Menu

Curriculum choices for spelling by dictation

Teneo

I am interested in a few options for spelling. I like the idea of dictation.

This is Simply Spelling. The children read excellent writing, copy it, and then learn the associated rule. A dictation is given at the end of the lesson to see if they know it. I like how the rule is highlighted, whereas in Spelling Wisdom it seems to be all intuition.

http://shoelacebooks.weebly.com/store/p5/SIMPLY_SPELLING_3-12.html it goes up for many levels.

I'm considering Spelling Wisdom, which Cathy Duffy speaks highly of on her website. I like how the child is memorizing famous poems etc and writing is minimal (you study it, not copy it, before the written dictation).

I like the look of Spelling You See in that it goes over the rules, has dictation, connects to other things the child may be learning and is colorful. But is the writing as quality as the quotes in Simply Spelling or Spelling Wisdom? And the examples look like the student does almost exactly the same thing each day. Is this true?

Wheeler's is considered a classic timeless work. You copy some sentences which are famous quotations that illustrate a spelling rule, and at the end of the week are supposed to be able to spell the words.It's free. https://archive.org/details/wheelersgradeds00wheegoog

Any thoughts or suggestions on these?

Edited by Teneo

Have you heard of Silver Moon Spelling Rules? It's a supplemental program that is multisensory, explicit and cumulative. It was created for struggling spellers so it follows an Orton Gillingham style approach. Each lesson teaches a spelling rule and each spelling rule has a name and image to support memory. There are real and nonsense words, pre/post tests and independent practice pages. Full disclosure - I am the creator of Silver Moon. It's helped many teachers and parents make sense of teaching spelling by rule using an explicit lesson format. Here's a link if you want to check it out. http://readlearningservices.com/products/silver-moon-introduction/

post-96567-0-64597000-1488644227_thumb.png

post-96567-0-64597000-1488644227_thumb.png

Spelling you see- yes they study the same passage every day for a whole week. Tho they copy sightly different portions of it each day. I don't see rules highlighted in the early levels, but I know level G covers them. Not sure if they start including then in levels D-F. The passages seem to all be non fiction (except the mother goose rhymes in level B) which is different from the famous quotes and stuff used in the other books you mentioned. So I'd say yes the literary quality is not as high. But I've only used levels a&b, next year I'll be using levels b, c and g with my kids

I have simply spelling, but it never seemed to be quite right for what I wanted. If you're interested I have a printed and spiral bound copy I'd be willing to sell. ;)

• Like 1

Spelling you see- yes they study the same passage every day for a whole week. Tho they copy sightly different portions of it each day. I don't see rules highlighted in the early levels, but I know level G covers them. Not sure if they start including then in levels D-F. The passages seem to all be non fiction (except the mother goose rhymes in level B) which is different from the famous quotes and stuff used in the other books you mentioned. So I'd say yes the literary quality is not as high. But I've only used levels a&b, next year I'll be using levels b, c and g with my kids

I have simply spelling, but it never seemed to be quite right for what I wanted. If you're interested I have a printed and spiral bound copy I'd be willing to sell. ;)

I'd love to hear more about your experiences. What seemed to be missing in Simply Spelling? What is it about Spelling You See that you prefer? Thanks!

I'd love to hear more about your experiences. What seemed to be missing in Simply Spelling? What is it about Spelling You See that you prefer? Thanks!

I didn't mean something was missing in simply spelling, it just didn't seem to fit my kids at the time. When I was looking for ready made copy work, I also needed it to be in cursive (so went with ELTL workbooks). Then later I had a kid who really need help seeing the words in detail, so I went with spelling you see because of the marking. Also my kids did better with the writing lines being on the same page as the passage.

Simply spelling does highlight rules, which is nice. I had actually forgotten about it. If I hadn't already bought spelling you see level G, I could have used SS with my oldest next year. Oh well

• Like 1

Thank you for asking this question.  I'm interested in Spelling U See also, but I'm just not sure about it.  I had not heard of Wheeler's before, so I clicked your link.  Their first rule is if a word ends with the sound of a "t" then spell it with a "t" instead of "ed" such as burnt, instead of burned.  This would not follow what our modern day spelling teaches.  I like and prefer those older spellings, but it just isn't what our children will read most of the time.  I'm almost to the point of going with SpellWell for my ds.  I'm thinking of Spellbound for my dd's.

• Like 1

I didn't mean something was missing in simply spelling, it just didn't seem to fit my kids at the time. When I was looking for ready made copy work, I also needed it to be in cursive (so went with ELTL workbooks). Then later I had a kid who really need help seeing the words in detail, so I went with spelling you see because of the marking. Also my kids did better with the writing lines being on the same page as the passage.

Simply spelling does highlight rules, which is nice. I had actually forgotten about it. If I hadn't already bought spelling you see level G, I could have used SS with my oldest next year. Oh well

This was very helpful. I sent you a message.

I am interested in a few options for spelling. I like the idea of dictation.

This is Simply Spelling. The children read excellent writing, copy it, and then learn the associated rule. A dictation is given at the end of the lesson to see if they know it. I like how the rule is highlighted, whereas in Spelling Wisdom it seems to be all intuition.

http://shoelacebooks.weebly.com/store/p5/SIMPLY_SPELLING_3-12.html it goes up for many levels.

I'm considering Spelling Wisdom, which Cathy Duffy speaks highly of on her website. I like how the child is memorizing famous poems etc and writing is minimal (you study it, not copy it, before the written dictation).

I like the look of Spelling You See in that it goes over the rules, has dictation, connects to other things the child may be learning and is colorful. But is the writing as quality as the quotes in Simply Spelling or Spelling Wisdom? And the examples look like the student does almost exactly the same thing each day. Is this true?

Wheeler's is considered a classic timeless work. You copy some sentences which are famous quotations that illustrate a spelling rule, and at the end of the week are supposed to be able to spell the words.It's free. https://archive.org/details/wheelersgradeds00wheegoog

Any thoughts or suggestions on these?

Some children will do well with those; others will need more instruction.

I'm a fan of Spalding. It's comprehensive, and it simultaneously covers penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, and simple writing. You get everything you'll ever need, for children of all ages, with a one-time purchase of less than $50 (each child 8 and over will need a new spelling notebook each year).

Some children will do well with those; others will need more instruction.

I'm a fan of Spalding. It's comprehensive, and it simultaneously covers penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, and simple writing. You get everything you'll ever need, for children of all ages, with a one-time purchase of less than $50 (each child 8 and over will need a new spelling notebook each year).

Yes, the Spalding method is how I taught my son to read. I agree it works marvelously, and it's quite easy to teach once you learn how to mark everything! :) I am trying to move towards dictation for him now. You can bet any questions he has while we do dictation he'll be pointed back towards applying all that. Thanks for your great advice.