Menu

First Period Kits, Ceremonies, etc.

umsami

Did you make up some sort of First Period kit for your daughter? If so, what did you include?

I was thinking of making up something for her backpack, as well as something for home.  Backpack might have a little pencil case with an extra pair of undies, a pad, etc.   

For home, I'm thinking of maybe some cloth pads, Advil, chocolate, heating pack/rice sock, ????

Did you make up some sort of First Period kit for your daughter? If so, what did you include?

I was thinking of making up something for her backpack, as well as something for home. Backpack might have a little pencil case with an extra pair of undies, a pad, etc.

For home, I'm thinking of maybe some cloth pads, Advil, chocolate, heating pack/rice sock, ????

I forgot to mention that I don't have a daughter, but I don't think it would have occurred to me to do anything special for a first period. I think it's nice that you're being prepared about giving her the necessary supplies, though. :)

• Like 4

I was super embarrassed, too. But I know people who do something special like go out to lunch with the aunts, cousins/sisters of the family. I made my daughter a gift bag with different kinds of pads and pantyliners, chocolate kisses, and Advil. Making her a backpack kit with extra undies and such is a great idea!

• Like 3

In the months before, I made sure they both had access to pads and we covered the really important stuff like hygiene, emergencies, caffeine and Advil

I think both my DD's would have come totally unglued if I had made any kind of production about them getting their period for the first time.   

That being said - if your girl would respond positively to a cute Those Days kit, then go for it.  It sounds like a nice idea to have something for the backpack.

• Like 7

My kids haven't started theirs yet, but I put together a "period pack" for each of them to keep at school.  It has a pair of "period panties" with a pad already inserted, an extra pair of booty shorts, and a few pads and wipes.  I showed them what everything was and how to use the stuff.

I don't know whether I'll do anything "special" when they start.  I could see taking them out for an ice cream (just mom & daughters).  Nobody else needs to know why we are out for ice cream.  :)

• Like 3

I took my daughter out for ice cream. She did not want a moon ceremony or a big deal made of it.

Instructed my dh not to say one word to her, ever. I am 50 years old and still remember the mortification if my father saying to me "my baby is now a woman".

We had already gone over the equipment years before. Of course her first period was the day before a swim meet. So it was welcome to womanhood, here is how you use a tampon.

• Like 4

Celebration?  No.  I plan to give her chocolate, tissues, and let her cry on my shoulder as I apologize profusely for the fact that she was born a girl and will thus have to endure the horrific agony of pms, cramps, tampons and moodiness for the duration of her younger years.  Come menopause, then we will celebrate.

I kid.  Sort of.

• Like 12

This is a good reminder to get some things together for my younger daughter. I've seen several indicators recently that make me think it she may need them sooner than we would both prefer. I know the Kotex U feminine products for teens and tweens sometimes include zippered storage bags with the boxes.

Edited by GalaxyGal
  • Like 1

Ceremonies? I saw that in your thread title and didn't know what you meant by that.

When I was that age, the last thing in the world I would have wanted was for my first period to have been made into a big deal. I would have been mortified.

I guess I'm out of likes but I completely agree. My dds would think I'd flipped my lid if we'd had any sort of ceremony.

I did help them make little "be ready" packs for their book bags, just in case things arrived on co-op day. A small make up case with pads, fresh undies in a ziplock bag, some wet wipes.

ETA oh, I forgot, that is when I allowed them to get their ears pierced. Not before, saved me some headaches of keeping up with a youngester's newly pierced ears and also gave them an upside to something which could be seen as "whaddaya mean I have to face this every month for the next forty years?"

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 3

I explained everything well before it happened. I gave her supplies (pads, panty liners, and tampons). Dds main activities were ballet and swimming, so she needed tampons from the start. I explained how everything worked.at that point it was up to her to come back and ask questions or just use it. She never asked questions. She only talked about it when she needed more supplies.

Ceremonies sound embarrassing to me.

