Menu

Do your kids know analog clock time? Are you sure?

Ginevra

A friend of mine, who is a school teacher, asked what is the reason to still learn analog clock time. (The kids think it's unnecessary.) It was quite interesting the sheer volume of replies. I'm firmly on the side of kids learning to tell time on an analog clock, partly because this just makes a person more knowledgeable and grows the brain. However! After this conversation, I found that the four analog clocks I have in my house are, in fact, not displaying the correct time, and two of the four have been incorrect for at least a few years. Yes, years, including the analog clock hanging in the homeschool room!

So, I quiz my youngest child and, lo and behold, he can barely just tell time on an analog clock. He has forgotten the distinction between the "big hand" and the "small hand," and cannot immediately see, for example, 6:30 or 8:45. He has no practice at it. So, because I do not wish for him to have to take an Adulting Class when he's 20 to learn analog time 😉, we will be practicing telling time in analog every day. Also, I'm fixing all my incorrect clocks and getting them fresh batteries or whatever it is they require.

What do you think? Do your kids know how to tell time on an analog clock? Do you think they don't need to know how? Are you practicing it with your younger kids who are growing up with digital readouts in front of their faces all the time?

• Like 4

I taught all my kids, but my oldest dd does not understand when you say "it's 10 of 9". She does not know that that means it is 8:50. I don't know if they remember how to tell time on an analog clock because all of our clocks are digital, except for my watch. However, I just bought a wooden circle to make an analog clock for our family room.

Youngest dd wanted a new watch. I would only let her buy an analog one. She was excited to use her gift cert for it, but seems disappointed with it and wants a digital one.

• Like 1

The 6th grader can only because I made sure he could after this experience:  When he was taking pee wee swim lessons, I overheard the swim team coach, a couple of lanes, over ask his group of 9-10 y.o.s . to track time on the Big Ben like clock on the swim stadium. The coach was frustrated that the kids couldn't do it and I was very surprised.  

• Like 1

Yes, we have analog clocks throughout the house. Hubby just bought me an atomic one as well so keeps accurate time. It's important for everyone to be able to read analog clock because what happens when electricity goes out. Still works. Also majority of stores don't have digital clocks. Big Ben isn't digital. One important reason is teaching kids to count, being able to skip count by five, estimate time it takes to do something. A myriad of reasons and things that can't be done to a digital read out clock.

• Like 8

Yes, because both the clock at TKD (there 2-3 times a week), at the Y (there one day a week for swim&gym), and the clock at school (there 3x a week for Celery's therapies) are analog, so when they ask what time it is I tell them to go look at the clock themselves. Broccoli will still sometimes throw a "I can't tell" whine, but then if I tell him to try again he'll come up with the correct time. 

ETA: I also had the kids address some envelopes yesterday - you might want to check if your kids know how to do that - their TKD instructor mentioned a few years ago that he had to look up how to do that when he needed to mail some things (he was 25 at the time, iirc).

ETA2: forgot about the library. I have never seen a clock at a grocery store... surprised there are that many people mentioning them. Although, come to think of it, WKids (the daycare while you shop at Wegmans) has a clock. But never anywhere else. I think even the pharmacy at Target got rid of their clock. 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

DS7 - Yes, he can quickly and easily read an analog clock.

DS5 - Mostly.  He gets confused when it is 7:55 and that hour hand is already touching the 8.

DS3 - He can read the o'clocks.

DD1 - When asked to point to a clock, she strictly points at analog ones, never digital.

Of course I teach analog time.  Math Mammoth devotes a chapter to telling time pretty much every year, we own a Judy clock, my kids play the Squeebles time telling app, we have as many analog clocks (fully functional) around the house as we do digital clocks.

Wendy

• Like 2

I just asked my 15yo if she thought she could tell time quickly on an analog clock. She said, "what kind of clock is that?" :glare:

"The kind with hands."

"Oh, probably not quickly. I've not had enough practice. I mean I can do it if I think about it but not without counting by fives."

"Do you know what I mean if I say 10 to 8?"

Looks at me like I'm nuts.

"Um...yeah."

So there's that at least lol. Also they can count change :lol:

• Like 4

My older two knew in first or second grade. They are in college and still know how. I know this because they have both work in a facility that required following a schedule of changing activity every 30 or 45 minutes. The clocks there are analog.

Youngest has disabilities and this is not a skill I've worked on with.

