Menu

My cousin can "see" her stolen laptop, cops won't get it!

RioSamba

My cousin and I had a wonderful trip to Salt Lake City for a genealogy conference. Unfortunately, it ended on a sour note with her luggage being stolen from the baggage check at our hotel. 

She's back home,  thousands of miles away. She can "see" one of her stolen laptops with find my iphone, and the police will not retrieve it unless she accompanies them! 

I'm so frustrated and wish I could fix this. 

• Like 1

That is frustrating! I guess they want her to be able to confirm that it is her laptop.

I tried using the app just to see how accurate it was just the other day. The first time I looked, it said my ipad was in my neighborhood, but on a different street than where I live. I did it again a few minutes later and that time, it showed at my house. It did make me wonder though since the ipad was in the same exact place both times, how it could show that it was in two different places within a few minutes.

Eta: Hope she gets it back somehow.

Edited by school17777
  • Like 1

That is frustrating! I guess they want her to be able to confirm that it is her laptop.

I tried using the app just to see how accurate it was just the other day. The first time I looked, it said my ipad was in my neighborhood, but on a different street that where I live. I did it again a few minutes later and that time, it showed at my house. It did make me wonder though since the ipad was in the same exact place both times, how it could show that it was in two different places within a few minutes.

Eta: Hope she gets it back somehow.

My only Apple device is an iPad, and I have no experience with the functionality of the find feature, but it's been in the same place for some time. 

The original SLC detective was very responsive, but the laptop is in a suburb which is a different jurisdiction, and they don't seem to care.

It's absolutely maddening to see it and not be able to do anything about it! She lost two laptops, some jewelry, lots of clothes, all of the research she'd done in the Family History Library, and all of her notes from our classes. 

Thanks for your good wishes. I will be so happy if she can get anything back. She is a sweetheart.

That's weird. Around here the cops want you to stay the heck away and let them handle it if you track down someone who stole your phone/computer/etc. They don't want civilians getting involved for safety reasons.

Can't she send them a picture of the laptop so they know what they're looking for?

• Like 4

That's weird. Around here the cops want you to stay the heck away and let them handle it if you track down someone who stole your phone/computer/etc. They don't want civilians getting involved for safety reasons.

Can't she send them a picture of the laptop so they know what they're looking for?

Yes, that makes a lot more sense to me, I can't imagine that they really want her there. I think they just don't want to put forth the effort. Again, this is not the SLC detective, but a suburban cop. 

I will ask about the picture, but you would think that all of the find my iphone screen shots would suffice!

Wow.  That is frustrating. 

Totally OT ... when were you in SLC?  We were there earlier in the month and there was a huge genealogy conference going on in the same place where dd's competition was. We may have been in the same building and not have known it. 

It was the week of February 8th, RootsTech at the Salt Palace.

On a related note (and hindsight 20/20), never check electronics, cash, jewelry etc. It is a sad state of affairs, but it is just too easy for an unscrupulous baggage handler to steal items. I'm so sorry about your friend's stuff; I hope she is able to retrieve her items soon.

• Like 2

That is when we were there! I did walk through the conference when we went in the wrong door. That conference was huge! Dd was competing in the Salt Palace.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

That's so funny! I didn't know there was anything happening there but RootsTech! There were about 12,000 people, and 30,000 on the final "Family Day."
  • Like 1

On a related note (and hindsight 20/20), never check electronics, cash, jewelry etc. It is a sad state of affairs, but it is just too easy for an unscrupulous baggage handler to steal items. I'm so sorry about your friend's stuff; I hope she is able to retrieve her items soon.

Her bags weren't stolen by a hotel employee, although the hotel was negligent. The hotel was full of conference attendees, all of whom were checking out that day, and most of whom had classes into the afternoon. She could not have dragged her stuff all around the Salt Palace, which is enormous.

The bellmen decided to leave the door to the bag check unlocked because they were so constantly in and out. Bad decision! Security tape shows the thieves, and they weren't employees. They just took advantage of a very busy day.

The hotel is responsible and they've said they will reimburse Cousin's losses, although the research is irreplaceable.

TBH, I've never thought twice about checking at the hotel, and my own bag with laptop was sitting in the very same room! It's always seemed like a more personal transaction than checking at the airport (where I don't check valuables). Two other people also had items stolen from the bag check.

I think for the most part, checking is fine. I've been checking my whole life and never had an issue, nor known anyone to have an issue. You know it happens, yadda, yadda , yadda. After this unfortunate event, I'll still use hotel check, but I'll be much more thoughtful about what I check.

Interestingly enough, the hotel isn't responsible for theft from the rooms since they provide a safe and secure (LOL) storage.

• Like 1