Menu

Science for two ages that gets it done

Good afternoon brilliant homeschooling mamas!  I have two kiddos who will be 4th and 2nd grade next year.  We are going to do Sonlight B+C and I need a science!! I am somewhat lazy and if anything doesn't get done here it would probably be experiments.  I was looking at Science in the Beginning, but read there is an activity every lesson??  Oy.  

I'm not against experiments or activities, but need a happy balance. I also like to do both of the kids at the same time. Any suggestions?  

Could you do interest led, with each child getting to rotate who picks the next topic?  Maybe change out every 3-6 weeks.  There are a lot of short term unit studies out there or you could just get books from the library (including maybe some younger biographies) and add in some documentaries/Kid friendly science based TV shows.

Or do you need something that is scheduled?

Could you do interest led, with each child getting to rotate who picks the next topic?  Maybe change out every 3-6 weeks.  There are a lot of short term unit studies out there or you could just get books from the library (including maybe some younger biographies) and add in some documentaries/Kid friendly science based TV shows.

Or do you need something that is scheduled?

I love the idea of this, but I don't trust myself to execute it very well. Some guidance would be nice.  Maybe if I had a list of resources I could come up with a loose schedule for the first half of the year and see how I do!  

• Like 1

Take a look at the Christian Kids Explore series, by Bright Ideas Press. They have Earth & Space, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, and Creation Science. There are experiments if you want, but also coloring pages and other activities (word search, crossword puzzle, etc) which add interest without the work of an experiment. It was easy enough for me that it got done and the kids learned a lot and liked it. And it's inexpensive.

https://www.brightideaspress.com/product-category/science/

We did Science in the Beginning for those exact ages. If you don't feel like doing the activity, which is usually 5 min or less each time, YouTube videos are easily found. Even then, just reading the lesson does get the information across. Don't let the activity requirement deter you. The planned multi level questions at the end were so worth it.

Plus, there are free fully printable and prepared notebook pages. It really does become an easily implementable program.

• Like 1

Living books for topics they are interested in, supplemented with videos if you find something interesting. Experiments and activities as you feel like it and time allows. Children can rotate choosing a science topic for the month or quarter or whatever.

This worked well for us in the younger ages. It kept a lively interest in science as they got to choose what they were interested in most. I get that some people need more structure so if you are more that type I agree with the mystery science recommendations. You could even alternate them and see what you like better. You could rotate a mom pick in there and your pick could be a topic from mystery science to try it out.

• Like 2

We did Science in the Beginning for those exact ages. If you don't feel like doing the activity, which is usually 5 min or less each time, YouTube videos are easily found. Even then, just reading the lesson does get the information across. Don't let the activity requirement deter you. The planned multi level questions at the end were so worth it.

Plus, there are free fully printable and prepared notebook pages. It really does become an easily implementable program.

:iagree:  I love this program, and so do my kids! The questions at the end of each lesson are great, and even my 5yo tags along and has her own science notebook. We only do one lesson per week and add living books, so we are spreading it out over a couple of years. I am a big fan of BFSU and this is the closest thing I could find that was open-and-go and and easy to get done.

Brand new here, but I had to jump in and say we are using and loving everything about Science in the Beginning! I am also horrible at keeping up with activities but I promise these are these are super simple and really fun! I hated science in school and I think it was because science needs to be experienced not just delivered. I am watching the lightbulb go on with each experiment and science has become our favorite this year!