Menu

Anyone else think dog shows are a scam? The same breeds seem to win...

I can't really enjoy them anymore. The judges have their favorite breeds and stick with them. It is SO SO rare that the top ten vary.

Okay, okay. I admit that I have particular disdain for the standard poodle, and they are always a finalist. I just feel bad for any dog in the same group as the poodle. You can't tell me that no other dog in that group meet the highest standard of their breed.

I'm giving entirely too much thought to this subject, I know. But the Westminster is on now and I just thought I'd throw this out and get some feedback.

Jo

Yes the shows can be political. It is a beauty contest and subjectively judged. Even with the standard you get judges that are more into how a dog moves or how good it's head is. That said when it comes to group judging it gets more difficult. Each breed is judged against its own standard and the standards vary greatly some are quite short and others are rather long. The one for the Shetland Sheepdog is quite long and difficult to achieve. Also certain breeds have larger numbers of breeders dedicated to improving the breed and have done a better job of achieving this goal examples would be the poodles, German Shepard, a few terrier breeds, the Poms and several of I can't think of at the moment. Also when a breed has a dog that reaches a high level of perfection it will be used a lot for breeding and thus this breed tends to improve overall (this accounts for a lot of the German Shepards success) Yes I too wish we would see some other breeds at the top.

...(dare I suggest this with a real 'shower' in our midst?)...

If you haven't, and you're open to some ridiculous and sometimes off-color humor, you must watch Best in Show (Christopher Guest).

I can't watch televised dog shows now without remembering some scene in that movie and giggling. Colleen will back me up, I think. :D

My Mother enjoys watching the shows, so I see them with her every now and then. I'm glad to see Mrs. Readsalot's perspective.

Doran

I'm not sure I would consider the show German Shepherds a success... In fact I consider most GSs with 'show' backgrounds to be inferior. The have a HIGH percentage of hip and joint issues (the 'slant' has been bred into show dogs by shortening their back legs) and a HIGH percentage of cancer and numerous other inbreeding flaws. Show shepherds have been bred DOWN and are about half the size as they should be--and are usually MORE agressive too!

I personally prefer the 'Classic' German Shepherds. These are the true standard of the breed. They are HUGE and stocky--with a STRAIGHT back. They also have a better life span and a MUCH healthier body/structure.

I've been a GS owner for over 10 years. Last year I purchased a Classic GS puppy. He is hands down the most beautiful/well built GS I have ever seen (and my vets agree with me). He does NOT meet the current show standards--and I'm GLAD!

I'm not sure I would consider the show German Shepherds a success... In fact I consider most GSs with 'show' backgrounds to be inferior. The have a HIGH percentage of hip and joint issues (the 'slant' has been bred into show dogs by shortening their back legs) and a HIGH percentage of cancer and numerous other inbreeding flaws. Show shepherds have been bred DOWN and are about half the size as they should be--and are usually MORE agressive too!

I personally prefer the 'Classic' German Shepherds. These are the true standard of the breed. They are HUGE and stocky--with a STRAIGHT back. They also have a better life span and a MUCH healthier body/structure.

I've been a GS owner for over 10 years. Last year I purchased a Classic GS puppy. He is hands down the most beautiful/well built GS I have ever seen (and my vets agree with me). He does NOT meet the current show standards--and I'm GLAD!

Jann, I completely agree with you regarding the GSD. We lost our GSD right after Christmas to liver cancer. He was diagnosed in September. During his final months, we decided to get a GSD puppy. We looked at both the show lines and the working lines. We chose, hands down, to purchase from the working lines. They are healthier, and while we had a dog dying from cancer, health was of utmost importance to us.

We picked our breeder, paid our deposit, and then walked away because the breeder was a flake -- she produced good dogs with lots of titles in the Shutzhund world, but she was unstable.

Of course we then changed our minds and bought two Border Collie puppies! We couldn't be happier. And we all know how the AKC loves Border Collies --and vice versa. <giggle>

We're not in it to show, just for the pleasure of having two great dogs. And we see agility and fly ball in our future.

As for dog shows, I went to several with my mom when she was alive. While I enjoyed the shows and learned a lot just being there, what I didn't like was all the nasty gossip I heard every.single.time in the audience. It turned me off of the dog community. I was just shocked -- it was beyond competition, it was nasty. I found it very sad. I know they're not all that way, but I really got an earful!

So I may watch for a few minutes when I see Westminster on TV, but I just cannot get into it. My favorite class is the herding group, which I would watch all of, but I'd rather enjoy dogs in a different setting.

Gah! My sister just shelled out $3000 for a working GSD pup. Supposed to have had special puppy training and potential to excell in ****zhund work. The pup came to her a basket case, won't bond, nuts in his crate, constant diarhea.

She's sunk a bunch more into that pup. Down the drain.

She used to show GSD years ago, now that her kids are older she want to start up again.

Give me my free ACDs and Border Collies, loose on the ranch and covered with cow poop.

I admit that I have particular disdain for the standard poodle

:eek: While I am detouring now through dane love, ;) I am a poodle girl at heart. I agree that it is a bit boring to see them in the finals again and again, but the breed is very showy, particularly in the standard size. I sure would love to have one...

Besides, I think that dratted fox terrier has won the most times. ;)

Best in Show is a down right hoot! I liked that it spoofed the whole event.

These posts helped me to understand the event a little better, but sheesh! It still irks me that I have to see that darn poodle in the best of show line up year after year. LOL.

Jo

LOL! Obviously, I have no idea what "that darn poodle's" real name is. My in-laws kept a standard poodle for years, a chocolate with some goofy name that my Brooklyn born FIL thought sounded French. Always made me cringe to say her name, but it still beat Fifi. Anyway, she was a great dog. I especially loved that they didn't give her the maxo poofy do and just let her be au naturel. Poodles always look like they expect to win, don't you think? ;)

Doran

I can't watch televised dog shows now without remembering some scene in that movie and giggling. Colleen will back me up, I think.

You know me well, Doran my dear. Everything I know about dog shows I learned from Christopher Guest, et al.:D

Okay, okay, I know zilch about the subject but was compelled to read this thread and make sure someone had mentioned the movie.;) I also happened to be listening to NPR tonight when they mentioned that a beagle had won the Westminster for the first time ever. Something new for you, Jo!:)

The same is true for a lot of breeds... take Goldens for instance. A "field" golden looks nothing like a show golden, but is a much healthier, active and longer-lived dog.

As for only the popular breeds having a large enough population to foster good examples of the breed, I'd have to disagree. My sister breeds Flat-coated Retrievers. It's not a common breed, but she has paid a lot of attention to how she breeds her dogs and in the 20 years she's been working with them, she has developed a line of dogs that are smart and gorgeous (and fit well w/ the breed standard). She had 2 dogs from her line at Westminster this year. But judges outside of the less common dogs' groups don't tend to know what to make of the less common breeds I think.

Also, I LOVE Best in Show but if you mention it around my sister she gets all huffy:D So that's what we do when she starts to annoy us!:D