Menu

Dumb question: are there gummy pain killers such as ibuprofen?

SKL

Inspired by the "period kit" thread.  Some suggested packing some Advil, but I am wondering how my kids will take the Advil if they are at school when it's needed.  Gummies would work though.  Is gummy non-aspirin painkiller a thing?  Does anyone here use them?

The only time I've ever needed Motrin for that was during when I was premenopausal.

I think building their period up as a horrible time where they'll need medicine, (and chocolate and lots of emotional space) is totally unnecessary. My dd has never needed Motrin (except for an occasional headache and likely it's unrelated). I'd let her know it might happen, but it's really unlikely and she can come to you if she needs to. I'd make sure she's peppered, but not overdo it.

And, I'd assume nearly every school wouldn't allow kids to carry medicine anyway.

• Like 6

Check with the school to see if OTC meds are allowed in student possession (in my dd's school they are not--- same for every school I've worked in).

My dd is in high school and can ask to go to nurse at any time during class.  She can also go between classes or at lunch.  DD says it is a quick stop and nurse has cups for water available.

• Like 3

Chewable tablets... check the dosage based on weight.

But be aware of any rules the school has regarding medication, it may have to be held in the nurses office. Around here, kids can't just carry medicines with them. Even epi pens and inhalers need a special note for the student to carry them.

Editing to ask: why would they need gummies medicine? I can't imagine an office not being able to provide water to take a pill.

Unless the child cannot swallow pills... I had one of those! Due to her adult size, she needed two entire bottles of chewable children's ibuprofen every cycle... I explained the cost difference of 100 doses for $5 vs 4 doses out of every $12 bottle. Eventually she was able to take regular ibuprofen.

Edited by Rebel Yell
  • Like 3

Unless the child cannot swallow pills... I had one of those! Due to her adult size, she needed two entire bottles of chewable children's ibuprofen every cycle... I explained the cost difference of 100 doses for $5 vs 4 doses out of every $12 bottle. Eventually she was able to take regular ibuprofen.

How did she eventually learn to swallow pills? I have a 17 year old who can't swallow pills. We either need to find chewables for him, or capsules that can be sprinkled on whipped cream. Ugh. There are some medications he can't take because he refuses to learn how to swallow pills. He tells me he's afraid he'll choke to death. I tell him I've never yet heard of someone who died trying to swallow a pill, and he says he'll probably be the first. Poor guy.

Does your child's school not provide means of drinking water during the day? Every school my kids have gone to has drinking fountains or water dispensers (with children expected to bring water bottles to be filled) and access to water throughout the day, though not necessarily at desks in classrooms.

While I agree that building up the period as terrible thing is not really helpful, some women have MUCH worse cramps than others. I started out fine, but about five years after I started the cramps began getting a lot worse. To suggest that needing ibuprofen is "really unlikely" across the board kind of negates the experiences of girls who have bad cramps (probably there are plenty who had it much worse than I). I wouldn't want to tell my daughter that and have her scared there was something wrong because she did need something. 

The only time I've ever needed Motrin for that was during when I was premenopausal.

I think building their period up as a horrible time where they'll need medicine, (and chocolate and lots of emotional space) is totally unnecessary. My dd has never needed Motrin (except for an occasional headache and likely it's unrelated). I'd let her know it might happen, but it's really unlikely and she can come to you if she needs to. I'd make sure she's peppered, but not overdo it.

And, I'd assume nearly every school wouldn't allow kids to carry medicine anyway.

• Like 12

How did she eventually learn to swallow pills? I have a 17 year old who can't swallow pills. We either need to find chewables for him, or capsules that can be sprinkled on whipped cream. Ugh. There are some medications he can't take because he refuses to learn how to swallow pills. He tells me he's afraid he'll choke to death. I tell him I've never yet heard of someone who died trying to swallow a pill, and he says he'll probably be the first. Poor guy.

I read in parents magazine to start with candy.  Like nerds.  

And move up to bigger ones for practice. 

You could also get tiny pills to do more practice.   I started having my kids do pill probotics that were tiny.  

Sometimes doing it in food is easier.  Like applesauce and yogurt.

• Like 2

My kids can swallow pills, but taking pills at a water fountain has always been complicated for me.  :)

I would rather they could avoid going to the nurse if they preferred.  The idea being not having to explain to their male teacher what is going on.  :)

However, good point about schools not allowing OTC meds.  I forgot about that.

As for whether they will need it, I remember my first period and the horrible cramps I got while out shopping with my mom.  I had to suffer, writhing in public, for a good hour.  Maybe that is unusual, and if so, I'm glad to hear it.  :)

I read in parents magazine to start with candy.  Like nerds.  

And move up to bigger ones for practice. 

You could also get tiny pills to do more practice.   I started having my kids do pill probotics that were tiny.  

Sometimes doing it in food is easier.  Like applesauce and yogurt.

We've tried all of these and nothing works. I guess because he doesn't really want to try. He's even chewed pills at times.

I've offered money, treats, etc. Maybe I need to make learning how to swallow a pill a high school graduation requirement, lol.

Not to scare you, but I have a 56-year-old friend who cannot swallow round pills of any size.  Oblong pills are fine.  I don't get it ....

• Like 1

I hope your dd isn't like I was. My mom didn't get it. I would pass out from time to time and couldn't function 2 days a month. As an adult I'd totally go to the doctor for that nor would I allow my dd to live like that on a monthly basis. But my mom didn't get it. There were 2 types of lady teachers as school. The ones who'd had bad period and understood and the ones who didn't and thought girls were faking. I know who I preferred.

I don't build up periods like they're always going to be awful but they're definitely not a minor problem.

However, I don't give free passes on unkind behavior for any reason. Not to myself or my girls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

My kids can swallow pills, but taking pills at a water fountain has always been complicated for me. :)

I would rather they could avoid going to the nurse if they preferred. The idea being not having to explain to their male teacher what is going on. :)

However, good point about schools not allowing OTC meds. I forgot about that.

As for whether they will need it, I remember my first period and the horrible cramps I got while out shopping with my mom. I had to suffer, writhing in public, for a good hour. Maybe that is unusual, and if so, I'm glad to hear it. :)

I don't know if it's unusual, but I had the worst cramps of my life when I was a teen. I haven't suffered too much in my 20's and 30's. But I have a lot of memories of my mother rubbing my feet while I curled up in a ball of pain on my bed. And one particularly awful time on a family trip at Waterton Lakes when I was 14. My cramps were so bad that the whole family was delayed in doing whatever activity we had planned that morning while I writhed in pain for a couple of hours. Good times. I put some Motrin in DD's period kit, but she hasn't needed it yet. She's just getting started, though.

• Like 2

She can still only swallow the smallest pills... I think it may be a sensory thing- she can t drink anything carbonated because it feels like shards of glass in her mouth.

Eventually, I think a truly desperately painful day when we were out of chewable and couldn't get to the store was a big motivator... and even as a young adult she can only swallow pills with yogurt or applesauce. Also her dad worked with her... he had far more patience than I did. Even thin I KNOW she wasn't being difficult or anything bad, I was just so frustrated and had run out of good ideas.

• Like 1

I sure hope they don't make gummy bear ibuprofen, as that would be the surest route to tragic and unnecessary drug overdoses in children (and others).

Bill

Well they have all kinds of other gummy things, various vitamins, minerals, spices, herbs, glucosamine, whatever.

Adults apparently like gummies.  :)  I see no reason why adult gummies should not include common pain meds.  Not every home has young children in it.

My ibuprofen is coated and has an easy-open cap for old people.  It could be mistaken for candy, but I guess that is why the label says that this is not for households with young children.

• Like 1

Well they have all kinds of other gummy things, various vitamins, minerals, spices, herbs, glucosamine, whatever.

Adults apparently like gummies.  :)  I see no reason why adult gummies should not include common pain meds.  Not every home has young children in it.

My ibuprofen is coated and has an easy-open cap for old people.  It could be mistaken for candy, but I guess that is why the label says that this is not for households with young children.

Sorry, but I don't think you are reasoning clearly.  Taking medicines that have a high risk from overdosing and turning them into candy is insanity.

Bill

• Like 3

Gummies are usually used to help induce people to take something that they normally don't want to but can be coerced to if it's easier/tastes better, etc. 

Analgesics don't fall into this category. If they're in a situation to be taking one, people already want to take an analgesic. We don't need to make it even more appealing, especially with how easy it would be to OD!!! It's just asking for trouble.

• Like 1

I had hormonal migraines instead of cramps, and all my parents kept was expired Tylenol. If I asked for some, I was accused of being attention-seeking. It sounds as if you are dismissing all women who have cramps and headaches simply because it's not your experience. I have read that 10% of women experience debilitating cramps. Migraines are closer to 20%. That's not "really unlikely." 

• Like 9

FWIW When I was a teen/young adult my cramps would get so bad that they would make me throw up from the pain if I did not take pain relievers (many) in time. I walked out of a college class to throw up from period pain once, and that was because the pain relievers didn't work fast enough. This hasn't happened to me in years and then then out of nowhere last month, it did. I was bent over in pain trying to get my kids to their class. It was the worst.

• Like 2

Well anyhoo, I found they have some "junior" chewable, flavored Tylenol and Ibuprofen, so I will probably order some of those.  Then I will need to research whether they are allowed at school.

I'm not worried about my kids ODing on a couple of painkillers.  I could see that being a concern with some kids, but each parent can decide if that's an issue for their household.

• Like 2

Well anyhoo, I found they have some "junior" chewable, flavored Tylenol and Ibuprofen, so I will probably order some of those.  Then I will need to research whether they are allowed at school.

I'm not worried about my kids ODing on a couple of painkillers.  I could see that being a concern with some kids, but each parent can decide if that's an issue for their household.

ODs on Tylenol are the number one cause of renal failure. Acetaminophen is a very risky drug to take in excess (and that threshold is low) and can set a child (or adult) up for a lifetime of kidney dialysis or need for an organ transplant.  

Getting flavored versions of Tylenol is a stupendously bad idea. 

Bill

• Like 3

I had hormonal migraines instead of cramps, and all my parents kept was expired Tylenol. If I asked for some, I was accused of being attention-seeking. It sounds as if you are dismissing all women who have cramps and headaches simply because it's not your experience. I have read that 10% of women experience debilitating cramps. Migraines are closer to 20%. That's not "really unlikely." 

That is horrible. I am so sorry. And, yes, I agree that women with cramps, headaches, and emotional challenges should not be dismissed.

Even as a teenager, I had horrible cramps sometimes (and likely the beginnings of endometriosis). My mom hadn't experienced anything like that, and the first time it happened, I was surprised at the severity. OP, I think it's commendable that you're preparing your daughters for the possibility of painful periods. I've never thought it was especially rare.  :confused:

• Like 1

Just FYI, ibuprofen is much more effective for menstrual cramping, in my experience. 

• Like 4

FTR my kids hardly ever take painkillers.  Nor are they apt to sneak them out of the cupboard.  And they sell those junior ones in quantities of 24 (presumably low-dose). 

I am aware that Tylenol is not a great thing to eat regularly.  But, there's a use for them, and I'm not scared of them.

My youngest kid is a fifth grader.  We are long past the age when I might worry about them eating poisons out of the cupboard.

I didn't mean for this to be a debate on flavored meds, but the concept of good-tasting medicine is hardly a new one.  Most of the liquid and chewable ones for kids are designed to taste "good."  Even when I was a kid, "baby aspirin" was chewable and kinda tasty.

I asked the question because in recent years, I've seen many adult pills come out in gummy format.  I have older friends who much prefer the gummies.  I personally don't like gummies, but if it makes some people's lives easier, bully for them.  For those who don't trust their kids to stay away from gummies, don't buy them, or lock them up.  Seems simple.

• Like 1

I sure hope they don't make gummy bear ibuprofen, as that would be the surest route to tragic and unnecessary drug overdoses in children (and others).

Bill

^^^this. This is why they don't make stuff like that. The liability exposure, to say nothing of the mere legality, would be way too high. It really doesn't take much for OTC pain meds to cause some fairly serious problems, especially in children.

My niece will eat the gummy vitamins like candy...we have to keep them out of her access. She's 14 to boot.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 3

We started with sprinkles. That was hard for her! She had said that it was stupid and they'd be easy - but it wasn't!

Once she could do sprinkles three times in a row without gagging, we moved to nerds - the smallest ones in the box. Then we moved up to the bigger size of nerds, then mini-M&Ms, then tic tacs, regular M&Ms, jelly belly gummy beans, and regular gummy beans. We determined that this was probably big enough for now.

Her bribe was being able to eat the leftover candies once she could swallow them - and every time we moved forward, we still practiced one or two sizes down for a few days. We don't buy much candy.

• Like 1

ODs on Tylenol are the number one cause of renal failure. Acetaminophen is a very risky drug to take in excess (and that threshold is low) and can set a child (or adult) up for a lifetime of kidney dialysis or need for an organ transplant.  

Getting flavored versions of Tylenol is a stupendously bad idea. 

Bill

If you have small children who are likely to confuse medicine with candy, sure. But I'm pretty sure SKL's kids are old enough to know the difference - and don't suffer any conditions that would impair their reasoning.

With that said, it is a very good idea, no matter how old your children are, to ask them to keep a log of whatever OTC medications they take in a day if they're trusted to dose themselves. Heck, it's good for adults to do it too. It is easier than you think* to overdose on tylenol, especially when you consider that you're taking it while in pain, and the results aren't pretty. It's a lot better to be able to say "Okay, I took three pills today, and the last one was at 4pm, so I need to wait another 90 minutes before I take another one" than "Oh, god, it hurts... when was my last tylenol? Is it okay to take one now? Ugh."

* Well, maybe not easier than you think, but easier than many people think :)

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 1

Naproxen (brand name Aleve) is an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen but only needs to be given every 12 hours, rather than every 4-6 hours like ibuprofen or Tylenol.   I don't know if it comes in a liquid or chewable formula, but that might be a better option than needing to take OTC meds at school.   You could give her a dose with breakfast, then she wouldn't need another dose for 12 hours.

My 12-year-old DD has pretty severe cramps each month and Aleve has been the best medicine we've found to help.   If she starts taking Aleve when she starts cramping before her period begins, then continues through day 4 or 5, her pain level is manageable.   If she ignores the initial cramping or forgets, she will often be doubled over in pain for much of the first 4 or 5 days (of a period that lasts 7-11 days).   Something else that has helped on particularly bad days are Thermacare heat patches (they make a menstrual version, but the ones designed for the back work fine too) when we have to leave the house and she can't sit with a heating pad on her stomach all day long.

One issue with the overdose thing is that people often carry these medicines on their handbags. They visit people's houses and leave handbags on the floor.

A friends toddler had an obsession with taking pills and would go through handbags to try to find them if she wasn't being really closely supervised.