Menu

Is there evolution in chemistry?

I'm planning for chemistry next year for my 10th grader.  I do believe in evolution and old earth.  I do not want to use science books that are anti-evolution and teach young earth.  For biology, this is a big issue.  Evolution and the age of the earth are in a large proportion of the lessons.  

Is this an issue in chemistry?  I'm considering a Christian book, Discovering Design with Chemistry.  Do I need to worry about old earth/evolution issues in chemistry as I need to with biology?  Or does it simply not come up in chemistry?

I'm ok with a lesson or two being young earth or anti-evolutionary, as I can counter balance a couple of lessons, but not the entire book (as with biology.)  

I cannot imagine where these issues could possibly surface in an introductory chemistry course .

Thank you!  I'll be outsourcing chemistry next year, as I daydreamed my way through chemistry in high school and don't remember a thing.

The class I was hoping for my son to take uses a book by a Christian author.  I wanted to be sure ye/evolution wouldn't be an issue.  

Curious: how do they tie evolution to introductory chemistry?

From the Cathy Duffy review: 

The course ends with two pages discussing chemistry and evolution, essentially rejecting evolutionary theory on the basis of chemical principles and probability. While a Christian worldview underlies the course, specifically religious content aside from the two pages I mentioned appears only in a brief mention of God in the first chapter of the text and a few places in the laboratory workbook.

• Like 1

I'm planning for chemistry next year for my 10th grader.  I do believe in evolution and old earth.  I do not want to use science books that are anti-evolution and teach young earth.  For biology, this is a big issue.  Evolution and the age of the earth are in a large proportion of the lessons.  

Is this an issue in chemistry?  I'm considering a Christian book, Discovering Design with Chemistry.  Do I need to worry about old earth/evolution issues in chemistry as I need to with biology?  Or does it simply not come up in chemistry?

I'm ok with a lesson or two being young earth or anti-evolutionary, as I can counter balance a couple of lessons, but not the entire book (as with biology.)  

This blog post by the author gives some indication as to the type of Christian content to expect from the text.

• Like 1

The only questionable page in our young earth Chemistry text was about how climate change is not real because God gave dominion over the Earth to man. Apparently that means that man is infallible and could never do anything to screw up the Earth. That sort of stands in the way of a whole lot of other Biblical storyline, but whatever.

I was very pleased with the text we used. It forced me to recognize that I had a strong bias against religious texts which was largely unfounded and based on fear.

The only questionable page in our young earth Chemistry text was about how climate change is not real because God gave dominion over the Earth to man. Apparently that means that man is infallible and could never do anything to screw up the Earth. That sort of stands in the way of a whole lot of other Biblical storyline, but whatever.

I was very pleased with the text we used. It forced me to recognize that I had a strong bias against religious texts which was largely unfounded and based on fear.

Really? A text that denied climate science would scare the Bejeezus out of me!

• Like 2

Really? A text that denied climate science would scare the Bejeezus out of me!

I think that is what I has to realize. Yeah, that one page was total opinion, but I knew the rest was not. I have enough background that I could analyze the actual science content. So, I could discard a wonderfully useful item over a page, or I could really figure out what was bothering me. I chop curriculum to bits all the time, taking what I want and discarding what doesn't work for us. Why was I so freaked out by it in a science text?

It was a beginner's chemistry course presented in a conversational, engaging way that met my son's need for dense information presented in a non-textbookish fashion. It met every need we had. Was I really that upset over a page which was misleading? No, I was freaked out that somehow my son was not going to see it as total opinion - and fairly ignorant opinion at that. I was not worried about the text, I was worried my son was going to blindly follow.

Part of what we did was to unpack all the layers of implication which went into the badly written paragraph or two about climate change. I just had to teach my son how to look at information. That is a very important skill.

People are rarely worried about what they admit to - myself included. If we were honestly upset over misleading or politicized opinions in text books then history would be at the top of the list, followed shortly by nutrition/health books. Science has become an unnecessary battleground and I fell right in. It was a really good lesson for me to look at what I was actually feeling.

• Like 4

I'm not sure, but I've seen some people come up with some twisted stuff about carbon dating to justify YE, so I could see *some* potential for that. Otherwise, nothing comes to mind. 

TBH, I've wondered why YEC people are willing to use most of the conventional sciences, as they all have ties to the idea of an old universe that would require a non-scientific reading of the biblical texts. 

• Like 1