Menu

Aldi's ??

HSinNH

Wowsers. You must live in low food price land. Our milk is more like $2.79 at Aldi. Eggs are $1.35. Which is still significantly less than other stores.

I am In West Michigan. There is a grocery war going on now with milk and eggs so they are super duper cheep. We do live in an area with lots of chickens and dairy cows. I just know the farmers can survive those low prices.

• Like 2

I agree with Ottakee, part of what I like about Aldi is the no-hassle part. I have no time for coupons, downloading matching, comparing, going to three stores etc. I also like that it is small (like TJ's) and does not add to my decision-making fatigue. One kind of ketchup, not 47. Do I need ketchup, yes or no, move on. 

Some people complain about the produce, but I think the only difference between my Aldi and Kroger or Walmart is that the larger stores pay people to cull the produce. They have boxes of spoiled produce in the back. 

I do shop other places too, but I appreciate the savings at Aldi. 

• Like 8

Cereal is great, ours has excellent produce. I buy bread there, yogurt, butter, baking staples, spices and seasonings, their jasmine and basmati rice is great. Tortillas canned goods salsa tortilla chips all great. Sandwich meat is good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Whoa. You're feeding your whole family for $60 a week including snacks?!!!!!?[emoji322][emoji471]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huh.  My multiquote goes straight to reply mode. 

Short answer, no.  I buy rice, frozen fruit & veggies and chicken in bulk at Sam's or Costco, and we buy a fraction of a cow at a butcher once or twice a year. 

I might make an exception for something like lunch meat or special buys at Aldi (corned beef, smoked turkey etc).  I also don't buy paper or hygiene products at Aldi.  But canned food, seafood, most fresh produce, 85% of random ingredients I need for meal planning, snacks, and junk are most definitely cheapest at Aldi.

Random things for special occasions (gluten free cake ingredients, frozen gluten free corn dogs, dinner party or potluck fare) typically come from a more expensive grocery store.

• Like 2

Aldi's is hit and miss. I appreciate the gluten free labeling and the Live G Free line of foods. What I find a tad frustrating is that I can never be certain that something will be on the shelves when I go shopping. It seems like some items are staples while others are not.

ETA: I do not like the GF pizza from Aldi's. 

I've gotten to know what items are staples, but I am equally frustrated by this.  My nearest Aldi is constantly out of stuff I assume they will have.  You know the whole we reserve the right to limit quantities thing?  They don't do that there.  I see people going in there and buying like 50 gallons of milk or all of the bread.  So they are constantly out of milk, bread, eggs, and even produce.  I'm glad I have plenty of other nearby options, but it's annoying.  Basically I write a list and then stop at Aldi first to get whatever they happen to have on the list.  Then I go to whatever other store for the rest.  Many times they are out of staples. 

I blame individual management.  There is another Aldi a bit further up the main drag, and I have much more luck there. 

Edited by SparklyUnicorn
  • Like 2

Dont like Aldi, everything I have bought there tastes nasty or is stale or rotten. Plus there are only 4 aisles of food...in Australia at least. The other downside is their stock varies too much. You cant count on things being there week to week and thats annoying when planning meals.

Edited by sewingmama
  • Like 1

I run into Publix sometimes and the sticker shock always amazes me.  I don't know how people do regular grocery shopping there.  It is a pleasant experience though!

I remember when I first moved to this area and went to a Publix for the first time. Shortly afterward I met another mom from ds's soccer team and we started talking grocery shopping. I was floored when she said she bought all her meats and produce at Whole Foods and filled in the rest of her shopping from Publix. All I could think was: she must have a huuuge food budget! 

• Like 4

I've gotten to know what items are staples, but I am equally frustrated by this.  My nearest Aldi is constantly out of stuff I assume they will have.  You know the whole we reserve the right to limit quantities thing?  They don't do that there.  I see people going in there and buying like 50 gallons of milk or all of the bread.  So they are constantly out of milk, bread, eggs, and even produce.  I'm glad I have plenty of other nearby options, but it's annoying.  Basically I write a list and then stop at Aldi first to get whatever they happen to have on the list.  Then I go to whatever other store for the rest.  Many times they are out of staples. 

