Menu

Dr. Wile science & history question - WWYD?

lgliser

I had forgotten that Dr. Wile had an actual series. We picked Science in the Beginning 2 years ago and, not really on purpose, we stretched it into 2 years. 

We use Veritas Press Self Paced History and I'm just now realizing how nicely our science and history could go together. But we are finishing up New Testament/Greece/Rome this year along with our Science in the Beginning. I wish we were finishing up Science in the Ancient World with this year's history course. 

So my question is: Next year's history is Middle Ages, Renaissance, and Reformation so Science in the Scientific Revolution would go right along with it. Then the following year we'd do Explorers to 1815 for history and Science in the Age of Reason. But we'd be skipping Science in the Ancient World. How much would we be missing out on? It bugs me so much when things are "off" like this!

I wonder if we wanted to really push ourselves if we could cram Science in the Ancient World and Science in the Scientific Revolution into one year...

Oh and I also wondered if anyone knew if there were printable workbooks for kids that someone has made. I found one that someone made for SITB and it's been nice.

Edited by lgliser

I would take a look at the table of contents for the different books in the series to see what book best fits.  Science in the Ancient World actually takes you from Thales to Leonardo Da Vinci.  Also, if you contact Berean Builders they may already have a document created of how their science matches with Veritas Press Elementary History.  I know they have one for how it matches Story of the World. 

• Like 1

Don't cram it...it's hard to make it match because you will have end up cramming more again later if you are really trying to match.

This is the schedule for Story of the World, as you can see. I do use VP history and Story of the World...you would have to cram about a little over two volumes when you hit the Explorers to 1815. What I do is I reference back to what we already learned. There's so much good stuff in these books to enjoy, that it would be a shame to rush.

Volume 1

Chapters 1-20: Earlier than anything covered in Berean Builders Chapters 21-30: Lessons 1-21 in Science in the Ancient World Chapters 31-38: Lessons 22-30 in Science in the Ancient World Chapters 39-42: Lessons 31-45 in Science in the Ancient World

Volume 2 Chapters 1-25: Lessons 46-62 in Science in the Ancient World Chapters 26-36: Lessons 63-90 in Science in the Ancient World Chapters 37-42: Lessons 1-31 in Science in the Scientific Revolution

Volume 3 Chapters 1-9: Lessons 32-45 in Science in the Scientific Revolution Chapters 10-15: Lessons 46-67 in Science in the Scientific Revolution Chapter 16-17: Lessons 68-90 in Science in the Scientific Revolution Chapter 18-19: Lessons 1-15 in Science in the Age of Reason Chapter 20-22: Lessons 16-30 in Science in the Age of Reason Chapter 23-26: Lessons 31-45 in Science in the Age of Reason Chapter 27-28: Lessons 46-60 in Science in the Age of Reason Chapter 29-30: Lessons 61-75 in Science in the Age of Reason Chapter 31-32: Lessons 76-90 in Science in the Age of Reason Chapters 33-42: About half of the fifth book in Berean Builders Science

Volume 4 Chapters 1-16: Roughly the rest of the fifth book in Berean Builders Science

We are skipping books 1 and 2 and jumping straight to 3 next year. Obviously I can't speak for how that'll actually work but I just had to "get over" the fact we wouldn't be doing it the "right" way because that bugged me too.

Edited by UCF612