• Like 3

This has come up here before, a while back.  I asked my daughter what she thought of a ceremony, something special... she was appalled.   Of course everyone's different. 

I don't get the chocolate though. What is the point?  Maybe it's because there is almost always chocolate in some form in the house and people eat it when they want to (within reason of course) that I don't get it.  Sorry for the derail.  

And I don't get the painkillers either, I guess.  We have painkillers in the house too, to use as needed.  

Sorry if I am being a big party-pooper.  I guess I'm just confused.  I do think having a bag with supplies is an excellent idea!  

• Like 4

I made sure that she had various supplies and explained them. I also got her a zippered pouch for her purse. And I told her that she was free to talk to me anytime about it, or not if she preferred.

When it came, she did tell me, and I bought her roses, which she liked a lot.

I made a little case with essential supplies and included a small wrapped gift (earrings) to be opened when she needed the supplies. We didn't make a big deal and she knew what to do. We had examined the products carefully, including seeing how much water a pad held and opening a tampon and watching it expand in water. The actual day was low-stress.

• Like 1

Even though my dd is only 13, she is the only one of her friends who hasn't started yet. She feels a little left out as her friends talk about it pretty often. She talks about all of this very freely with me and even though she doesn't love being the center of attention, I think she would like something special to mark the day when it happens. I'll have to give that some thought. She already has all the supplies.  

• Like 1

Nope, no special ceremonies or even going out for ice cream...just lots of hugs and commiseration.  :laugh:  My dd is 14 and only just started, so she had actually been prepared with the needed supplies on hand for a few years before it showed up.

• Like 1

We ordered DD cloth pads last summer, so they would be stashed and ready.

She actually started a few weeks ago. We are having a "womanhood celebration" party in a couple of weeks. DD did the planning for it. ONLY GIRLS are invited. There will be pink, black, and red decorations. They will make crafts (braided bracelets and painted suncatchers, inspirational quote cards) and play volleyball. Pizza will be served. Those who have reached this milestone before her will have an opportunity to write advice for her in a special journal. We are asking her aunts and older cousins who live away also to send journal entries.

Edited by Ravin
  • Like 5

No ceremony.

I keep the bathroom stocked. We had several conversations about it prior, and several after it started.

I keep a couple supplies in the glove box of my vehicle, and in the bathroom cabinet where I work (kids come with me to my pay tome job). I encouraged her to ALWAYS keep one in her purse.

And most importantly, I don't use them, so if the supply is low she MUST tell me if she wants me to purchase more.

• Like 1

Each of my daughters chose a special grown up watch around a year before their period came, and I kept it for the day. I also bought an expensive perfume chosen especially to suit them, and put that away. I also bought the book Beautiful Girlhood, but looking back that was not really used or wanted.

They had supplies in their possession at least a year before and were well aware of how to use them etc.

On the day I gave them their watch, perfume, and book. They all looked on it as a kind of growing up ritual/rite of passage kind of thing. It made it more 'special' than it might otherwise have been.

So ceremony might not be what most girls want, but a gift or two, and special acknowledgement may be. Mine knew at least a year in advance so they were kind of excited to finally get their gifts.

• Like 1

I have 3 daughters who have been through this and they'd look at me like I'd lost my mind if I did something special. They would've been alternately mortified and confused by the whole thing.

I remember watching that episode of the Cosby show where Rudy got hers and thinking "Is it really a thing to celebrate THAT!"

ETA: But my girls start fairly young (12, 11, and 11) so they don't see it as anything to celebrate. They also see my female issues that make me SO miserable, so nobody thinks this is a fun thing.

We had our Great Pyr female bred last month for puppies in the summer. We researched the process and for large dogs like GPs they cycle TWICE A YEAR! We all envied our Susan for only having to deal with it twice a year.

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 3

I think it depends on what your DD would like.  I love the idea of a pack to give her.  And going out for ice cream or fondue, no one else knowing why.  

