Menu

Extra linens - how much to keep on hand?

Seasider

I am changing linens today and realized I have accumulated all kinds of extra sheets and such.

I would really like to minimize and get rid of anything I don't really need to keep. So here's what I'm thinking I truly need-

- one set for each actual bed (that will mostly always be in place actually on those beds)

- one set for each thing that can become a bed when guests are here (air mattresses, sofa sleeper)

- a bin of a few items for camping

- any heirloom items (a couple of quilts made by a grand/great grandperson)

I also have a couple of old sheets in the workroom for painting dropcloths. Any reason to keep any more than what I've noted? Have any of you tossed extra linens only to later wish you hadn't?

Yes, I realize I am overthinking this! But validation helps!

• Like 1

What about an extra set for each size of bed you have in the house in case there's a medical or nighttime emergency that causes you to need to change sheets on the fly or in the middle of the night. Each bed doesn't need it's own extra set, unless you have all different sized beds. 

• Like 12

Yeah, an extra set for each bed.  I envy someone who can strip the bed, wash and dry the sheets, and get them back on the bed in the same day - on a regular basis.  I can do it, but it's rather extraordinary and requires too much planning.  :-)

We also keep a set of flannel sheets for each bed.  So, 3 sets per "permanent" bed.  One of those would also be used if we needed the blowup mattress or had to put together a makeshift bed on the floor, etc. 

• Like 2

Normally I wash sheets and put them back on the bed the same day.  Rarely there is a need to put a sheet on sooner than the wash is done.  So for me, the minimum is one extra set of sheets for each size bed.  :)  Similar comment for towels.

The reality is that we have more, but not much more.  When we remodeled, the linen closet ceased to exist, so extra sheets and towels are stored in the bedroom closets, naturally discouraging excess.  :)

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

I prefer a minimum of two  sets per bed - so I dont' have to wait for them to be washed to remake the bed.

three - four pillowcases per pillow. so they can be changed more often.

Pillowcases - lately, we can never have enough. The kid with acne is changing daily (or is supposed to).   But at least they are small.  :-)

Two sets per bed, one you use and one for backup (or rotate), and then if you need an emergency/temporary bed (couch, armatures, whatever) use one of those extra sets. 

Plus a few extra pillowcases. Not sure why, but I have a neurotic need to keep pillowcases. It's a sickness. 

Ok, great tips, thanks!

So I will add, one extra set for each permanently set up bed, stored in those bedroom closets.

Extra pillowcases. So glad y'all mentioned that. I used to change those much more frequently but I guess I've gotten lax since my allergies haven't been too bad the last few months.

Edited by Seasider

The reason I wash and put the sheets back on is that it saves the extra steps of folding and storing the sheets.  Not because I'm a great housekeeper, because I'm a lazy one.  :)

HA! I'm convinced that people that can fold fitted sheets are witches. Mine end up a jumble, but I hide them under the folded flat sheet so I don't have to look at them. And yes, pretty much store one set and use the other set for the same reason, not wanting to fold them. 

SaveSave

• Like 10

The reason I wash and put the sheets back on is that it saves the extra steps of folding and storing the sheets.  Not because I'm a great housekeeper, because I'm a lazy one.  :)

I do this because I find that unless you change sheets very often (I don't - lazy here too), the ones from the cabinet smell stale. Even after a week. I am very sensitive to odors though. 

I would never get rid of any fitted sheets, as I am always wearing holes in those and having to replace them. 

• Like 2

I do this because I find that unless you change sheets very often (I don't - lazy here too), the ones from the cabinet smell stale. Even after a week. I am very sensitive to odors though. 

I would never get rid of any fitted sheets, as I am always wearing holes in those and having to replace them. 

I actually like the smell of stale linens. I am weird. 

• Like 2

HA! I'm convinced that people that can fold fitted sheets are witches. Mine end up a jumble, but I hide them under the folded flat sheet so I don't have to look at them. And yes, pretty much store one set and use the other set for the same reason, not wanting to fold them. 

SaveSave

Yeah, I've watched this video a dozen times, and I am still incapable of folding fitted sheets. I prefer to use flat sheets for the mattress anyway.

I keep TWO nice sets for every bed. This allows you to change the bed all at once -- very handy when someone is sick or you have a million houseguests and need to change lots of linens all at once (especially if you have back-to-back guests!) Just yesterday, I wanted to change my son's sheets right quick while he was in the shower, because he has the flu and is living in bed at the moment . . . Couldn't wait to wash/dry the sheets!! 

Plus I keep a couple spare sets and misc. pillow cases for random sleepovers for the blow up mattress/etc. These are the sheets that my kids are allowed to drag around on their sleeping-piles-of-pillows-etc that they make in the basement during sleepovers. 

And, if they are really nice sets in larger bed sizes, I hold on to the sets for my teens for when they set up households  . . . When my college-dd got a Q bed in her new house, I had lots of nice sheet sets for her to choose from -- two perfect, complete, like-new sets went with her for her new bed, plus a great duvet set. Saved us $500 or more for all those high quality linens . . . (My mom had passed away not long ago, and she had a zillion sets of nice sheets . . . so I saved most of them for this purpose.) 

