Menu

CLE 700s - Failing - How can we finish our year well?

melissamomof5

My oldest has done so well up until this year with CLE math.

She just took test 705 and I think every one so far she has failed. I probably should have done something sooner. :( I just keep helping her with the things she misses, but I think it's time for a change.

What can we do to finish the year out well?

I have Teaching Textbook Alegebra for the fall. 

Do you know what is hanging her up?  Is she having trouble with specific concepts?  Is she making a lot of silly errors?  Are you looking for ways to change how you use CLE or do you want to switch to something else for the rest of the year?

If she is having trouble with specific concepts, I'd spend a few weeks going back and reteaching (and then have her practice just those things for several days).  Going back to it might make a light bulb come on.

If she is making a lot of silly errors, she could be overwhelmed.  Silly errors can be a symptom of working memory overload.

If you want to switch to something else, the logical choice would be TT Prealgebra so that you can be sure she is prepared for their algebra course.

• Like 1

Do you know what is hanging her up?  Is she having trouble with specific concepts?  Is she making a lot of silly errors?  Are you looking for ways to change how you use CLE or do you want to switch to something else for the rest of the year?

If she is having trouble with specific concepts, I'd spend a few weeks going back and reteaching (and then have her practice just those things for several days).  Going back to it might make a light bulb come on.

If she is making a lot of silly errors, she could be overwhelmed.  Silly errors can be a symptom of working memory overload.

If you want to switch to something else, the logical choice would be TT Prealgebra so that you can be sure she is prepared for their algebra course.

Thank you :) It is a mix. And there are some things in CLE 700 that I don't even remember how to do and am not sure it's something she needs to do. I think she has come to a point in that math where it is no longer the right fit for her.

Thank you :) It is a mix. And there are some things in CLE 700 that I don't even remember how to do and am not sure it's something she needs to do. I think she has come to a point in that math where it is no longer the right fit for her.

But she will probably need it for algebra and co in high school next year. Switching programs won't fix the problem if the problem is a concept or a process she doesn't understand, ykwim?

I would reorder and start where she hit a wall.  Have you been grading her assignments the whole time?  We did CLE 7.  I don't think any of it was unneeded concepts.  If she needs more instruction, you can google the concept.  Youtube has LOTS  of short videos.  Also Khan Academy is so helpful for specific concepts.

I don't think I would change math mid year unless I planned on starting a program from the beginning and working through summer.

• Like 1

If CLE was working really well right up until CLE 700 then I would not be switching mid year.  I would try to find out where the disconnect is.  How involved have you been with her lessons prior to CLE 700?  Were you doing the math with her?  If you have both forgotten previous concepts then maybe you were moving too fast, or took too much time off between levels?  I know if we take too long of a break everyone here starts to forget.  

1.  Did you have her do CLE 701 this year?  Or did you skip it?  Personally, I would strongly consider doing CLE 701 again (or for the first time if you skipped it) to confirm that there aren't some gaps from previous levels.  Start there.

2.  Are you doing each lesson's new material together, maybe using the TM for additional work/helpful suggestions?

3.  Are you checking her lessons DAILY to confirm understanding?  If not, I would absolutely start doing this as well.  In fact, I would sit nearby and check as soon as she is done.  Review immediately anything that she is confused over.  Don't go on to taking the test until you are pretty certain she is solid on all concepts.  If you have the TM that makes it much easier to grade her lessons quickly and to review with her. 

4.  Are you trying the suggestions in the TM to help her solidify concepts she is stumbling over?   Do you have the TMs for the previous levels?  That will also make it easier to review if there are concepts at previous levels she seems to be weak on.  If you run through 701 and find gaps from previous levels you can use the TM from previous levels to come up with daily work to solidify those gaps. Do previous level problems on a dry erase board or write them out on quad paper instead of having to reorder light units from previous levels.

4.  Have you tried slowing down and working through the material at only half speed?  In other words half a lesson each day until she gets more solid?  Rushing forward when she is struggling is just going to make it much worse further down the road.  I would go back to 701, move slowly, solidify her foundation then reassess what speed would work best moving forward.

Hang in there.  The most important thing you can do right now, IMHO, is STOP moving forward or just ditching things altogether and go back to find what the disconnect is and how to fix it.  You may end up needing to switch in the long run but I really wouldn't do it yet.

I think you've gotten some good ideas. I agree that she may need more teaching instead of a different curriculum. You might find a program that she likes better, but she is still going to have to master the same concepts.

I'll just add that I would be very cautious about attempting algebra next year if she has not understood prealgebra. I assume that you know that CLE's prealgebra is included in both the 700 and 800 level. Someone who is struggling with 700 is not going to be ready to go right into algebra in a few months, in my opinion.

I'm sure that is not what you'd like to hear, but I believe it is true.

Math never came easily for DD15, but she completed CLE through level 800. This year she is enrolled in algebra in a brick-and-mortar high school, and she is getting A's. I wouldn't have expected her to be ready for algebra after level 700 without also doing level 800.

I completed through calculus in high school and then promptly forgot most of it, because it never came easily to me. DH is naturally better at math, so he became the math teacher for DD at the prealgebra level. It was a good decision. Could you think about getting her a tutor?