I remember being in middle school, and one of my friend's dads took her out to a fancy dinner, gave her a dozen roses, etc.  I thought that was pretty "Ick!"  So, for me, whatever happens would be best if it's a girls/women only thing.  I'd be mortified to hear about it, talk about it, celebrate it with a father.  I'm all for ceremonies and marking occasions but culturally, here in the US, this is a tough one.  I wish that were different.

Raven's DD has a cool idea - it's what she wants, so I think that's great.  I'd love for my DD to want that, when it's time, but I think we'll be doing the super secret ninja ice cream run.  :)

Our very close family friend has just gotten hers, FWIW.  I know, because her mom and I are close, but am under strict orders not to mention it to her, or tell *anyone* ... I completely respect that.  She wanted no acknowledgment of it at all.

Celebration?  No.  I plan to give her chocolate, tissues, and let her cry on my shoulder as I apologize profusely for the fact that she was born a girl and will thus have to endure the horrific agony of pms, cramps, tampons and moodiness for the duration of her younger years.  Come menopause, then we will celebrate.

I kid.  Sort of.

Don't forget perimenopause, LOL.  :P

• Like 1

My dh still remembers speculation amongst the fifth grade boys when one girl suddenly began coming to school in makeup and skirts. They were all pretty sure she was the first in their class to start. I doubt boys would hone in on earrings, but making sure things aren't too noticeable is probably wise.

• Like 1

I would have died. DD would have died.

You should watch this for a laugh. DD and I laughed our heads off.

https://youtu.be/NEcZmT0fiNM

I texted this to DD and made her brownies.

A good friend of mine made bags for all the girls around the same age. She has 4 friends with girls born within a month of each other. She bought a bunch of different options and divvied them up between the zipper pouches. If my friend hadn't done that, I would've gotten an assortment to keep on hand for DD. DD isn't interested in cloth at this time, but she knows it's an option.

• Like 1

My kids haven't started theirs yet, but I put together a "period pack" for each of them to keep at school.  It has a pair of "period panties" with a pad already inserted, an extra pair of booty shorts, and a few pads and wipes.  I showed them what everything was and how to use the stuff.

I don't know whether I'll do anything "special" when they start.  I could see taking them out for an ice cream (just mom & daughters).  Nobody else needs to know why we are out for ice cream.  :)

What kind of panties do you insert a pad in? 

I thought the period panties were to soak things up without using a pad?

I need to get on this.

What kind of panties do you insert a pad in? 

I thought the period panties were to soak things up without using a pad?

I need to get on this.

I actually attached a regular pad to the period panties while my kids watched, to show them how it's done.  Then I thought, might as well leave it in there, all ready in case of need.  :)

The period panties are more of a backup rather than a first line of defense.  I just figure that a young girl is likely to misjudge how long she has etc.  I'm not sure how much extra protection it gives.  I also figure that later, when they decide to try tampons, it can be a layer of safety.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

I actually attached a regular pad to the period panties while my kids watched, to show them how it's done.  Then I thought, might as well leave it in there, all ready in case of need.  :)

The period panties are more of a backup rather than a first line of defense.  I just figure that a young girl is likely to misjudge how long she has etc.  I'm not sure how much extra protection it gives.  I also figure that later, when they decide to try tampons, it can be a layer of safety.

Ok gotcha.

We ordered DD cloth pads last summer, so they would be stashed and ready.

She actually started a few weeks ago. We are having a "womanhood celebration" party in a couple of weeks. DD did the planning for it. ONLY GIRLS are invited. There will be pink, black, and red decorations. They will make crafts (braided bracelets and painted suncatchers, inspirational quote cards) and play volleyball. Pizza will be served. Those who have reached this milestone before her will have an opportunity to write advice for her in a special journal. We are asking her aunts and older cousins who live away also to send journal entries.