• Like 1

We have one set on each bed, and one spare set per size.  We have 3 full and 1 queen size beds....so one extra queen set and one extra full set, that is it.  The queen set also fits the air mattress.   Years ago the kids each had a flannel and regular set, but they stopped caring about the flannel set so they went away.

I hate having extras of things laying around all day/every day that I may use once in two years.   If for some reason, I would need to change two beds in one night, they would have to lay on a blanket for the night, or 1 hour to wash/dry the set. 

I wash/dry and put sheets back on the beds the same day.  I don't like piles of laundry laying around (no real laundry room) and they are done washing/drying one hour anyways.  

We have extra blankets for sleep overs/power outages and extra pillows.  That is about it. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

We have one set on each bed, and one spare set per size. We have 3 full and 1 queen size beds....so one extra queen set and one extra full set, that is it. The queen set also fits the air mattress. Years ago the kids each had a flannel and regular set, but they stopped caring about the flannel set so they went away.

I hate having extras of things laying around all day/every day that I may use once in two years. If for some reason, I would need to change two beds in one night, they would have to lay on a blanket for the night, or 1 hour to wash/dry the set.

I wash/dry and put sheets back on the beds the same day. I don't like piles of laundry laying around (no real laundry room) and they are done washing/drying one hour anyways.

We have extra blankets for sleep overs/power outages and extra pillows. That is about it.

This is how I'm feeling about it - I only want to keep what's necessary. It's true that the second sheets for current beds could be used on the air mattress and sofa sleeper, so I could get away with not saving additional for those.

Honestly, too, sheet sets are so reasonably priced at IKEA, if I did suddenly find I need more, I could restock. Many of my linens are... mature!

Thanks again for all the input.

We have two sets of sheets per bed (more for the crib); one set is regular for warmer months and the other is flannel for cooler months.  95% of the time I just strip the beds, wash the sheets and remake the beds all in one day.  If, however, a bed had to be remade in the middle of the night, or if something came up and I was unable to get the sheets washed by bedtime, we could always put the other set of sheets on even if that meant sleeping on flannel for a couple nights in July.

I change pillow cases twice a week (and the rest of the sheets once a week), so we have four sets of pillow cases for each bed.

We also have sheets for the guest futon and some extras to throw on couches as necessary.

We are sheet rich - you should see the forts we can erect with clothes pins if we empty the linen closet.

Wendy

• Like 1

I got rid of so many extra sets that were just taking up space. 

We have 4 queen sized beds and one king. 

I still have kids who wet the bed, throw up at night, and the like.   We layer the beds.   

Waterproof mattress cover

sheet

waterproof mattress cover

sheet

I have 2 -3 such layers on all beds.  Kid gets sick or pees in the night strip 2 layers and lay them back down.  Plus saves me space.

We used to not do it and the searching for sheets and stuff in the middle of the night sucked.  This sucks much less.

• Like 4

Nope!  We never really had extra linens.  Two sets per bed, but we only use one set in the master.  Bamboo sheets--can't go back.  :)  So I wash them weekly and put them right back on the bed.  I cut up our old sheets into "yarn" that will one day become a crocheted rag rug...in like 12 years.  ;)

We have two double beds plus a sofa bed of the same size and three sets of that size of sheet (the sofa bed is not used often).  We have several sets of singles left over from when the boys used them - my mum has a single bed and I am anticipating possibly needing to change more frequently in the future.  We have four sets for our queen bed: two summer and two (flannel) for winter, because that's a luxury that Aldi provided for us.....  I donated a lot of sheets recently.

These comments are funny. I have a bad habit of washing bedding later in the day or forgetting about it. Then when it's time for bed I may remember that something is still in the dryer and I'm so tired I'd rather just put the spare set on than wait for the dryer to finish. I don't have a linen closet. I will fold my sheets and place them in one of the bins when I get around to it. I would like to downsize the number of items/bins though lol.

I have two sets for our master bedroom. I have extra bedding in various places in the house (storage bins under beds and one under the futon for the futon mattress). I think I have too much. I'm also trying to figure out what to get rid of. We no longer own a queen bed, but still own a queen futon which is the only reason I've hung onto the queen set. They can fit on ds' full, but not very well.

I agree with the thought that if you have more than one bed that fits one size, you don't need too many spares. But if every bed is a different size then you may want a spare for each.

• Like 1

For many years, I just had one set of sheets for each bed. No one told me I should have more, lol.

But now that I'm all grown up and have been married forever, I have three sets of sheets for my bed (and yes, the fitted sheets are folded so that you cannot tell them from the flat sheets. I'm wizardly like that), but one set for each of the guest rooms, because they are rarely used. I also have a light blanket for each guest bed, and two for my bed (one heavy, one light).

Each bed has 4 sets total. 2 sets of light weight sheets and 2 sets of flannel sheets. I use those ziploc vacuum cubes to put the sets in when not in use.

Old, worn sheets are drop cloths, garden covers, etc until they are worn out completely.

A couple winters ago I bought ds some flannel sheets. Turns out he didn't like the fabric. Dh doesn't like flannel, either. Ugh.