Menu

best breed for emotional support dog given these caveats?

AngieW in Texas

Another vote for ShihTzu.  A disabled friend of ours has a ShihTzu that basically self trained as a service dog.  He brings her things and has alerted for help multiple times when she has had problems.  He is so focused on her!  It's amazing.  We were at a loud action movie with them and this dog sat on her lap and did.not.move or make a peep the whole movie.  

We love big dogs usually, can't stand yappy and hyper smaller dogs.  This little ShihTzu won our hearts.

ETA, oh, just recently a friend with sleep apnea stayed over at their house.  The doggie stared at her when she would pause breathing and then once barked when she went too long.

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 6

Another vote for ShihTzu. A disabled friend of ours has a ShihTzu that basically self trained as a service dog. He brings her things and has alerted for help multiple times when she has had problems. He is so focused on her! It's amazing. We were at a loud action movie with them and this dog sat on her lap and did.not.move or make a peep the whole movie.

We love big dogs usually, can't stand yappy and hyper smaller dogs. This little ShihTzu won our hearts.

ETA, oh, just recently a friend with sleep apnea stayed over at their house. The doggie stared at her when she would pause breathing and then once barked when she went too long.

That dog sounds amazing!!! :hurray:

We had a Siamese cat that would sit on the bed and stare at my dh while he was sleeping. I told him she was watching over him and making sure he was breathing, but between you and me, I'm pretty sure she was waiting for a chance to smother him in his sleep.

So that's probably not the same as that nice ShihTzu.

• Like 9

Another vote for ShihTzu.  A disabled friend of ours has a ShihTzu that basically self trained as a service dog.  He brings her things and has alerted for help multiple times when she has had problems.  He is so focused on her!  It's amazing.  We were at a loud action movie with them and this dog sat on her lap and did.not.move or make a peep the whole movie.  

We love big dogs usually, can't stand yappy and hyper smaller dogs.  This little ShihTzu won our hearts.

ETA, oh, just recently a friend with sleep apnea stayed over at their house.  The doggie stared at her when she would pause breathing and then once barked when she went too long.

That dog sounds amazing!!! :hurray:

We had a Siamese cat that would sit on the bed and stare at my dh while he was sleeping. I told him she was watching over him and making sure he was breathing, but between you and me, I'm pretty sure she was waiting for a chance to smother him in his sleep.

So that's probably not the same as that nice ShihTzu.

There you go -- the difference between dogs and cats in a nutshell. :lol:

Shih Tzus have been bred for centuries to be lap dogs. Ours takes his responsibility very, very seriously. And we praise him for how hard he works at it. ;)

• Like 9

My 18yo decided that a dog would be better than a cat. While cats are better in a dorm room than dogs are, what my 18yo is really looking for is a very cuddly, furry animal to bond with. We decided that a cat would probably not be as cuddly as needed.

I had a super-cuddly cat. She was about 8 weeks old when I got her. I spent a lot of time handling and playing with her when she was young. I had never been around cats before (she was a gift I didn't know how to refuse), so I treated her like a dog. We played for 3 hours every night and she went everywhere with me.

My neighbor has tons of farm cats. Those from a particular mother are very friendly and affectionate and cuddly. So genetics likely plays a role in this, too.

If your DD decides to get a cat, then she should start with a kitten who is not shy or a super-responsive adult cat, and not just take the first one that pops up on her radar.

Regarding a dog's exercise needs, if she gets a dog, I bet there will be tons of students in her dorm who are eager to walk it or even run with it when it is old enough.

• Like 3

Please be sure to carefully research the restrictions around an emotional support dog. My niece has one, and no one warned them that emotional support dogs do not have the same privileges under the ADA as service dogs. Her dog is not considered a service dog and cannot go into stores, restaurants, etc that service dogs can. There ARE psychiatric service dogs, but to get one you have to go through the same hoops you would for any service animal.

https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet

Edited by MedicMom
  • Like 6

We have an American Eskimo rescue. She is cuddly, intelligent, doesn't have high excersize or food needs, is clean, and easy, but I can't picture her in a dorm. She would overheat badly and be bored if she had to spend time alone in a dorm room. What she wants to do is sit on the front steps all day and alert me to anything moving in the yard. She has her roots as a farm dog and that is exactly how she behaves. She is happy outside in our New England winter and spends the summer wading in the lake periodically throughout the day to try to stay cool. As a companion animal for me, she is perfect. She'd love being out and about on campus (we've done that) and would sit quietly through lectures without a problem provided she were near me. But she'd overheat with all that fur. Also, according to the vets we've visited, my particular eskimo is not typical of her breed. Every vet we,ve seen approached her with extreme caution and didn't believe me at first when I said she wouldn't bite them. She was originally from Canada and after not being bitten, one vet said that maybe the Canadians have been been better at not messing up their blood lines. She is the only dog I have ever had and my son rescued her at 8 months old from a sad but not bad situation. When she came to us, I just treated her like I would any toddler. She's smart enough that that worked fine. But ... I don't know anything about dogs in general, only this dog, so I might not know what I am talking about. : )

Nan

• Like 3

My vet and groomer both recommended shih tzu for my dd when I asked for best small dog.  My daughter currently has a cat that is her emotional support animal.  She will take him to college with her.  Once he is gone we'll get her the shih tzu.  I think the cat will be easier to manage during college myself.

• Like 4

Please be sure to carefully research the restrictions around an emotional support dog. My niece has one, and no one warned them that emotional support dogs do not have the same privileges under the ADA as service dogs. Her dog is not considered a service dog and cannot go into stores, restaurants, etc that service dogs can. There ARE psychiatric service dogs, but to get one you have to go through the same hoops you would for any service animal.

around here - that doesn't stop people from taking PETS into stores.  they are clearly pets, (a dog in  a stroller?  really?) - and  not particularly well trained.  definitely NOT legit service animals.

and it's not just women with their purse dogs - it's men with their big dogs.

I actually wanted to cheer one bakery that had a sign on their door "service dogs only" - that's how bad it has become.  

• Like 3

around here - that doesn't stop people from taking PETS into stores. they are clearly pets, (a dog in a stroller? really?) - and not particularly well trained. definitely NOT legit service animals.

and it's not just women with their purse dogs - it's men with their big dogs.

I actually wanted to cheer one bakery that had a sign on their door "service dogs only" - that's how bad it has become.

Just, as an fyi, it is common to put dogs with Syringomyelia in a stroller, as many cannot have a collar or harness on due to pain.

Personally, I'm thankful that I live in a place where dogs are allowed in so many places. Ymmv.

• Like 4

I'm 99% sure that you are allowed to self-train psych service dogs.

I'm 99% sure that you are allowed to self-train psych service dogs.

Yes, but they aren't qualified as service dogs until they are trained to do a specific task. And just in general, a dog one is registering as a service dog should have basic public manners training as well. An emotional support animal doesn't need any training beyond what you'd regularly give a pet, just the right temperament to be a good match for the person needing support.

• Like 4

Yes, but they aren't qualified as service dogs until they are trained to do a specific task. And just in general, a dog one is registering as a service dog should have basic public manners training as well. An emotional support animal doesn't need any training beyond what you'd regularly give a pet, just the right temperament to be a good match for the person needing support.

Yes, absolutely.

Have you considered looking for a young adult dog (purebred or mix)  so you could fully assess temperament.  For example,  this guy would fulfill your criteria:  https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/37537234

ETA: of course you would be much better off finding one that did NOT need remedial housetraining!  He is just an example of what is out there in the rescue world

Here is another cutie, that looks a bit like a small golden retriever: https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/37536975

Edited by Kebo

Just, as an fyi, it is common to put dogs with Syringomyelia in a stroller, as many cannot have a collar or harness on due to pain.

Personally, I'm thankful that I live in a place where dogs are allowed in so many places. Ymmv.

that isn't why the purse sized dogs were in a *doggie* stroller. I've seen them multiple times - they are their purse sized fur 'babies'' who can't walk all over the mall with their mommies . . . plus it keeps them contained (with a screen so they can't jump out), and unless you're really looking, you don't realize it is a DOG - not a baby.

fur babies do not belong in the MALL.

Thanks for the explanation of the differences, Ravin -- I knew about service animals, but I have been hearing more about emotional support animals and was wondering if they were specially trained.

this.

registered service dogs have a much higher standard - there is no standard for emotional support animals.

ds's gf has lots of dogs.  I believe more than one can sense her seizures.  (her paranoid about her uncontrolled seizures father appeases her keeping her close by giving her dogs.)  they are all fully trained to non-english commands  - well beyond basic manners.  (her father is a leo - and he wants the dogs *trained*.)  though probably the german shepherds more  than the others.  she has a couple klee kais (minature husky) - and they want to rule the roost  . . er, pack.  (they're cute, but bossy.)

sensing seizures is something a dog can do, or not, but for which it cannot be trained.

• Like 1

A comment on cats, there are some cats out there that are quite cuddle babies. It might be worth checking with the animal shelters, since a cat really does require less care and is better suited to a dorm.

:iagree:

We have had many cats over the years, most of which started out being totally feral, and ultimately all of them turned out to be sweet and cuddly. It took a while with some of them, though, and it's probably best for the OP's dd to choose a kitten that is already socialized, but I do think the stereotype about cats being aloof is just a myth. :)

My biggest concern is whether it's a good idea to have any pet in a dorm, especially if there are a lot of people going in and out of the room. Many cats and dogs are excellent escape artists and might slip out of the room when the door is opened. I also worry about others in the dorm who might have allergies, and who might be disturbed by the noises the pets might make. Also, if the OP's dd gets a cat, where will she put the litter box, and how will her roommate feel about a litter box in their dorm room?

Edited for typo

Edited by Catwoman

And if the dog is in a stroller it is not providing a task as a service dog.  If it is a dog for the blind, mobility dog, dog for the deaf, etc it needs to be able to move around to help it's person.  If it is a seizure or diabetic dog it needs to be able to alert and close to the person to sense a change in the person.  Any reputable trainer, etc will tell you a legitimate service dog has no reason to be in a stroller.  It can not do the work it is trained to do.  

Edited by zimom
  • Like 1

A comment on cats, there are some cats out there that are quite cuddle babies.  It might be worth checking with the animal shelters, since a cat really does require less care and is better suited to a dorm.

a couple months ago I read an article about an autistic girl whose support animal was a cat.  she took it bike riding, canoeing, etc.  the CAT even *swam* with her!  (and play in the bathtub.).

I guess the cat didn't get the memo it was supposed to be the boss and was supposed to try to kill anyone who wanted to own it. . . . ;p

ok - it's a maine coon cat.  they're 20+ lbs.

• Like 2

My biggest concern is whether it's a good idea to have any pet in a dorm, especially if there are a lot of people going in and out of the room. Many cats and dogs are excellent escape artists and might slip out of the room when the door is opened. I also worry about others in the dorm who might have allergies, and who might be disturbed by the noises the pets might make. Also, if the OP's dd gets a cat, where will she put the litter box, and how will her roommate feel about a litter box in their dorm room?

I was wondering the same thing. Especially when there are many people with pet allergies. Because the animal wouldn't be confined to just the dorm room (which also wouldn't be fair to the animal) they would be in the common areas as well. Seems like it would be better suited for not only other people in the dorm but for the animal itself to live in an apartment with just their owner or an agreeable roommate, not a dorm room.

I was wondering the same thing. Especially when there are many people with pet allergies. Because the animal wouldn't be confined to just the dorm room (which also wouldn't be fair to the animal) they would be in the common areas as well. Seems like it would be better suited for not only other people in the dorm but for the animal itself to live in an apartment with just their owner or an agreeable roommate, not a dorm room.

I totally agree. I think it's inappropriate to have a pet in a dorm (for all of the reasons already mentioned -- for the sake of the pet and also the other dorm residents). If she isn't allowed to live in an apartment (and enjoy her pet there), and she cannot function emotionally without a pet, I would be reconsidering whether she is ready to go so far away to college. 

• Like 5

:iagree:

I'm surprised to hear that dorms allow pets. If even one cat owner is a little lax about litter box duty, it could turn into a stinky situation for the entire floor, and one noisy dog could make many lives miserable. Also, if some of the kids are afraid of dogs, it could be a big problem.

I love both cats and dogs, but I'm not sure they belong in college dorms unless there is such a thing as pet-friendly dorms, where kids won't be assigned unless they specify that they're okay with it.

(Edited for my usual typos -- I'm on a roll today!)

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 4

I've heard of more and more colleges that have pet friendly dorms so I'm guessing the students know what they are getting into.  I also know of more colleges  allowing their students to participate in puppy raising for various service dog organizations including the one from which we obtained our daughter's dog.  (see avatar)

https://www.collegeraptor.com/blog/on-campus/20-pet-friendly-college-campuses/

https://coe.uga.edu/news/2015/05/dawgs-raising-dogs

https://today.ucf.edu/ucf-student-turns-promising-puppy-into-potential-service-dog/

Edited by zimom
  • Like 5

First thoughts were Sheltie or King Charles though the shelties I've known have been a little on the nervous side whereas spaniels seem a little calmer. I've also seen a cocker spaniel that would fit the role perfectly. Otherwise you might need to look into a mixed breed to get the qualities you are after. If you are doing that it could be safer to go with an older dog because then you can tell exactly how the mix will present.

You know, if she can get her hands on an Italian Greyhound (IG) to feel the fur, that really would be an ideal emotional companion breed. They LOVE LOVE LOVE to snuggle. As in live for snuggling. And although the fur is short, it is SOOOOO silky. You have to feel it to understand. Not like lab fur at all. More like fine silk. They love to share body heat, so are total lap dogs. And small enough to take everywhere, without looking like a fluffy lap dog. 

• Like 2

I was going to say Sheltie. They are amazing!

I love Shelties, too! :hurray: I know others have already mentioned that they like to bark, but I was also thinking that my Sheltie would have been bored sick if she had been confined to a dorm room for most of the day. They are such intelligent dogs that they get lonely and bored without some company and enough space to roam around.

• Like 1

that isn't why the purse sized dogs were in a *doggie* stroller. I've seen them multiple times - they are their purse sized fur 'babies'' who can't walk all over the mall with their mommies . . . plus it keeps them contained (with a screen so they can't jump out), and unless you're really looking, you don't realize it is a DOG - not a baby.

fur babies do not belong in the MALL.

You seem really worked up about this. Dogs in the mall are a pretty normal thing here in Southern California. If it's not hurting someone else, why do you care?

My Cavalier cannot walk on lead without air scratching, which is a common symptom of SM. So, I have to carry him everywhere I go. I was actually thinking of putting him in a basket or a stroller of sorts, so he could come with me on walks or bike rides. I am sure that you would consider me one of those uppity people taking her fur baby everywhere, too.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 1

And if the dog is in a stroller it is not providing a task as a service dog. If it is a dog for the blind, mobility dog, dog for the deaf, etc it needs to be able to move around to help it's person. If it is a seizure or diabetic dog it needs to be able to alert and close to the person to sense a change in the person. Any reputable trainer, etc will tell you a legitimate service dog has no reason to be in a stroller. It can not do the work it is trained to do.

I was not arguing that a dog in a stroller was a service dog. The dog could be a pet or esa with a health condition. The poster has no way to know.

Well, my pet carer sister says that cavaliers are dumb as a brick. But they were originally bred for precisely the reason you need this dog, so I'd say cavalier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cavalier is dumber than a box of rocks, but adorable, sweet, and calm. We can't all be perfect. ;)

• Like 2

You seem really worked up about this. Dogs in the mall are a pretty normal thing here in Southern California. If it's not hurting someone else, why do you care?

My Cavalier cannot walk on lead without air scratching, which is a common symptom of SM. So, I have to carry him everywhere I go. I was actually thinking of putting him in a basket or a stroller of sorts, so he could come with me on walks or bike rides. I am sure that you would consider me one of those uppity people taking her fur baby everywhere, too.

Well, I'm not Kristen so I have no idea if she's "really worked up" over it, but I can understand people objecting to dogs in malls, particularly if they are severely allergic to dogs. Also, some people are afraid of dogs and prefer to shop in malls rather than in outdoor shopping areas because there are no dogs at the mall.

I love dogs, but can definitely understand the "no pets" rule at the mall.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 1

Maybe you should look into teddy bears? I love mine, so much so that we are expecting our second litter any day now :001_wub: .My male is about 15 lbs and the female is about 10 lbs. Teddy bears are a mix between bichon frise and shih tzu; also called shichon. While they enjoy walks, they don't need them for exercise; they get enough exercise through playing. Their personalities are very enduring and mine aren't prone to barking - they might if they see a cat or person outside, but not always. Mine are not overly demanding of attention either; they love to cuddle, but are content to do something else once their love bank is filled. Another plus, they actually have hair, not fur. So they don't typically shed, but will need hair cuts (ours get hair cuts about twice a year). My boy's hair is very soft and curly; my girl's is a tad coarser and straighter, but still soft.

I'm not sure how to upload a picture to the forum, but link below is a picture of them from this past Christmas. The boy is the gray one, and the girl is black and white. 

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-G6iGanQH9pA/WLim5b1SZeI/AAAAAAAAEMA/Fs9POhZYOg0XBj-9LYEOGY5lp2RnsuFhgCLcB/s1600/20161225_092147.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I'm not Kristen so I have no idea if she's "really worked up" over it, but I can understand people objecting to dogs in malls, particularly if they are severely allergic to dogs. Also, some people are afraid of dogs and prefer to shop in malls rather than in outdoor shopping areas because there are no dogs at the mall.

I love dogs, but can definitely understand the "no pets" rule at the mall.

But, that's my point. There clearly isn't a no pets rule at all malls, and she didn't describe a situation where people were flagrantly ignoring some rule. She said that dogs don't belong in malls. Period. And, that's fine. It's her opinion. But it isn't one that everyone shares. Most of the malls here are indoor/outdoor, and there is not a no pets rule at most places. So, why not bring your dog, if you enjoy it? And, if allergies are the big objection, then why get worked up about dogs being held in arms or kept in bags/baskets. That seems to be the considerate thing to do for people with allergies. She seems "worked up" about people bringing dogs anywhere and in any manner with which she disagrees. 