I blame individual management.  There is another Aldi a bit further up the main drag, and I have much more luck there. 

I agree that this is a management problem.  Both of the Aldi's I go to in our area have limits on the amount of milk, eggs and bread that can be purchased.  Usually the sign says 10 gallons of milk is the limit or 20 loaves of bread and I can't remember what the egg limit is.  I know for a while the milk limit was 4 gallons and I was running up against that limit all the time because when I make yogurt I usually need at least five gallons to make it through a week.  When eggs were on sale one week the limit was 2 dozen which was really crazy for our family so I was glad when they upped the limits.

• Like 3

I remember when I first moved to this area and went to a Publix for the first time. Shortly afterward I met another mom from ds's soccer team and we started talking grocery shopping. I was floored when she said she bought all her meats and produce at Whole Foods and filled in the rest of her shopping from Publix. All I could think was: she must have a huuuge food budget! 

Man, I know people who always tell me publix is competitive on price and I wonder if they are crazy or if they just really don't notice. I've stopped in to several and it's ALWAYS higher. I don't bother anymore. 

• Like 5

I went to Aldi the other day and remembered another reason why I love it.  I live in the south and while I like plenty of things about the south and have no desire to move back north, Aldi is the one grocery store that just gets me in and out without having to hear the life story or sometimes the testimony of the cashier.  It's all business.  I was reminded of this while struggling to get out of Target without being rude while the cashier told me her book club recommendations.  I once had a Publix cashier while checking out my purchases (which included beer) tell me she used to drink beer but then she found Jesus and she knows he doesn't approve.

The lines at the Aldis I have been in (sample size of three) always look longer than they are.  The cashiers move so quickly.  No bagging, no small talk, they have you swipe your card and ask about cash back while you wait.  The cashiers are pleasant but it is all business.  

• Like 2

My Aldi's finally carries chocolate almond milk all the time. I like that I can buy "healthier" snacks for the kids (no artificial colors & no HFCS) and it's not as expensive as the other grocery stores. I do what others have said, have a list and buy what I can at Aldi and then fill in the rest at Kroger. I don't have the time or mental energy to deal with coupons and sales flyers. Aldi helps me feed us good quality foods and not break the budget doing it.

• Like 3

Eh, we like Kraft mozz on our pizza.  I am ok with non fancy cheese on our pizza.  I make pizza at least once a week, it's one of the few foods I can count on DD6 eating all the time.  If I get too fancy with it, there's a possibility that she won't eat it. 

<snip>

I don't see the point of expensive cheese on pizza.  :-)   

We think Aldi's regular cheese is fine.  If I was having a cocktail party or making a special dish, I would get better, more flavorful cheese, but for a quick cheese and cracker plate for an impromptu gathering, or family dinner quesadillas or pizza, their regular cheese is fine for us.  

Obviously everyone's tastes are different.  

• Like 2

The lines at the Aldis I have been in (sample size of three) always look longer than they are.  The cashiers move so quickly.  No bagging, no small talk, they have you swipe your card and ask about cash back while you wait.  The cashiers are pleasant but it is all business.  

Yes, this! I think someone mentioned up-thread how the packages have huge barcodes on several sides, so scanning items is quick. The cashiers we've always had are knowledgeable too, which helps speed things up. 

Still waiting to hear about what European chocolates are favorites of WTMers. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am bummed, Aldi has stopped advertising their produce prices in their ad.  So no price matching to Walmart.

Does anyone know if Walmart's Savings Catcher uses Aldis and matches produce?

Otherwise I think I am going to have to start making the trip.

My ad just came today with all the prices listed.  I wonder if it's a regional thing?

Well I am bummed, Aldi has stopped advertising their produce prices in their ad.  So no price matching to Walmart.

Does anyone know if Walmart's Savings Catcher uses Aldis and matches produce?

Otherwise I think I am going to have to start making the trip.

My ad has prices. They don't list everything but neither do other grocery store flyers list everything.

http://weeklyads.aldi.us/Aldi/BrowseByPage/Index/?StoreID=2623605&PromotionCode=Aldi-170315INSc&PromotionViewMode=1

Edited by Lady Florida.

