Menu

Spelling suggestions

Dd will turn 7 in June and reads very well.  We went through Blend Phonics to teach reading about 2 years ago.  She is now reading chapter books like Black Stallion, Because of Winn Dixie, etc.  Her spelling is reasonable, but it isn't something we have specifically worked on other than when writing letters or making cards.  I bought Scrabble and am now doing a little with that, but I am looking for something we can do over the summer that doesn't take tons of planning and is beyond the very basic of c a t spells cat.  Any suggestions?

Step 1:   Make sure that she can segment sounds.   (That is very important before you attempt to teach spelling. )

Step 2:  Give her the pretests from Spelling Plus (available free from here:  http://www.susancanthony.com/bk/sp.html)  (This will give you a rough idea of which of the most common words she needs to review organized by "level" of difficulty.)    Once she misses more than a few, start with those lists in the spelling plus books.   (The lists in the book are roughly organized by spelling patterns.)  

Step 3:   AFTER handwriting is well established and not a struggle, start doing daily dictation.  This will review various mechanics and grammar concepts and spelling.   (Sources for dictation:  Spelling Wisdom by Simply Charlotte Mason or there is even a spelling dictation book by the makers of Spelling Plus. )   NOTE:  Unless you are dealing with a child who writes WAY above grade level, you should probably just concentrate on copywork at this age and make it a goal to build up hand stamina, work on proper letter formation, and establish nice handwriting habits.   Once handwriting is very easy for your child, you can then introduce dictation.

Edited by TheAttachedMama
  • Like 1

I've heard mixed reviews of this from others, but for my 7 year old, SWB's recommended Spelling Workout books are great. She is the kid who will remember how something is spelled after reading and writing it a couple times-- a natural speller, I guess you'd say, so the minimal practice in SW is enough to get her spelling words correctly.

• Like 1

I've heard mixed reviews of this from others, but for my 7 year old, SWB's recommended Spelling Workout books are great. She is the kid who will remember how something is spelled after reading and writing it a couple times-- a natural speller, I guess you'd say, so the minimal practice in SW is enough to get her spelling words correctly.

Did you use the teachers book as well?

Not sure exactly what you are looking for when you say you want "more" than CVC words, but my kids enjoyed All About Spelling which teaches the spelling rules and concepts behind the word lists. She might like the letter tiles since you are having fun with scrabble pieces. Here's a review I did awhile back. Happy curriculum hunting!