Menu

Need review sheets--R&S or MM?

sea_mommy

We are currently using a mastery based program.  I like it and it seems to work for our ds, but I think that he needs a bit more review of topics in order to keep them fresh.  I was thinking of getting him some worksheets and having him complete one each day or so in order to keep "old" topics fresh in his mind.

The two that I'm considering are R&S and MM review pages--any suggestions for which might be better in this instance?

R&S 1 covers +/- through 10 and a handful of other concepts like fractions, cups, skip counting, and such. My kids used it for kindy.

2 covers +/- through 20 and that handful expands. (We actually found this level redundant and skipped swaths of it for my average and mathy learners.)

3 starts x/÷ basics. I don't remember long division kicking in until 4. 4 really picks up speed and catches up from their gentle start.

The tests and speed drills books for the higher grades probably aren't very useful if you're not using their math.

If you don't mind printing math-drills.com may be useful. :)

Edited by SilverMoon

R&S 1 covers +/- through 10 and a handful of other concepts like fractions, cups, skip counting, and such. My kids used it for kindy.

2 covers +/- through 20 and that handful expands. (We actually found this level redundant and skipped swaths of it for my average and mathy learners.)

3 starts x/÷ basics. I don't remember long division kicking in until 4. 4 really picks up speed and catches up from their gentle start.

The tests and speed drills books for the higher grades probably aren't very useful if you're not using their math.

If you don't mind printing math-drills.com may be useful. :)

Thank you for all of the information!  At what grade do you think the tests and speed drills would no longer be useful?  I really am just looking for more practice on the basics, in order to keep them fresh.  It seems like if we stray away for too long, he starts to forget. 

I've tried printing off math-drills before and it just never gets done.  I thought that *I* might be more consistent if I just had a workbook to pull a sheet from each day. 

Math mammoth has review books. We have found them very helpful. It's a download so you can print just what you want, in each review book they cover the topics then have mixed review. I usually print all of the mixed reviews for the grade for summer practice.

For easy spiral during the school year, I added Math Minutes for my older two this year and that has been helpful.

Thank you for all of the information!  At what grade do you think the tests and speed drills would no longer be useful?  I really am just looking for more practice on the basics, in order to keep them fresh.  It seems like if we stray away for too long, he starts to forget. 

I've tried printing off math-drills before and it just never gets done.  I thought that *I* might be more consistent if I just had a workbook to pull a sheet from each day. 

The R&S test and speed drills don't really have that much practice. There's not much on the drills and there's only a dozen or so chapter tests. I don't think it's really what you're looking for.

What about getting just the workbook for a more spiral program a level behind or so? Horizons, CLE, etc.

The R&S test and speed drills don't really have that much practice. There's not much on the drills and there's only a dozen or so chapter tests. I don't think it's really what you're looking for.

What about getting just the workbook for a more spiral program a level behind or so? Horizons, CLE, etc.

Hmmm.  I'm thinking that this might be what I do.  I looked at a few other programs and they all have the answers in the Teacaher's manual, which I would have to buy also.  Honestly, even though it's simple math, I'd prefer to not figure it out while trying to balance everything else.  :)  R&S Grade 3 has a workbook and a Teacher's answer workbook--do you think that these would work?

Are you familiar with the blacklines?  Do these come with answers?