Menu

Looking for Science Videos Online

Hi all, If you could help me out here I would be grateful.

I am looking for science videos for my two sons (age 12 and 14) to watch.  They both had a very light school year (just in science, not with their other classes) and are done or almost done with what I had planned for them to do.  I would like to find something along the lines of "how stuff works".  Electronics, engineering, inventions, technology, etc.

We do not have TV, but we do have high speed internet.  Free would be good, but I also don't mind paying for something.  Netflix, maybe? If there is something on there that is very worthwhile.  I am quite ignorant, though, about what is out there.  

Clean content is very important to me.  Any recommendations? or links to a thread?  Thanks

I believe Bill Nye has videos online, and if iirc, there are some geared more for your age group

Also, my 5th grader is really enjoying Jonathen Bird's Blue World online videos. Included on his website are lesson plans and discussion questions for each webisode

• Like 1

Also, my 5th grader is really enjoying Jonathen Bird's Blue World online videos. Included on his website are lesson plans and discussion questions for each webisode

Oh, nice find!

Do you just start at Episode 1 and use the discussion questions? Or is there a better way of using it?

Oh, nice find!

Do you just start at Episode 1 and use the discussion questions? Or is there a better way of using it?

I don't do anything fancy with it. I just print out the study guides and have them available for each lesson as my son works through them. For the most part he has done it independently in that he writes the answers to each question down. Some some webisodes are more conducive to discussion than others, and there are a handful that don't have accompanying study guides. I really like that he is asked to dig a little more on each subject with their Internet research questions.

It is by far his favorite subject! He frequently calls me to the computer to watch a webisode segment that he found to be especially fascinating.

Good luck and have fun with them!