My ad has prices. They don't list everything but neither do other grocery store flyers list everything.

http://weeklyads.aldi.us/Aldi/BrowseByPage/Index/?StoreID=2623605&PromotionCode=Aldi-170315INSc&PromotionViewMode=1

THANK YOU!

So odd.  When I get the emails from Aldi and follow the link this add is not there.  When I use your link, the add is there.  My gosh.  Annoyed.  The last few weeks we haven't been able to price match to Aldi, just because we didn't have a visible add to do it from.  I am not sure if prices are the same across the states so I didn't want to take the prices I see on blogs. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

About a year ago they opened an Aldi nearby which was about twice the size of all the others.  Somehow they maintained the appeal in a larger store!  Now they are in the process of expanding several of the other stores in the area.  Apparently, they are open during the first five weeks of construction, then they close for five weeks before reopening at the larger size.

We already do most of our shopping at Aldi.  This will likely increase the amount of shopping we do there.

Anyone else getting an enlarged Aldi?

About a year ago they opened an Aldi nearby which was about twice the size of all the others. Somehow they maintained the appeal in a larger store! Now they are in the process of expanding several of the other stores in the area. Apparently, they are open during the first five weeks of construction, then they close for five weeks before reopening at the larger size.

We already do most of our shopping at Aldi. This will likely increase the amount of shopping we do there.

We are, around October, I think. It's going to be a hassle because I'll have to go in completely the opposite direction for a while. I grocery shop once a week, usually in the evening, and I hit Aldi and Giant/WM at the same time because they're all next to each other.

• Like 1

About a year ago they opened an Aldi nearby which was about twice the size of all the others.  Somehow they maintained the appeal in a larger store!  Now they are in the process of expanding several of the other stores in the area.  Apparently, they are open during the first five weeks of construction, then they close for five weeks before reopening at the larger size.

We already do most of our shopping at Aldi.  This will likely increase the amount of shopping we do there.

I just yesterday drove by and saw ours looks like it is being expanded! I'm excited!

• Like 1

There are very few things I like at Aldi.  The GF brownie mix is great.  The almond milk is good.  I love their wild salmon and they have a pretty decent cheap wine.  I think my list stops about there.  I love the prices of their produce but unless I am eating it within 24 hours, it just doesn't last.  I hate their standard cheeses.  They are wax-like and tasteless.  They have some specialty cheeses that are good sometimes.  We are pretty health conscious and dairy and gluten free so most of the shelf stable items are out for us.

There are very few things I like at Aldi.  The GF brownie mix is great.  The almond milk is good.  I love their wild salmon and they have a pretty decent cheap wine.  I think my list stops about there.  I love the prices of their produce but unless I am eating it within 24 hours, it just doesn't last.  I hate their standard cheeses.  They are wax-like and tasteless.  They have some specialty cheeses that are good sometimes.  We are pretty health conscious and dairy and gluten free so most of the shelf stable items are out for us.

Yeah, that would limit you. 

I buy milk, eggs, sugar, frozen italian sausages, pasta, pasta sauce, chips/snacks for the teenager, trail mix, etc.

• Like 1

I went to an Aldi in belgium today. I have no idea if this is a typical store, but it's a bit bigger than the Lidl in town (very similar store model). You all are definitely getting a whole different supply of (American) food.

In Europe they don't sell milk by the gallon, but a liter of UHT milk at Aldi is €0,69, or about $0.75. Normally I buy it for about €1 per liter. I didn't see the eggs.

Most of the produce is cheap and looks fine. I got a huge, ripe mango for under $2, which is cheaper than in Alaska (small, hard mango for $2.50).

A good portion of the store is cookies & junk food. We shopped hungry so we got some junky things to try. I got some €4 take & bake pizzas, and they were ok. The gyro one has corn on it. ;)

Dh was put off by the presentation. It feels like a dented can store. He bought some spreads, and he doesn't read French. When we got home I told him he'd bought beef tartare (minced raw beef)! Only €1,29! Oh well, it tastes fine. The chicken pita one and the chicken Greek salad were delicious.

