Menu

Just bought my first pair of leggings since the '80s.

Miss Peregrine

I don't get it. I hate tight clothing. Leggings make me cringe because I hate anything that fits like skin. Give me loose flowing clothes!

The best ones are snug but not tight. More room in the hips and seat and no bagging at the knees and calfs. They sit at your waist without pinching. They move with you and no extra fabric to get caught in doors or stove burners. Worn under a tunic or dress they're warmer than tights and sleeker and Moreno pulled together than pants and a top. Love them :)

• