Menu

Anyone have trouble STAYING asleep?

Ottakee

I am mid 40s and in Peri-menopause.

I have NO trouble falling asleep each night. Usually within 1-2 minutes. My trouble is staying asleep. Almost like clockwork I wake up at 4:43am no matter what time I go to bed or how tired I am. Some days are even better though where I wake up at 2/2:30 am. I just can't fall back asleep...Sometimes for hours.

I am still tired and function best on 8 hours of sleep.

Any ideas? Sometimes it is my bladder but not all of the time. Sometimes I am hungry but again not all of the time.

I have tried and am trying again a time release melatonin but most of the time it doesn't make a difference.

I really need my sleep.

When I was a kid I couldn't get to sleep. Once I hit my mid-20's it was staying asleep that became my problem. Over the years I've accepted it so that around 4:30 or 5:00 is my normal get up time. I've embraced the quiet early morning hours. I do try to get to bed early (by 9:30 or 10:00) so I can get enough sleep. That's certainly challenging at times but it got a lot easier once the boys were old enough to fend for themselves. When I wake up around 2:00 or so I'll read for a bit  or look at Twitter. That usually puts me back to sleep. And if not I go ahead and get up. For me the worrying and fretting about not sleeping is worse than the lack of sleep. So I try to embrace it with a good attitude. Admittedly that won't work for everyone.

• Like 2

I don't remember the last time I had a full night's sleep.   I wake up at least once, more likely 2-3 times every night and often can't get back to sleep.  My mind starts racing and I can't shut it off.  If it wouldn't disturb my husband, I'd read for a bit to calm my brain.  BTW I am 18 years post-menopause.  

• Like 1

I have this problem, too.

What helps is:

1. No caffeine after noon.

2. Tire myself out physically in the day, either by exercising, or housework, or a day trip.

3. Melatonin at bedtime.

4. Drink less water closer to bedtime.

I think this is very common among women.  I can't remember the last time I slept all night.  I fall asleep immediately and then am up every two hours for a few hours and then wide awake early.  It's awful and frustrating to be so tired, but not able to sleep.  

Yup.

I have some good days.  There are also "medium" days, which I consider anything after 4.  But I'm still getting a few before-4 days.  Last night, I was up from 1:30-2:30ish, but then I managed to sleep until after 6.

Getting to sleep is absolutely no issue at all.  In fact, I'm wishing I could stay awake a bit longer.

Yes, I'm 47 and this has been happening to me for the past few years. I go to sleep around 11 and then wake up around 2. Even when I'm able to get back to sleep, it feels like my mind is still awake for the rest of the night, like it's a shallow sleep with lots of weird dreams. 

• Like 1

I am up between 4:30-5:30am every day. It began about a year ago. I attributed it to the fibro. My doctor swears up and down that I haven't begun menopause yet and just poo poos anything I ask about possible signs of it beginning. I am purposely altering my sleep schedule, though, so it's difficult for me to determine cause & effect. Up until a few months ago, it was common for me to stay up until after midnight watching TV or reading. I have now set a bedtime between 9-10 and try to limit my screen time to stop an hour before that. On Demand has been a wonderful blessing in that I can still watch the TV shows I enjoy, although I have noticed that I don't care about most of them anymore. This is Us is the exception. I always watch that at some point during the week. I also quit having a night time cup of chai. I try not to have any chai after 3pm.

My dog, bless his heart, has to go to the bathroom every night around 1am. That does not make me happy but he's an older dog and I love him so I deal with it and I usually fall back to sleep within minutes.

ETA: I have noticed that there are nights when I feel like I haven't slept at all even when I do get 6-7 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

Edited by Scoutermom

I have this problem sometimes. I just ordered some children's melatonin that melts in your mouth. My plan is to keep it on my nightstand to take if I wake up and can't fall back asleep, but only if I know I can sleep for about five more hours. They also have melatonin drops but the melts seem easier.

I get up, have a pee, go back to bed and meditate for half an hour, then fall back asleep.  I use the free 30 minute body scan on the Calm app.

I'm going to check out that app, thank you.

I have a big problem with sleep - both falling asleep and waking multiple times and difficulty going back to sleep.  

Wow! Doesn't sound like there is any relief in my future. I can't fall asleep or stay asleep and I have children that wake me up at night. I don't do any caffeine unless it is before noon. I have relaxation exercises that i have on my phone that I can listen to and that sometimes helps. Sometimes I run them several times a night. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went through that during peri-menopause. I fell asleep easily but often woke up (unlike you it was at different times). Once I woke up I couldn't get back to sleep. I did a lot of reading during those times. At first I'd get on the computer, but then I realized that was making it worse. 

If it's any consolation, it stopped once I was fully post-menopausal. Keep some good books handy. 

• Like 1

This is me too. The only thing that helped was natural progesterone cream. I slept SO well while using that. I'm not currently taking it per my naturopath's recommendation, and the early morning wake-ups are back. I want so badly to start using it again....

Sorry OP and PPs....all I have is commiseration.

I started doing this bi-phasic sleep thing a couple years ago, not on purpose.  I will sleep about 4 hours at night (if I can go to sleep) then wake up still tired but unable to go back to sleep until at least 12 hours later. I'm tired ALL the time.  I also gained 30 pounds developed full blown diabetes/blood pressure issues.  I haven't had my hormones checked cause from all the other stuff going on as well it's pretty obvious that I'm in the early stages of menopause.

It can be caused by either too much cortisol, or low cortisol. I had similar trouble for years, and still do sometimes (though I'd probably sleep fine now if the baby didn't wake me up). Mine was caused by low cortisol, though there were other factors also. It took starting hydrocortisone for my adrenal fatigue, plus time release 5-htp (works better for me than melatonin, but would wear off around 4:30 am if I didn't take the time release version), plus wearing blue-light blocking glasses from 8:30 pm on. Valerian helped some too, as did going to bed by 10:00...for whatever reason I'm more likely to wake up too early if I go to bed too late. I've taken GABA at times too when I wake up in the night and am really wide awake for no apparent reason. I also figured out that sometimes I just needed a reset when I was in a really bad sleeping pattern and would take Benadryl for a couple nights and would usually sleep better for a while after that. I also tried many, many other things for sleep that didn't work.

I do wonder if progesterone is somehow involved also for me, as I slept fabulously almost my entire pregnancy with #5 in spite of stopping all my sleep helps, though using progesterone cream during the 2nd half of my cycle doesn't seem to help me sleep any better. I know it's not the only factor as my insomnia had started before getting pregnant with #4 and I did NOT sleep any better at all with that pregnancy (that was pre-adrenal fatigue treatment).