We recently went out of our way to an Aldi because we were curious, and wow--we won't go there again. Nearly the entire store was junk food, and the stuff that didn't look like junk food actually was. I was so mad at myself for not checking the ingredients before buying almond butter (same price as TJ's, FWIW) because well, it's almond butter! Almonds! But nope, this crap has palm oil and salt and sugar! I can forgive the salt, almost, but otherwise...gross. I don't even want to give it to the food bank because it's just so unhealthy.

I do understand each store is different, but since we don't have one anywhere near us anyway, they aren't hard to avoid. Hopefully this was a particularly old and forgotten shop. They can't all be that bad?

We recently went out of our way to an Aldi because we were curious, and wow--we won't go there again. Nearly the entire store was junk food, and the stuff that didn't look like junk food actually was. I was so mad at myself for not checking the ingredients before buying almond butter (same price as TJ's, FWIW) because well, it's almond butter! Almonds! But nope, this crap has palm oil and salt and sugar! I can forgive the salt, almost, but otherwise...gross. I don't even want to give it to the food bank because it's just so unhealthy.

I do understand each store is different, but since we don't have one anywhere near us anyway, they aren't hard to avoid. Hopefully this was a particularly old and forgotten shop. They can't all be that bad?

Um, I assure you that the people without enough to eat will not turn their noses up at almond butter with sugar in it. 

• Like 9

I went to an Aldi here in Germany yesterday!  It was my first real grocery trip here.  It was within walking distance.  Everything I bought has been good, and I think the prices were decent.  They had a lot of sale items with red labels, especially in the produce, which seemed priced to move.  It's a little scary buying packaged food because I can't read the labels and have to go off the pictures, but the milk, yogurt, chicken, leeks and plums were all great.

Send it here. We find the organic almond butter from Aldi delicious, and the 2g added sugar per serving make it taste really good.I fail to see where the problem is unless you are diabetic and have to limit your sugar intake. 

I am sure the people who would receive this item from the food bank would be thrilled about the addition of an unusual, tasty item to their diets, especially one that is too expensive for them to buy with their limited funds.

I am able to feed my family a healthy balanced diet mainly sourced from Aldi. I can assure you that there are plenty of non junk items - but then, I do not consider almond butter with 2g added sugar per serving "junk".

ETA: You know Aldi has a money back guarantee, right? Simply return it for a refund.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

Um, I assure you that the people without enough to eat will not turn their noses up at almond butter with sugar in it.

Yeah, I know...but palm oil? In almond butter? Anyway, I was just mad at myself. Of course I'm going to donate it.

And obviously by the fact that so many people love the chain, not all the stores can be as dismal as that one was. I think it was mentioned here they can be hit or miss. We missed. ;)

Yeah, I know...but palm oil? In almond butter? Anyway, I was just mad at myself. Of course I'm going to donate it.

And obviously by the fact that so many people love the chain, not all the stores can be as dismal as that one was. I think it was mentioned here they can be hit or miss. We missed. ;)

That reminds me I grabbed a container of peanuts without reading the label at Aldi.  I figured...ya know..peanuts.  Dry roasted.  The dang things had sugar in them!  Grrrr.   The cocktail ones in the can don't though.  And their "natural" tomato sauce in a can has corn syrup, but the regular one has no sugar.  Go figure!

I'm not anti palm oil.  Just anti sugar.  :closedeyes:

• Like 2

See, I don't get the Trader Joes love. Every time I've gone in there, I've left empty handed, wondering why I've left the comfort of my redneck Aldi to maneuver around hipster moms in bumper to bumper luxury SUVs to get nearly the same darn items I could get at Aldi, and cheaper.

On a scale of 1-10, I aim for my food to taste between a 4-8. That's good enough. 9-10 is worth the extra money or trip for special occasions. I am sick of one of my children wanting all of his food to taste perfect all the time. Suck it up and eat the wax cheese, child. I'm not spending hours in the kitchen every day aiming for melt-in-your-mouth perfection x5 people. And a food snob cat, too.