• Like 1

It's important for everyone to be able to read analog clock because what happens when electricity goes out. 

I dunno... when the electricity goes out I look at my cellphone, or my laptop, or, potentially, the car (never had to resort to that, but it's there). 

(we have zero analog clocks in this house, though Celery has an analog watch that I need to find new batteries for - it was too big to fit him comfortably when he got it, but should fit now)

• Like 1

A friend of mine, who is a school teacher, asked what is the reason to still learn analog clock time. (The kids think it's unnecessary.)

The classrooms and auditoriums where SAT, ACT, AP exams are held still have only analog clocks on the wall. My kids don't like to wear watches so they read the wall clocks to pace themselves during exams.

• Like 2

There are lots of analog clocks in our world: at home, at the library, at the grocery store. I could go on... I don't think that our area is that different from other places, is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I don't think that's unusual; I think most public places have analog clocks on display and certainly most or all historic-type city clocks are analog, right? I think the young people, though, default to looking at a phone or other digital readout, rather than seek to read an analog clock if they are not practiced.

My youngest does not like for me to say, "quarter of four" or similar because he doesn't have that mental visual, I guess, of what that means. My 19yo just received (and asked for) for Christmas an analog wristwatch because she is prohibbitted from having her phone out in class. She said it did take her a while to get used to reading the time this way, but she's used to it now. Maybe I should get my son an analog wristwatch so he could practice throughout the day.

• Like 4

it about killed dudeling to learn analoge.  if he could pretend to not know how to read it, he would.  I know he does becasue he let it slip one day . . . I asked something about the time, when the only clock around was analoge and he told me without any hesitation.  :smilielol5:   he was really mad when he realized what he'd done.

eta: I wasn't sympathetic to 1ds and his resistance to learning how to drive a stick either.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

We did learn it when the kids were little, but one of the therapy places my son attends only has analog, and I realized not long ago that he doesn't remember how to read it. We don't have an analog clock in the house. I imagine I should refresh the knowledge for both kids.

• Like 1

My kids have learned and can do it, but there isn't s lot of opportunity to practice so they may lose the skill down the road without reinforcement. They're solid right now though.

DS7 and DS4 both have analog Batman watches. 

DS7 can tell time on an analog clock, and prefers to read the wall clocks (kitchen or living room) over the digital clocks (microwave or stove) in the house. We are working on 'ten til' and 'quarter past' usage. He's starting to get it.

DS5 can identify which hour, but hasn't learned to count by 5s so he can't tell the minutes yet. We will work on this over the spring/summer. I do say things like, "When the little hand is between the 11 & 12 and the big hand is pointing to the 6, it will be 11:30 and we will have lunch."

ETA: Several years back, before DS4 was born and I was still working, I found that almost all of my students (10th grade geometry) couldn't read an analog clock. I spent a lot of time standing on a chair, drawing on the clear plastic covering the clock with a dry erase marker that year.

Edited by Noreen Claire
  • Like 1

A few years ago I was confused when dd12 couldn't read an analog clock when I asked her to.  She could do the work in her math workbook, but was struggling to figure it out in real life.

It turns out that she needed glasses and couldn't see the clock across the room.  #momfail

• Like 3

I taught all my kids the analog clock through Saxon math. They've since mostly forgotten and are slow to count the minutes.

When, for example, we need to be in the car at 8am, and everybody knows its almost that time because we're rushing around brushing teeth and looking for shoes, and somebody yells out "What time is it?" and I yell out "Five of" they get angry because they have no clue what that means.

So then they yell "What time is it EXACTLY?" and I respond "It's EXACTLY five of!"  :lol:

• Like 4

Btw, this isn't a new problem. I just remembered that my brother (who just turned 30) would walk to the VCR player to look at the digital time when he was a young teen, instead of just glancing at the big clock on the wall (which had Roman numerals to boot - can your kids read an analog clock with Roman numerals? - mine can, since we just did a bunch of work on Roman numerals (and they can count by 5s)).

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

A friend of mine, who is a school teacher, asked what is the reason to still learn analog clock time. (The kids think it's unnecessary.) It was quite interesting the sheer volume of replies. I'm firmly on the side of kids learning to tell time on an analog clock, partly because this just makes a person more knowledgeable and grows the brain. However! After this conversation, I found that the four analog clocks I have in my house are, in fact, not displaying the correct time, and two of the four have been incorrect for at least a few years. Yes, years, including the analog clock hanging in the homeschool room!

