Menu

I ate something I shouldn't have, now I feel sick.

foxbridgeacademy

So I've never cooked with ground turkey before but trying to eat healthier so I thought I'd give it a try.  I cooked the turkey like you do ground beef and when it was no longer pink I drained it an tasted it (2 small bites). Really weird flavor but since I was making cabbage rolls I figured the sauce might cover it up.  After cooking the cabbage rolls for another 45 minutes I tasted the turkey again, no weird flavor, plus texture wasn't so mushy. I realized that the turkey must have not been cooked all the way and that's why it tasted kind of gross and mushy.  So if it's not pink is ground turkey done enough to eat?

And yes, I'm starting to feel sick but I am willing to consider that it's all in my head.

Yeah, that's what DH and the kids said too, after they stopped laughing at me.  I've been hospitalized for food poisoning three times and had "mild" symptoms of it at least another 1/2 dozen times (not from my own cooking) so I'm a bit gun-shy. 

Oh, I hear ya. I had food poisoning once and it was so awful I wanted to die. I don't blame you for being worried, but you'll be just fine. Try not to worry about it, and feel better.  :grouphug:

• Like 1

It should be done if it's not pink.  I guess it was just on the edge of done or something?  It shouldn't be mushy.  I greatly dislike beef, so I cook with ground turkey a lot instead of ground beef.  It really cooks the same way, so you should have been fine.  There are no special tricks to cooking with it.  I guess it was just slightly undercooked.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

Personally, I find ground turkey pretty gross. It always has an odor. I can use it in just a couple of recipes that have other strong flavor to mask it.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's not going to be a "thing" here.  I could probably mix it in with beef but the texture and slight, gamey? taste was just not good for me. Thing is I like sliced turkey breast, you'd think I'd be okay with ground turkey.

* I am starting to feel less "yuck", so yeah, I freaked out over nothing.

It's no big deal that you freaked out over nothing. I have had food poisoning more than once and I am a bit paranoid about eating undercooked food or food that smells odd before cooking, too, so I can understand why you were worried that you might be getting sick. :grouphug:

I'm glad you're feeling better!

Edited for typo!

Edited by Catwoman

Yeah, I'm thinking it's not going to be a "thing" here.  I could probably mix it in with beef but the texture and slight, gamey? taste was just not good for me. Thing is I like sliced turkey breast, you'd think I'd be okay with ground turkey.

* I am starting to feel less "yuck", so yeah, I freaked out over nothing.

Yep. I otherwise eat turkey, but ground turkey...  :ack2:

I do use it in chili sometimes and a pizza pasta bake I do (which also has tons of cheese and pepperoni, so....so much for trying to make a meal healthier, LOL).  But both of those have enough other textures (beans or pepperoni or noodles, etc) and flavors to mask the turkey.