I don't know anyone who has ever had anything resembling a "womanhood celebration," and I hate to say this, but I'm pretty sure they would be severely mocked for it, so I'm hoping this is a popular thing where you live and that the other girls and their mothers won't gossip behind your back and think it's bizarre.

Are womanhood celebrations a normal thing for your dd's aunts and older cousins? If one of my nieces had asked me and her other aunts and cousins to write journal entries for a special womanhood journal to celebrate her first period, I can guarantee you that we would have thought both my niece and my SIL had gone off the deep end. The journal entry thing would have been such an awkward request and speaking for myself, I would have had no idea what to write. I am only saying this because I know you and your dd think this is a very cool idea, but I hope you know how odd it may seem to others, so you're prepared if a few people are less than enthusiastic about being part of a public celebration of what most people view as being a very private thing.

Again, I hope you don't view this as insulting and I hope your dd has a wonderful time at her party, but I just worry that your family and friends might think it's a strange thing to do and I hope you'll warn your dd in advance that some people might not be as enthusiastic about it as you and she seem to be. I think it's incredibly sweet of you to go to all of the trouble of planning the party and the crafts and making the journal for your dd and I'm sure she appreciates your efforts, and I hope everyone has a great time.

• Like 5

Preparation, yes. But I was even embarrassed that my mom told my dad (and our family was pretty open about talking about things, as he was a doctor). Even the acknowledgment was too much for me; I would have found anything else way too much, even ice cream.

• Like 2

We did not. My DD would have been mortified. 

I would have appreciated if my mother had thought ahead and prepared me, showed me where to find supplies and how to use them - but heavens, I would not have wanted a ceremony.

I have friends who are very much into celebrating all things body related and who do hold ceremonies. If you want any specifics or recommendations, I can ask. One of my friends has a business and makes goddess art, mainly sculptures, and I am sure she has items for the occasion. Let me know if you want me to hook you up.

Edited by regentrude

I don't get the chocolate though. What is the point?  Maybe it's because there is almost always chocolate in some form in the house and people eat it when they want to (within reason of course) that I don't get it.  Sorry for the derail.  

Chocolate contains magnesium, which can reduce cramping. It can also improve one's mood and energy level. So there you go.  :)

• Like 1

Everything was rather low key approached here. I had been prepping Dd for a couple of years so she knew what to expect and how to take care of herself. I kept pads and tampons in the house, more than one variety of each so she could figure out what she preferred, and some chocolate stash just for her as well as Advil and Midol. She knew to report to me how it was going for health reasons, and there was a standing offer that if she had questions she did not w a nth to ask me, she could see a female physician.

It was pretty smooth. No biggie.

I am sure interest has ideas. I would be inclined to consider a new purse or bag for her to carry supplies in when away from home if her current one is not sufficient and then write a note of encouragement, put supplies in it, her favorite candy, and something fun or funny then slip it to her when daddy and brothers are not around.

There is a kit (purchased from the Target discount rack, because it had the cute case, etc) in DD's bathroom waiting, plus she knows where my supply is kept. I've also promised her that I'll make sure she has supplies when she's at her program this summer-she has fears of starting in the dorms (Although I am confident they are just as capable as managing a first or unexpected period as they were at managing DD losing two teeth during her first summer there).

I'm honestly not sure she'll even tell me beyond adding supplies to the shopping list. She's a pretty private kid, and has done her own laundry since she could get it out of the washer without falling in :).

This is a good reminder to get some things together for my younger daughter. I've seen several indicators recently that make me think it she may need them sooner than we would both prefer. I know the Kotex U feminine products for teens and tweens sometimes include zippered storage bags with the boxes.

Kotex will send you some free samples.  I ordered some.   Of course, my DD won't need the super ones.

https://www.ubykotex.com/en-us/get-a-sample?WT.mc_id=UBK_Paid-Search_Gen15_EN-US_UBK-G&ReferralCode=UBY-GENENU-PA-ORG-201542&WT.srch=1

• Like 2