Menu

Natural remedies for gall bladder

Janeway

Gall bladder problems are so painful, and can also be dangerous if ignored. I think you should see your doctor to make sure your self-diagnosis is correct. Most doctors don't immediately jump to recommending surgery, and even if yours does, you can still say no if you want to try some diet changes first, so I hope you won't hesitate to go to the doctor for fear that he or she will tell you something you don't want to hear.

But please get checked out before you start treating yourself for a problem that you may not even have.

I hope you feel better soon, and that you're able to prevent future attacks. :grouphug:

Edited to add -- Your symptoms do sound like gall bladder, but I'm mainly concerned that they are getting worse. I don't want to be a nag, but I really think you need to see your doctor now, rather than waiting until you have an attack that could send you to the ER for emergency surgery. Hopefully, that will never happen, but I would hate to see you take that chance.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 10

My husband had pancreatitis this past year (not related to the gallbladder as far as they know in his case, but they often go together). He spent nearly a week in the ICU. Believe me, this is not a pain you would wish upon your worst enemy, and the dangers are enormous and permanent. This is not the time for a juice cleanse. Please, please get yourself to the doctor.

• Like 7

My husband had pancreatitis this past year (not related to the gallbladder as far as they know in his case, but they often go together). He spent nearly a week in the ICU. Believe me, this is not a pain you would wish upon your worst enemy, and the dangers are enormous and permanent. This is not the time for a juice cleanse. Please, please get yourself to the doctor.

The same thing happened to my MIL. We almost lost her. It took her nine months to recover enough from the pancreatitis that they could finally go in and get her gallbladder out. No surgeon would touch it as long as there was any inflammation present and it took it that long to clear up.

Janeway, the tests for gallbladder aren't bad. An ultrasound and perhaps a HIDA scan to check how well it's functioning (the gallbladder can be low functioning in the absence of stones, sludge or any other issue). The HIDA scan can cause some temporary cramping and/or nausea, but mine only lasted a couple of minutes. You need that information before deciding how to proceed.

• Like 4

I have a friend who thought she was having awful pregnancy-related heartburn. She had the baby and a couple weeks later almost died of pancreatitis caused by her gallbladder (she wasn't a drinker). It is nasty, nasty stuff.

I completely understand not wanting to go to the doctor. IMO it's a hassle to get an appointment set up, find childcare, wait around forever, then get poked and prodded and told to do things you don't want to do, or the doc is not open to avenues you'd prefer to explore, or gets all judge-y when you don't want to take their advice, and it just seems easier to experiment a little on your own. I get that. But the consequences of a bad gallbladder can be excruciatingly painful or even fatal.

You don't have to get surgery right away, but at least you'll know where you stand.

• Like 2

Go to a doctor. 

Gallbladder pain can have different causes. It can be stones, but it can also be an underfunction that causes the painful contractions. An inflamed gallbladder can also develop dangerous complications.

Mylanta is an antacid - I don't see how that would have any effect on the gallbladder, no matter what issue the gb has.

• Like 3

things that support your liver. one theory is it stores bile from the liver and this is an indication of liver health.  cut out all sugar - including all the substitutes. cut out fat, lower carb (because it is converted to sugar)

lots of veggies, etc.

there are some good liver support supplements. my ND wanted me to take integrative theraputics detox factors (pricy, but worth it).  I've also used now liver detox, and emerald labs liver support.

i think it is worth trying to help the gallbladder - I had mine  out years ago (lots of stones), and wish I knew then what I know now.

eta: I agree - mylanta wouldn't do anything.

Edited by gardenmom5

Gall bladder problems are so painful, and can also be dangerous if ignored. I think you should see your doctor to make sure your self-diagnosis is correct. Most doctors don't immediately jump to recommending surgery, and even if yours does, you can still say no if you want to try some diet changes first, so I hope you won't hesitate to go to the doctor for fear that he or she will tell you something you don't want to hear.

But please get checked out before you start treating yourself for a problem that you may not even have.

I hope you feel better soon, and that you're able to prevent future attacks. :grouphug:

Edited to add -- Your symptoms do sound like gall bladder, but I'm mainly concerned that they are getting worse. I don't want to be a nag, but I really think you need to see your doctor now, rather than waiting until you have an attack that could send you to the ER for emergency surgery. Hopefully, that will never happen, but I would hate to see you take that chance.

Yes to both of these. Adding another vote: get checked out. My spouse toughed it out and what was supposed to be laparoscopic surgery done in less than an hour, turned into a 4 hour, life-threatening surgery, with a large incision. Recovery took a couple of months. So, yeah, you can't mess around with this. 

My BIL (an M.D.) woke up one night in excruciating pain (he suspected pancreatitis, they had just gotten back from a cruise with lots of drinking and eating) but the U/S showed and inflamed gall bladder. By the time he went to surgery a couple days later his gall bladder was gangrenous and it was a mess in there. He went from first attack to gangrene in a few days.

• Like 2

My BIL (an M.D.) woke up one night in excruciating pain (he suspected pancreatitis, they had just gotten back from a cruise with lots of drinking and eating) but the U/S showed and inflamed gall bladder. By the time he went to surgery a couple days later his gall bladder was gangrenous and it was a mess in there. He went from first attack to gangrene in a few days.

OTOH, as not to scare the OP: your gallbladder may also have issues that are not putting it at immediate risk of inflammation. A diagnostic ultrasound will confirm whether there are stones and obstructions, and possibly the doctor might be able to tell you that you can safely delay surgery. I lived for many years with my symptoms (in hindsight, I still wish I had done the surgery earlier), because they had a different cause.

But you as the patient are not in the position to make this decision without examination and diagnostics.

• Like 4

Adding, my DH does not fit any profile for pancreas or gallbladder issues. His doctors are baffled why someone in such excellent health would have had such a sudden and serious attack. He's truly lucky to be alive.

Please take the cautioning seriously. This is not the time to self diagnose or blindly decide that you can fix it. Perhaps your issues will be simple to fix, or perhaps not. Please, please let your doctors decide for you.

:grouphug: to everyone who has been through this.

• Like 2

The same thing happened to my MIL. We almost lost her. It took her nine months to recover enough from the pancreatitis that they could finally go in and get her gallbladder out. No surgeon would touch it as long as there was any inflammation present and it took it that long to clear up.

Janeway, the tests for gallbladder aren't bad. An ultrasound and perhaps a HIDA scan to check how well it's functioning (the gallbladder can be low functioning in the absence of stones, sludge or any other issue). The HIDA scan can cause some temporary cramping and/or nausea, but mine only lasted a couple of minutes. You need that information before deciding how to proceed.

I have already been calling around to check prices and they are quite high. I really don't have any choice about seeing the doctor.

I guess from reading everyone's posts, I should hope it is really not gall bladder. I was thinking it could be kidney stones again, which would be less expensive of course. I have had kidney stones before, but the pain was lower. This pain is high, at my rib cage.

Edited by Janeway

Apple cider vinegar helped me get through the last few days before surgery. I didn't dilute it, and would sip it every few minutes. Btw I ignored my gallbladder pain for eight months and it became the pancreatitis. Don't ignore or self treat; this is one of those things that does not get better on its own. If you develop fever, stop eating and drinking and go to the er.

Edited by trulycrabby
  • Like 2

Janeway, I've had both issues being discussed here: my GB had to be removed (the result of IV meds known to cause GB issues, but the benefit outweighed the risk) and pancreatitis, later, also from necessary meds.

This can be serious and life threatening, fast.

Even if you don't have insurance, I think you need to be seen.  I'm so sorry.

• Like 2