Menu

CC: Devotional to read through Lent

Just Kate

I would love to find a nice daily devotional to read now through Easter. I am Protestant and my particular church doesn't really celebrate the Lenten season (not sure if it is Lent or Lenten...I've seen both). I would really like to take this time to reflect, get off of Facebook, and spend more time focused on Jesus.

Would love your recommendations!

Gospel Sermons, Volume 1, by Walther.  This takes the Gospel lessons in the traditional one year lectionary and presents an excellent sermon on each one.  Volume 1 takes you through the church year, IIRC it starts with the Advent lessons and goes through Trinity Sunday (so, roughly December through May).  You read the Bible passage, and then read the sermon.  These are earnest, devout, Gospel-centered, and very carefully thought out.  Lots to think about in each one.  Meaty but each is self-contained so it's doable.

Or, for something a little lighter, "The Vine Speaks" and "The Rock Speaks", both by the Cindy Steinbeck, whose family for several generations has been running a vineyard in Southern California.  Very interesting devotional studies around references to grapes and vines and vineyards in the first one, and rocks, sand, mountains, etc. in the second.

I would love to find a nice daily devotional to read now through Easter. I am Protestant and my particular church doesn't really celebrate the Lenten season (not sure if it is Lent or Lenten...I've seen both).

Can't think of a devotional that would be right for you; but "Lent" is the noun, and "Lenten" is the adjective.

• Like 1

I would love to find a nice daily devotional to read now through Easter. I am Protestant and my particular church doesn't really celebrate the Lenten season (not sure if it is Lent or Lenten...I've seen both). I would really like to take this time to reflect, get off of Facebook, and spend more time focused on Jesus.

Would love your recommendations!

This is Catholic, but shouldn't be anything offensive, etc to a Protestant. I read it each year (they do a new one each year). Scripture plus an interesting fact, biography of a saint or famous martyr, etc each day. Short, so totally doable. 

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Black-Book-Lent-2017-ebook/dp/B01MTCV3FA/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1488314978&sr=1-1&keywords=little+black+book+lent+2017

Orthodox Mom put this one out (Orthodox Lent started yesterday, but it'd be easy to catch up). It's for all 40 days and Holy Week, too.  It presents a Bible verse a day and has you write about it in the context of Lent.  There'll be some Orthodox helps in there, I think.  You don't have to use those if they don't apply. 

• Like 2