Menu

Audio book ideas for trip?

TABmom

We're going to be spending a lot of time in the car in a couple weeks. I'd love some ideas for audio books for a 9 year old boy and a 6 yo girl. The girl does NOT like listening to audio books, so I really need something with an engaging narrator or something really funny. We do switch off and let her have music sometimes, but that gets old too. Thanks!

Here are a few that come to mind:

Winnie the Pooh - we loved this on audio and my dd was older than 9 when we listened to it.  I think it works well for the ages of your kids.  There are some truly funny moments and I would absolutely go with Peter Dennis as your narrator.

The Green Ember - very engaging story...I didn't love the narrator but my dd liked him.

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - Michael York does a fantastic job narrating this.

Edited by jjeepa

(also posted on your other thread with the same title)

These are my DC's favorites, ages 10 & 7: 

The Penderwicks

Hank the Cowdog

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Where the Red Fern Grows

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Five Little Peppers and How They Grew

Castle In the Attic

anything Beverly Cleary

King Arthur and the Knights of the Roundtable

Matilda

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: Focus on the Family version

Wayside School: Sideways Stories - bizarre but funny

My Side of the Mountain

Edited by ChrisB

The Tale of Despereaux was wonderfully done. I am always amazed at the way the narrators can do different voices. 

My Father's Dragon

Anything Roald Dahl

Wayside School

The New Kid on the Block poems (on long rides it was nice to slip in something short and light in between novels) I've checked out a couple other similar audio books of silly poems (the names escape me) and my kids have loved them.

Edited by DesertBlossom

Maybe brains on podcast? It's a science themed podcast, each about 20 min long of shorter acted out and kid friendly topics.

Also classical kids audio CDs. Each one is based on a different composer with either a fictional or nonfictional storyline. They are all excellent and music based stories.