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 1

But, that's my point. There clearly isn't a no pets rule at all malls, and she didn't describe a situation where people were flagrantly ignoring some rule. She said that dogs don't belong in malls. Period. And, that's fine. It's her opinion. But it isn't one that everyone shares. Most of the malls here are indoor/outdoor, and there is not a no pets rule at most places. So, why not bring your dog, if you enjoy it? And, if allergies are the big objection, then why get worked up about dogs being held in arms or kept in bags/baskets. That seems to be the considerate thing to do for people with allergies. She seems "worked up" about people bringing dogs anywhere and in any manner with which she disagrees.

In my area, there is a no pets rule in stores, restaurants, and malls. Perhaps it's similar where she lives.

• Like 3

In my area, there is a no pets rule in stores, restaurants, and malls. Perhaps it's similar where she lives.

Really? Is this a city-wide ordinance or something? The individual business owners have no choice in the matter? 

I have lived all over the world, and I've mostly just seen individual proprietors deciding what works best for their business, taking into account local custom/preference, malls inclusive. Not that I have never seen a mall with a no-pets rule; I have just never seen a larger city/county ordinance prohibiting pets, a la prohibiting smoking.

Interesting.

Really? Is this a city-wide ordinance or something? The individual business owners have no choice in the matter?

I have lived all over the world, and I've mostly just seen individual proprietors deciding what works best for their business, taking into account local custom/preference, malls inclusive. Not that I have never seen a mall with a no-pets rule; I have just never seen a larger city/county ordinance prohibiting pets, a la prohibiting smoking.

Interesting.

Health department regulations. :)

I have seen people bring tiny dogs into some stores and no one has said anything, but it's not technically allowed. I have never complained about it because I'm usually too busy asking the owner if I can pet their dog. :)

Edited to add -- I'm not sure if it's only health department regulations or if there are other reasons, as well.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 2

A student at the local LAC had a beagle with her in the stands during basketball games. It seemed to do well with the noise and hullabaloo of a gymnasium filled with fans. I think beagles are beautiful dogs but their fur isn't silky.

What about a schnauzer or a scotty dog?

Beagles..those EARS!! Ohhhhh yes... silky and amazing.

But probably not in a dorm room. I can imagine that howling bark...ugh.

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 2

My daughter will be going to get a letter that she needs an emotional support animal which will be her cat.  She has been in college two years so far and will spend fall semester abroad. She wants the cat there because she gets SAD and she will be coming from summer to the darkest part of the year and her cat helps with depression.  She says someone on her campus has a ferret.  She won't bother anyone since she has her own room and bathroom.

• Like 1

it's the attitude of pets before people of which I'm fed-up.  It's the contempt for what is LEGAL and what isn't - dogs are legally required to be under their owners control re: leashed when in public - people don't' care.  pet's aren't legally allowed in stores, malls, restaurants, etc.  people don't care - they claim  it's a "service dog" (which are the ONLY dogs legally allowed.)  store owners aren't allowed to ask - it's against the ada.  if anyone should be worked-up about this, it is owners of legitimate service dogs because of the backlash being caused by people taking their pets with them every where and claiming it's a service dog.  stores can have signs saying "no pets", people will bring them anyway.

we have a real problem here where people CLAIM their mutt is a "service dog".  sheesh- there have been any number of threads about this before.   I"m certainly not alone in this.

we have off leash areas where people can take their dog.  dog owners want more.  so they let them run in the rest  of the park which is for people - even near playgrounds with children. people don't' care how that affects other people.  or dogs who are leashed . . . .

My mother had allergies - and had dealt with way too many people who'd rather ban an allergic person than from what it is they're allergic.  

I also have a child with asd who is deathly afraid of dogs - friendly and curious dogs are just as bad. (possibly worse because they're more likely to be encountered.) I remember the day a young dog came into our yard (even our yard wasn't safe from loose dogs!) - he was screaming like he'd gravely injured himself.  it was just a bichon frise puppy who wanted to play. however, he was petrified.  even when I was there - he couldn't get up high enough. (he was attempting to climb on my head.)  even when I showed him it was a nice dog - he didn't care, he was terrified.  I have yet to meet an owner who gives a d@mn their "friendly" free-roaming dog is terrifying a child.  (or the dogs who are straining at their leash - that is not a 'trained' dog.)

• Like 5