Menu

best breed for emotional support dog given these caveats?

AngieW in Texas

My daughter will be going to get a letter that she needs an emotional support animal which will be her cat.  She has been in college two years so far and will spend fall semester abroad. She wants the cat there because she gets SAD and she will be coming from summer to the darkest part of the year and her cat helps with depression.  She says someone on her campus has a ferret.  She won't bother anyone since she has her own room and bathroom.

I'm glad she has her own room and bathroom -- it will be much easier to ensure that her cat doesn't get lost when she's the only one with a key to the room. I think it's great that she will have the cat for company, and that she won't have to deal with a roommate. :)

• Like 1

it's the attitude of pets before people of which I'm fed-up. It's the contempt for what is LEGAL and what isn't - dogs are legally required to be under their owners control re: leashed when in public - people don't' care. pet's aren't legally allowed in stores, malls, restaurants, etc. people don't care - they claim it's a "service dog" (which are the ONLY dogs legally allowed.) store owners aren't allowed to ask - it's against the ada. if anyone should be worked-up about this, it is owners of legitimate service dogs because of the backlash being caused by people taking their pets with them every where and claiming it's a service dog. stores can have signs saying "no pets", people will bring them anyway.

we have a real problem here where people CLAIM their mutt is a "service dog". sheesh- there have been any number of threads about this before. I"m certainly not alone in this.

we have off leash areas where people can take their dog. dog owners want more. so they let them run in the rest of the park which is for people - even near playgrounds with children. people don't' care how that affects other people. or dogs who are leashed . . . .

My mother had allergies - and had dealt with way too many people who'd rather ban an allergic person than from what it is they're allergic.

I also have a child with asd who is deathly afraid of dogs - friendly and curious dogs are just as bad. (possibly worse because they're more likely to be encountered.) I remember the day a young dog came into our yard (even our yard wasn't safe from loose dogs!) - he was screaming like he'd gravely injured himself. it was just a bichon frise puppy who wanted to play. however, he was petrified. even when I was there - he couldn't get up high enough. (he was attempting to climb on my head.) even when I showed him it was a nice dog - he didn't care, he was terrified. I have yet to meet an owner who gives a d@mn their "friendly" free-roaming dog is terrifying a child. (or the dogs who are straining at their leash - that is not a 'trained' dog.)

You are definitely not alone and I agree with everything you said. Many dog owners in my area have "Special Snowflake Syndrome" as well.

You are definitely not alone and I agree with everything you said. Many dog owners in my area have "Special Snowflake Syndrome" as well.

from the ptsd thread.  (no offense to those who have *real* ptsd).

pathetic trantruming snowflake syndrome.

I love dogs, I don't discriminate too much, though I do try to avoid both ends of the intelligence spectrum. ;)

there was one dog on out street . . .dumbest. dog. ever.  possums   are smarter.  it would sit in the middle of the road and just look at you like ;uhh, what'cha got there, what's the big machine . . .what's that loud blaring noise? . . where's it coming from? there it goes again. . the road is narrow - it's not like you can go around the stupid dog until it moved.  I was glad when the owners moved. (because they took their roadblock with them.) since it was so annoying fond of sitting in the MIDDLE OF THE ROAD - and was too dumb to move.

Not to be a total screwball, but I am currently working with a young lady who has gone through the proper channels to have a Holland Lop rabbit in her dorm room to help her with anxiety issues. They are easy to carry, don't bark, are playful and yet cuddly.

Just another option to consider...

• Like 6

<snip>  store owners aren't allowed to ask - it's against the ada.  if anyone should be worked-up about this, it is owners of legitimate service dogs because of the backlash being caused by people taking their pets with them every where and claiming it's a service dog.  <snip>

a)  Store owners are allowed to ask 2 things  (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform.

A dog can be asked to be removed if it is out of control.

​b)  Yes, owners of legitimate service dogs are very worked up because it makes it much harder for them.  In the six + years my daughter has had her service dog there has definitely been a change in tone in public with people questioning her own dog.  She wears a vest, is the most well behaved, well trained , bomb proof dog you will ever meet and my daughter has a very visible physical disability.  She will still be stopped at the door frequently and questioned about her 'pet' and why she is trying to bring it in.  

• Like 3