Menu

Snacks in church...

PeterPan

How about a nice, non-controversial topic! Or is this controversial? My ds8 has autism, and I am trying to take a little, discreet snack for him to eat between the services, sort of as a motivator and just to keep him energized and on-track. I did have little bags of graham crackers (Nemo!) left over from our trip to Disney, and now those are gone. Last week we took a granola bar, and wow what a terrible mess!

He has a palatal expander, so it can't be like really sticky or crunchy crunchy. And he's kind of finicky about flavors, so it can't be fruit-flavored. Like if it's normal to kids, he doesn't seem to like it. 

I thought about little bags of grapes. I don't know, what do y'all take? Nothing? Is this a totally tacky kind of thing? I'm trying to be discreet, but we have enough behavior challenges without getting really uppity about can't have snacks in church, kwim? Like we're just at basics like be here, talk, have a good attitude, go to the class, etc.

I thought about making cookies, but those would make crumbs again. The little packs of graham crackers were just perfect. It's just we're waiting for the Mythbusters finale episode to start at 9. I guess we could run to the store between now and then, lol.

Any suggestions? 

• Like 1

I'd take anything he'll enjoy. If he drops a grape, just be careful to pick it up because they're slippery.

Is there a supermarket on the way to church? Go 10 minutes early and let him pick if he can do that without getting overwhelmed. Or you can decide in the car and run in by yourself.

• Like 5

I clean our church each week after services.  :-)   I have found:  Crumbs, lots of crumbs.  Raisins.  Peanuts, sometimes mixed with raisins.  (So, trail mix?)  Gummies.  Gum wrappers.  Lollipop sticks.  

My suggestion is:  whatever it takes.  :-)    Most things vacuum up easily.  Raisins and gummies, stepped on, not so much.  

• Like 10

Gold fish crackers? Mini cookies?

My go-to little kid church snacks are fruit snacks because they aren't crunchy and the kids love them, but if he doesn't like fruity flavors that won't help!

I've seen people at church giving their kids goldfish, whole bananas, dry cereal, and the fruit snacks like we do. And no, I don't think it's weird to give your kid a snack! The services can be long, especially for little kids! Hungry kids aren't happy kids, in my experience!

Hope you can find something!

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan of snacks in church, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.  Just go for something easy to vacuum up.  When our kids were little, we had to go to a certain mass that didn't mess up one kid's nap time, but made it difficult to get a decent breakfast in for the other kid.  So, we had some unobtrusive snacks in order to prevent meltdowns.  Oh, and there was a period where my oldest would make a big scene because he wanted communion so I would sneak him a round cracker as we left the communion line. 

• Like 2

I remember a time I ate a cheese stick in church.  I was pregnant, and eating protein regularly stabilized my stomach.  Also, I was the pianist, so I was close to the front.  Anyway, the pastor looked at me snacking during the sermon, looked startled, tipped his head to one side, and then shrugged and went on with his thought! 

Cheese sticks might be perfect.

• Like 6

When mine were little we took Cheerios and Goldfish.

Now I almost always put a cheese stick in my purse as we leave. Our church has a "coffee time," but I'm on a low carb and low gluten diet. Needless to say, sometimes there nothing for me to eat with my tea.

• Like 3

I've done cheerios, goldfish, fruit snacks, graham crackers, monzerella sticks,  . . . he *might* have eaten some ,but the novelty wore off.  he's trained others to bring him candy - they're really happy to do it.  they're the doting grandparent type.  when it was three mini-reeses, that was fine.  but there is one bringing him a full size snickers ...

• Like 1

How about a nice, non-controversial topic! Or is this controversial? My ds8 has autism, and I am trying to take a little, discreet snack for him to eat between the services, sort of as a motivator and just to keep him energized and on-track. I did have little bags of graham crackers (Nemo!) left over from our trip to Disney, and now those are gone. Last week we took a granola bar, and wow what a terrible mess!

He has a palatal expander, so it can't be like really sticky or crunchy crunchy. And he's kind of finicky about flavors, so it can't be fruit-flavored. Like if it's normal to kids, he doesn't seem to like it.

I thought about little bags of grapes. I don't know, what do y'all take? Nothing? Is this a totally tacky kind of thing? I'm trying to be discreet, but we have enough behavior challenges without getting really uppity about can't have snacks in church, kwim? Like we're just at basics like be here, talk, have a good attitude, go to the class, etc.

I thought about making cookies, but those would make crumbs again. The little packs of graham crackers were just perfect. It's just we're waiting for the Mythbusters finale episode to start at 9. I guess we could run to the store between now and then, lol.

Any suggestions?

When my son was less than 2 I let him have a ziplock bag of Cheerios.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what you mean by "in between the services." Does that mean a break, a kind of intermission? If so, could he walk outside to eat his snack? That would give him a wiggle break also. 

Honestly, I can't imagine snacking in church, but I'm Catholic and there is only one hour-long service. 

Snacks at church are highly controversial in my circle--even though we have three hours of meetings. Most of the upset has been about the mess left behind, though occasionally the upset has been about allergy contamination. As the parent of a child who had an allergic reaction thanks to some pb&j residue (a finger swipe on the bench) I do agree with some of the argument.

Personally, I think ideal if you don't snack at all in church, but if you must, head to the kitchen facilities.

• Like 1

Snacks at church are highly controversial in my circle--even though we have three hours of meetings. Most of the upset has been about the mess left behind, though occasionally the upset has been about allergy contamination. As the parent of a child who had an allergic reaction thanks to some pb&j residue (a finger swipe on the bench) I do agree with some of the argument.

Personally, I think ideal if you don't snack at all in church, but if you must, head to the kitchen facilities.

In my parent's LDS congregation in Sweden everyone took a break between meetings and had a snack--actually more of a small lunch for the kids. There was a strong feeling that children especially shouldn't be expected to go three hours without eating. Edited by maize
  • Like 2

For my disabled dd who has had times in her life where there was lots of growling and unhappiness, cheddar cheese sticks are a miracle worker. No problem at all in our small church that has no child care. It's a great behavior management tool for us. She does fine now with just a church service, but if we stay for Sunday school I try to remember to bring some cheese for her (Sunday school is at her usual nap time).

• Like 1