So, I quiz my youngest child and, lo and behold, he can barely just tell time on an analog clock. He has forgotten the distinction between the "big hand" and the "small hand," and cannot immediately see, for example, 6:30 or 8:45. He has no practice at it. So, because I do not wish for him to have to take an Adulting Class when he's 20 to learn analog time 😉, we will be practicing telling time in analog every day. Also, I'm fixing all my incorrect clocks and getting them fresh batteries or whatever it is they require.

What do you think? Do your kids know how to tell time on an analog clock? Do you think they don't need to know how? Are you practicing it with your younger kids who are growing up with digital readouts in front of their faces all the time?

I taught mine. But it didn't stick really. My 17 year old will look past the analog clock and go out of his way to look at the digital clock on the stove.

At this point I have no more ideas so he will just have to take an adulting class.

• Like 1

Btw, this isn't a new problem. I just remembered that my brother (who just turned 30) would walk to the VCR player to look at the digital time when he was a young teen, instead of just glancing at the big clock on the wall (which had Roman numerals to boot - can your kids read an analog clock with Roman numerals? - mine can, since we just did a bunch of work on Roman numerals (and they can count by 5s)).

Yes, my kids can read Roman Numerals, and the mantle clock in the family room has Roman Numerals. But it is worth it to practice, along with my other analog practice.

• Like 1

Yes. When our kids learn clocks, they earn their very first watch and I make sure it's analog. They also have to watch for their own break slot on the school clock, which is analog. :P

Oh I forgot about the analog watch had for about 5 years. Yeah, he still looks for the digital clock. I think I will quiz him when he gets home and see if he can tell time.

• Like 1

My kids haven't been phased by Roman numeral clocks.  Really, once you know where the numbers are on a clock, it doesn't matter how those numbers are written...or if they are left off completely.

Wendy 

• Like 3

Mine know the concept and the oldest can because we have analog clocks in the house. Also we use Singapore standards. I think in terms of usefulness 24 hour time is pretty important.

I know it's crazy but as someone who struggles with time management I find it easier to visualise time on an analog clock. Is that weird?

• Like 1

The only clock in the living room is analog.  It's in their math.  Otherwise, my response to "What time is it?" is to point to the wall clock and say, "You tell me."  8.5 times out of 10 anyway.  DD is reliable with it, middle is getting it pretty quickly, youngest doesn't care what time it is unless there's fun stuff attached to it.  ;)

I dunno... when the electricity goes out I look at my cellphone, or my laptop, or, potentially, the car (never had to resort to that, but it's there).

(we have zero analog clocks in this house, though Celery has an analog watch that I need to find new batteries for - it was too big to fit him comfortably when he got it, but should fit now)

Well yeah, but they have batteries which die after a while without electricity to charge them. 😄

• Like 1

I make my kids learn and practice writing in cursive, too.

Ditto. They all have beautiful cursive so far, even the six year old boy. Print caused all sorts of messiness, case size issues, reversals, etc.

There are lots of analog clocks in our world: at home, at the library, at the grocery store. I could go on... I don't think that our area is that different from other places, is it?

All the public schools in our district have analogue clocks. They put digital in one new building and they didnt last long so they went back. I find many kids know the halves and the quarters in addition to pertinent times of the school day, but struggle after that and are more apt to look for a digital device for the time in those cases.

• Like 1

My 14yo corrected my clock reading the other night, so I think it stuck with my oldest 3, despite their phone clock reliance.  (It was a distance issue, I swear!)

I taught my 9yo, but I think he still has issues with anything beyond the 15 minute marks.  I'll have to check in.

I haven't really worked on it with my 6yo, so this is a good reminder.

• Like 1

This is my thought too, I can't imagine not being able to read one, they are all over the place.

My girls can read them, my 7 year old and the baby can't.

• Like 1

FWIW I have never heard anyone here say "10 of 9" or use that format, even elderly people. You get half-past, quarter-to, 10 after, and so on.

It is common here. What is the difference between saying 10 after and 10 of? (I know there's time difference, but if they say 10 after instead of 8:10, why not 10 of instead of 8:50? Seems inconsistent.)

FWIW I have never heard anyone here say "10 of 9" or use that format, even elderly people. You get half-past, quarter-to, 10 after, and so on.

It's very common phrasing here, in the mid-Atlantic, but generally with older people. It does mean the same thing as "ten till nine."

• Like 1