Menu

what are some good video math programs?

Mom28kds

Is the 400 level for fourth grade?  Most providers I know only offer Prealgebra onwards. You may choose to start that early and take it slowly. Or you may have to do fifth grade Math on your own before moving on to Prealgebra for sixth grade.

My comments are based only on having seen videos from these four providers. I have not seen the textbooks/workbooks.

1. Chalkdust - I viewed several of the Algebra videos and really liked them. His explanations and examples were clear and thorough to me. This is my second favourite option. However, my dd12, who viewed two of the videos with me said it was boring.

Chalkdust has Basic College Math (which can be used from about fifth grade onwards) and PreAlgebra (which overlaps quite a bit with BCM.)

I think Chalkdust is the most expensive option.

2. Thinkwell - I viewed some of the Algebra videos. The explanations are clear enough but the presentation seemed fast paced to me. I preferred the slower, methodical delivery of Chalkdust.

Also, Thinkwell has a split-screen video where you simultaneously see the teacher in one box and his whiteboard in another part of the screen. Whereas Chalkdust is the traditional view of the teacher at a big green chalkboard which displays in the entire screen and I prefer that.

Thinkwell has Sixth Grade Math and the next step is their PreAlgebra.

3. Derek Owens - The Prealgebra videos are available on youtube. The explanations were clear, and I think the pace is slow enough to be understood by a struggling learner. These videos were my favourite (but Chalkdust came close); DO's voice is very pleasant.

You only see a blackboard in the videos; you hear but don't see the teacher. This may be a bit of an adjustment for your dc. 

4. TabletClass - There are sample videos on their web site. I understood the explanations well enough. I didn't like this teacher's voice at all, but that is my personal opinion. Folks on these forums have had positive experiences with this teacher.

You only see a whiteboard in the videos; you hear but don't see the teacher. 

This is the most affordable option; it goes on sale for $50 for each level.

Edit: minor typo.

Edited by nansk
  • Like 1

For that age you could try Khan Academy as supplemental and still stay with CLE. I did that for my oldest and it worked pretty well. I would look the lessons up in advance, then go over the workbook and video lesson from Khan (with her) before deomonstrating more problems myself on a white board and then giving her the assignment.

If you are looking for a complete video based program to switch to there are Teaching Textbooks, Math-U-See, and DIVE videos (to accompany Saxon) to name a few. They all have 4th grade level I believe.

If the problem is she is struggling to retain the concepts you might seriously consider switching to a mastery program like MUS for a bit rather than a spiral like CLE or Saxon.

Edited by texasmom33

I have not used these, so only throwing options out to you.  

Teaching Textbooks.

Math-U-See.

Mastering Essential Math Skills by Richard W. Fisher - for this, once you buy the book, then you get a free code, which is inside the book, for short online lessons.  I'm considering this to fill in some gaps for my dd's, or I'll use MM.

Systematic Mathematics - I just went to their website and it says that they are no longer selling curriculum, so you'd have to find it used somewhere. 

• Like 1

She may need more mastery based as mentioned by others.

If you want to stay with CLE, though, you might consider doing CTC math for video instruction alongside CLE.  (link below).  Gives access to math from kinder through Calculus so all previous concepts can be reviewed, plus if your child is doing well in a particular area they can keep moving forward.  Very supportive of asynchronous learning.  You can set up student accounts for everyone in your family without having to pay more than just the one flat yearly rate.  I have my own student profile so I can refresh my knowledge of math, too.  We do CTC and CLE combined here.  It has worked better running both.  You can repeat CTC lessons over and over since it generates new problems each time.  There are separate fact drills and games that can also be accessed.  We found the format/presentation easier than Khan Academy.  It is usually for sale at Homeschool Buyer's Co-op for a much better price than through CTC itself:

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/ctc-math/

As for why she is struggling, I would want to delve further into that.  Maybe she needs a more mastery approach.  Maybe the 400s are just going to be a hard level for her.  Maybe she is missing some critical pieces from a previous level.  Etc.

When you are doing the CLE lessons, are you working with her on the new material together, maybe on a dry erase board first?  If you have the TM it will give additional suggestions as well.  I would try to determine where the disconnect is.  Work together on the new concepts and do several problems to confirm understanding then maybe also work together on the review of the previous day's concepts.  Let her do the rest of the problems on her own but check them immediately.  If she runs into weak areas review immediately together.  Does she need to move more slowly?  The 400s cover a lot of important concepts.  Sometimes students need to slow down at this level, doing new material and the review of the previous lesson on one day then review of older concepts the next day until they get about halfway through the light units.  At that point they are usually solid enough they can move at normal pace again.

Did she do 401?  If so, how well did she do?  Could she maybe have forgotten some key concepts from previous levels?  Did you take a long hiatus between levels?  She may need some solid review of the previous level.  If you have the TM then write out the problems on quad paper so you don't have to rebuy the light unit and have her review 401.  If she has gaps there, then review from the previous TM if you have it.  After that, review new concepts from the rest of the 400 series, going slowly until she is solid.

Have you had evals to have a reason for why she's struggling? MUS has videos and will connect with a lot of kids. However that's pretty significant when you have an 11 yo doing 4th grade math. I think the explanation really matters at this point to help you target your efforts. If there's an SLD or ID or something else going on, you could tailor your approach and go more specific to it with more confidence.

Have you tried hiring a tutor or paying someone to work with her, to see what they notice about what clicks?

• Like 1

Have you had evals to have a reason for why she's struggling? MUS has videos and will connect with a lot of kids. However that's pretty significant when you have an 11 yo doing 4th grade math. I think the explanation really matters at this point to help you target your efforts. If there's an SLD or ID or something else going on, you could tailor your approach and go more specific to it with more confidence.

Have you tried hiring a tutor or paying someone to work with her, to see what they notice about what clicks?

Thanks! We are checking to see if there are any reasons why she is struggling. I am just wondering if a different approach would be better :)

• Like 1