• Like 4

See, I don't get the Trader Joes love. Every time I've gone in there, I've left empty handed, wondering why I've left the comfort of my redneck Aldi to maneuver around hipster moms in bumper to bumper luxury SUVs to get nearly the same darn items I could get at Aldi, and cheaper.

On a scale of 1-10, I aim for my food to taste between a 4-8. That's good enough. 9-10 is worth the extra money or trip for special occasions. I am sick of one of my children wanting all of his food to taste perfect all the time. Suck it up and eat the wax cheese, child. I'm not spending hours in the kitchen every day aiming for melt-in-your-mouth perfection x5 people. And a food snob cat, too.

Only thing I like at Trader Joe's is the cheese.

Our nearest Trader Joes is 2 hours, so I don't think I've ever been there. But I was traveling recently and in a town with one and oh my! So much delicious cheese! A way cheaper than Whole Foods (to which I have to drive 2 hours as well) or Kroeger (their cheese assortment is pitiful). 

Life is too short to eat plastic cheese.

I also loved the hummus, much better than Aldi's hummus which isn't bad either. Friends shared chocolate nuts and nibbles which I liked as well.

Sigh, I wish I could go back and shop more... 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

Our nearest Trader Joes is 2 hours, so I don't think I've ever been there. But I was traveling recently and in a town with one and oh my! So much delicious cheese! A way cheaper than Whole Foods (to which I have to drive 2 hours as well) or Kroeger (their cheese assortment is pitiful). 

I also loved the hummus, much better than Aldi's hummus which isn't bad either. Friends shared chocolate nuts and nibbles which I liked as well.

Sigh, I wish I could go back and shop more... 

It's funny; my daughter is the main hummus eater in our house, and she much prefers Aldi hummus to Trader Joe's.  We have both stores near us, so we shop at both.  

I'm happy with the cheap Aldi cheese for some things - it serves its purpose.  I find that their goat and feta cheese have no flavor so I buy those at TJ's (or Costco if I'm going to be using a lot).   For nicer cheeses, no place is better than TJ's.  

Actually the favorite (non-homemade) hummus in our house is from Wegman's.  They are not too close to us, but when we are going to be near one, we buy a few.   And their prices are comparable with Aldi.   (People think of Wegman's as a "fancy" store but many of their products are priced competitively.)

Only thing I like at Trader Joe's is the cheese.

I'm happy with the cheap Aldi cheese for some things - it serves its purpose.  I find that their goat and feta cheese have no flavor so I buy those at TJ's (or Costco if I'm going to be using a lot).   For nicer cheeses, no place is better than TJ's.  

I've never bought cheese at TJ.  I get sticker shock every time I've looked at it.  It's triple what the grocery store charges and the selection is tiny.  I've bought a few cheese items from Aldi and while I have no complaints on the flavor the price was a bit up there.  

But to give you a frame of reference, I live in WI, land of cheese, and my local grocery store has two full aisles of cheese of everything from cheese plastic wrapped american cheese to specialty artisan cheese produced locally to fresh cheese curds that were made that morning.  So yeah I"m a bit spoiled and a bit of a snob when it comes to cheese. 

• Like 1

I've never bought cheese at TJ.  I get sticker shock every time I've looked at it.  It's triple what the grocery store charges and the selection is tiny.  I've bought a few cheese items from Aldi and while I have no complaints on the flavor the price was a bit up there.  

But to give you a frame of reference, I live in WI, land of cheese, and my local grocery store has two full aisles of cheese of everything from cheese plastic wrapped american cheese to specialty artisan cheese produced locally to fresh cheese curds that were made that morning.  So yeah I"m a bit spoiled and a bit of a snob when it comes to cheese. 

It's your frame of reference, LOL.

Here, grocery stores carry almost exclusively American plastic cheese - rectangular blocks of "cheddar" or "swiss" that look and taste as if they have ben manufactured in a chemical plant. The taste bears no resemblance to real cheddar or swiss.

A ball of Mozzarella at the regular grocery store is $5, compared to $2.50 or thereabouts at Aldi. A small wedge of Jarlsberg cheese at Kroeger is $8; when Aldi has some, it's $4. 

• Like 3

I am able to feed my family a healthy balanced diet mainly sourced from Aldi. I can assure you that there are plenty of non junk items - but then, I do not consider almond butter with 2g added sugar per serving "junk".

We also purchase most of our food at Aldi.  Sure, there are plenty of items at Aldi that I would *never* purchase (because of MSG, etc.), but that doesn't change the fact that I love that store.

And, yes, we sometimes consume "junk" items that we purchased at Aldi.  We call them "treats". ;)

• Like 2

We also purchase most of our food at Aldi. Sure, there are plenty of items at Aldi that I would *never* purchase (because of MSG, etc.), but that doesn't change the fact that I love that store.

And, yes, we sometimes consume "junk" items that we purchased at Aldi. We call them "treats". ;)

I'm currently eating from a box of garlic Parmesan gluten free crackers from Aldi (washed down with a not-Aldi Dr. Pepper). Yay road trip junk food!

I had a friend visiting from California whose idea of "road trip junk food" was boxed organic baby spinach... also washed down with a Dr. Pepper, lol. Aldi sells that too!

• Like 2

None of our Aldi's sell alcohol of any kind.  And we have strange liquor laws here.  Grocery stores may sell beer and wine, but not liquor.  And liquor cannot be sold in the same stores as beer and wine (so liquor stores never sell all three). 

• Like 1

Ours did that in exactly the same way - stayed open at first, closed to finish, reopened. They reopened yesterday and I stopped in (didn't realize it was the first day of reopening). It's bigger and brighter. I'd say cleaner but my Aldi was already clean, so I guess it has a cleaner look even though it wasn't dirty before. However, I didn't notice any big changes. Some people on a local facebook page were gushing about the new refrigerated produce section. They just took some of the bagged/packaged produce (like lettuce in a bag) out of the cooler doors and moved them. They have more of the stuff they carried before but not a bigger variety. I did see a few more national brands than usual and a bit more German foods but other than that I didn't see a big difference from before the expansion.

I'm a big Aldi fan anyway so that's not a criticism. It's just my impression that not much changed besides making the store bigger and brighter looking. 

None of our Aldi's sell alcohol of any kind.  And we have strange liquor laws here.  Grocery stores may sell beer and wine, but not liquor.  And liquor cannot be sold in the same stores as beer and wine (so liquor stores never sell all three). 

Florida tried to change that more than once. The last time, just this year, a bill actually passed both state houses. Governor Voldemort (that's who he looks like and I'm not the one who came up with that name for him) vetoed it.

• Like 1

Florida tried to change that more than once. The last time, just this year, a bill actually passed both state houses. Governor Voldemort (that's who he looks like and I'm not the one who came up with that name for him) vetoed it.

They have tried to change it more than once here too, but the wine/spirit shops usually scoff because they would probably all be put out of business if grocery stores were allowed to sell that stuff. 

• Like 1

We also purchase most of our food at Aldi.  Sure, there are plenty of items at Aldi that I would *never* purchase (because of MSG, etc.)

Aldi has removed artificial colors and MSG from all their exclusive store brand products in 2015

https://corporate.aldi.us/en/corporate-responsibility/customers/health-well-being/ingredients/

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

None of our Aldi's sell alcohol of any kind. And we have strange liquor laws here. Grocery stores may sell beer and wine, but not liquor. And liquor cannot be sold in the same stores as beer and wine (so liquor stores never sell all three).

Grocery stores here can't sell liquor unless they also have a pharmacy.

Alcohol can only be sold between 10am and 10pm, so the alcohol shelves are roped off before that.  Yes, I have sometimes popped in for a bottle of wine first thing (to drink that night) and not been able to buy. 

Apart from that, all forms of alcohol can be sold by supermarkets.

Alcohol can only be sold between 10am and 10pm, so the alcohol shelves are roped off before that.  Yes, I have sometimes popped in for a bottle of wine first thing (to drink that night) and not been able to buy. 

Apart from that, all forms of alcohol can be sold by supermarkets.

In CT it used to be that liquor could not be sold after 8pm (in stores).  They changed that, but I can't recall what the new law is.  Here there is no such restriction.