Menu

Youth Hostels in the US (in general, but also WA DC, NYC in particular)

marbel

For a while now I've wanted to put my kids on the train to WA DC for the day.   It's been a while since we all went to DC and I'd like them to experience/practice using public transportation.  

Lately I've added in the idea of having them stay overnight in a  youth hostel.  

I've had limited experience with hosteling.  (Like, one in the US at a national park, and one in Europe while on a group walking tour, both as an adult.)  I've looked around online a bit and see there are hostels in cities in the US.  The impression I've gotten so far (with limited research) is that they are not really all that cheap compared to hotels, considering you're sharing room and bath with strangers. But maybe cheap for the areas they are in.

Anyway, has anyone got any experience, wisdom, knowledge to share with me?  Safety, cleanliness, bedbugs are all concerns I have.

My kids as a pair are well-suited to this sort of adventure.  My older is cautious and always aware of his surroundings.  But he is the one with slow processing speed and gets overwhelmed looking at things like train schedules - particularly if it has to be done quickly - and would have a hard time figuring out which train to take and when.   My younger is adventurous, quick, and would be able to figure all that stuff out easily.  They also get along well, and even better when parents aren't around.   They are both legal adults so parental permission for anything wouldn't be an issue.

Stories, experiences, cautions, recommendations?

So, I googled and this hostel came up with good reviews on Google http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/downtown-washington-hostel.html?aid=356929;label=metagha-link-localuniversalUS-hotel-1036143_dev-desktop_los-1_bw-15_dow-Sunday_room-0_lang-en_curr-USD;sid=974c600cf242a2803b6bcde555be3415;checkin=2017-03-12;checkout=2017-03-13;ucfs=1;highlighted_blocks=103614305_88757270_1_0_0;all_sr_blocks=103614305_88757270_1_0_0%2C103614305_88757270_1_0_0;room1=A%2CA;hpos=1;dest_type=city;dest_id=20021296;srfid=83af2915050b37e1dbcfcc31018803f6237ad023X1;from=searchresults

as did this one:

HI Washington DC Hostel

1009 11th St NW, Washington, DC 20001

Back when I lived there, I would have chosen the NW one based on location/what i know....but things have changed, so I'd wait for others to chime in who've lived in DC more recently. :)

• Like 1

Re: train schedules. You don't mean paper schedules, do you? Smartphone is so much easier. If you use Google Maps you don't even need to plan ahead.

I'm talking about being in a train station and having to find the number of the train, and the track it's on, and getting to the right place at the right time.  :-)

I'm talking about being in a train station and having to find the number of the train, and the track it's on, and getting to the right place at the right time. :-)

Ah, gotcha. That's good because I think I'd lose my mind if I had to use the schedules up on the wall lol

• Like 1

Yes, I saw some reviews on google and on tripadvisor. Am hoping for more personal review from people I "know" - as well as I "know" any of you! :-) kwim?

Two of my kids have done the hostel thing, but only in California. It was an okay experience, if I remember. They didn't mention feeling unsafe, but none of the hostels are luxurious. Is your oldest over 18? Have you looked into possible age restrictions? What do your kids think about staying overnight? I think they would learn more by doing their own research and planning if they are invested in the trip. I know you may think differently, but it's something to consider.

ETA: I missed that they are both at least 18. In that case, I'd definitely encourage them to take ownership of the planning and step back into a mentorship role.

Edited by Barb_
  • Like 1

Two of my kids have done the hostel thing, but only in California. It was an okay experience, if I remember. They didn't mention feeling unsafe, but none of the hostels are luxurious. Is your oldest over 18? Have you looked into possible age restrictions? What do your kids think about staying overnight? I think they would learn more by doing their own research and planning if they are invested in the trip. I know you may think differently, but it's something to consider.

ETA: I missed that they are both at least 18. In that case, I'd definitely encourage them to take ownership of the planning and step back into a mentorship role.

Yes.  I was unclear (trying to be brief).

It is something we had originally talked about as a day trip (long day but doable from Phila.)  I started thinking about hostels and wanted to do a little pre-research on my own before putting the idea out there. Because if it turned out I was completely uncomfortable with the idea, I wasn't going to bring it up.  (If they came up with it on their own, that would be different, because they are legally adults.)  Of course if they would prefer not to spend the night, that'd be fine too. 

The older is hesitant in new situations, social skills are not great, and the processing speed and other LDs are a bit concerning.  That's the boy.  The girl might be inclined toward a bit reckless at times, but he would keep her from doing anything too crazy.  But I don't want to suggest a situation that may be better suited to people over 21, people who are more savvy with regard to city life, etc.  (We don't live in Philadelphia, but in the suburbs.) They have gone to the city on the train several times. 

Yes. I was unclear (trying to be brief).

It is something we had originally talked about as a day trip (long day but doable from Phila.) I started thinking about hostels and wanted to do a little pre-research on my own before putting the idea out there. Because if it turned out I was completely uncomfortable with the idea, I wasn't going to bring it up. (If they came up with it on their own, that would be different, because they are legally adults.) Of course if they would prefer not to spend the night, that'd be fine too.

The older is hesitant in new situations, social skills are not great, and the processing speed and other LDs are a bit concerning. That's the boy. The girl might be inclined toward a bit reckless at times, but he would keep her from doing anything too crazy. But I don't want to suggest a situation that may be better suited to people over 21, people who are more savvy with regard to city life, etc. (We don't live in Philadelphia, but in the suburbs.) They have gone to the city on the train several times.

My girls have felt comfortable as young as 19-20 as long as they are in groups, but your kids may have a completely different experience given the challenges you've detailed. What if they take a few day trips into New York/DC and tour the hostels ahead of time to get the hang of the trains and see the accommodations first hand? We used to live exactly where you are. I think if I still lived there, that's how I'd handle it with my 17-20yo girls.

• Like 1

My girls have felt comfortable as young as 19-20 as long as they are in groups, but your kids may have a completely different experience given the challenges you've detailed. What if they take a few day trips into New York/DC and tour the hostels ahead of time to get the hang of the trains and see the accommodations first hand? We used to live exactly where you are. I think if I still lived there, that's how I'd handle it with my 17-20yo girls.

Now that is a very good idea, and one that I had not thought of.  Day trips with visits to hostels on their itinerary. I think that could work out quite well.  Thanks!

• Like 1

I'm talking about being in a train station and having to find the number of the train, and the track it's on, and getting to the right place at the right time. :-)

DC trains are sooooo easy. You have color coded tracks. You look at the station at each end of your track and head in the direction of that station. No times. No numbers. Super easy.

• Like 1