Menu

Writing with Ease - Transitioning to Real Books

I've used WWE 1 & 2 for about a year, but this year we've made the transition to real books. I like the flexibility and it's been easier than I had anticipated. Both of my dd's enjoy their reading, but I'm not so sure how to know that we're making good progress.

Last year, we were using the WWE guide books that allowed us to measure how we're doing. After all everything was laid out. After a while, I could  tell that my girls were able to hold more in their head and write back what they narrated.

Is there a way to tell that you're on track and making progress?

Edited by EngOZ

I've read the instructor text and planned it out according to SWB's suggestions. I guess we're still getting a feel for how it's going to play out.

Sounds like you need the WWE instructor text (I'm assuming you don't already have it). It has all the guidelines for all the levels, for those who want to use their own literature:

https://welltrainedmind.com/p/the-complete-writer-writing-with-ease-instructor-text/

Edited by EngOZ

You might like, if you haven't heard it already, SWB's talk on teaching writing.  https://welltrainedmind.com/p/a-plan-for-teaching-writing-grades-k-12-mp3/

I love the WWE workbooks, because they are so open-and-go.  However, at this point, this lecture helps me to think of writing as a set of achievable skills, and I use WWE as more of a guideline for where we are - we don't use every page of it.  If we just did a bunch of dictation for spelling, I don't make Dd do MORE that day for writing.  I've listened to the lecture above several times, and it helps me be more deliberate and less curriculum-bound. 

I do use the book list at the front of each level of WWE as part of our booklist.  We've found several fun books that I hadn't read before!

• Like 2

Thanks Elroisees I'll give it a listen.

You might like, if you haven't heard it already, SWB's talk on teaching writing.  https://welltrainedmind.com/p/a-plan-for-teaching-writing-grades-k-12-mp3/

I love the WWE workbooks, because they are so open-and-go.  However, at this point, this lecture helps me to think of writing as a set of achievable skills, and I use WWE as more of a guideline for where we are - we don't use every page of it.  If we just did a bunch of dictation for spelling, I don't make Dd do MORE that day for writing.  I've listened to the lecture above several times, and it helps me be more deliberate and less curriculum-bound. 

I do use the book list at the front of each level of WWE as part of our booklist.  We've found several fun books that I hadn't read before!