isn't a fan. He said he likes Mrs Erickson, but isn't as much of a fan of Mr. Harmon. So I told him to just do the chapters she teaches at this point.  It is hard to get him to do the work. He is a smart kid, so it's not lack of understanding. It's part lack of interest in science generally and part dislike of this course. I am not sure exactly why, but I will say this is the one class he complains about the most. (It's our only BJU online class at the moment.) If your child already doesn't love science, this might not be ideal. My older, science minded son took BJU life science (the 7th grade class) in 6th and liked it. We did most of the chapters but not all because it was for 6th grade. (We did a home made electronics class for 7th.)  I don't think he was super excited about it, but it was OK for him. I think he liked the subject matter. We did the streaming option for both. The interface has a learning curve, but it's not bad. This won't solve the lack of motivation to do independent work, though, because the student still has to watch the video and do the work. You may still have to be nearby to keep him on track. (My son has this issue.)

But it sounds like other people like it more than we do, so YMMV. Pretty much every curriculum is like that - some people like it, some don't. Pick whatever is a good fit for you. Hope this helps! Good luck!

This is funny, but my son likes Mr. Harmon more than Mrs. Erickson! Everyone is different, that's for sure.

Here's how we do it:

1. My son watches the video. They're usually between 20-30 minutes each. My son likes the videos/doesn't like the videos. He doesn't like taking the time to watch them, but after he's watched them and we're reading, he will be a font of information and pipe up with the things he's learned in the video. He loves telling me the things he's learned and gets bright-eyed when he does.

2. We read the text together out loud. My son would shrivel up and die if he had to read the text alone. And I don't think he'd get anything out of it. It's very text-booky and I find it pretty boring when we read it together. I can see him just passing out from boredom if he read it alone.

3. He does the worksheets alone.

I have a Teacher's Guide from the previous addition and there are demonstrations in the Teacher's Guide that I can do with my son. I prefer to do those with him and not just have him watch them on the video. Also, not all of the demonstrations are on the videos. Some are, some aren't. On a day when there's a demonstration, I do it before I let my son watch the video. Then he can watch and sometimes he'll see the demo again, and sometimes he won't because they don't always do them.

Are you guys sure they show the experiments in the videos? I never knew they showed the whole experiment because we don't watch the video on experiment day. We always do them live for ourselves.

We've found the experiments to be a success for the most part and not too onerous to do. After my son's high school biology class where one experiment could easily take us 2-3 hours, the 20 minute experiments for 6th grade suddenly seem like a cake walk. When my oldest was in 6th, they seemed to be such a hassle, but now they seem so easy. I wish I'd done more with my oldest when he was younger, but I thought it was all so hard back then.

Overall, I'm glad I got the videos. I think the text alone is too dry and the videos liven it up. I would never leave him alone reading that text, even after the videos.

Note: in the first lesson, the teacher says to read the text first before the videos, but I do it the other way around.

Edited by Garga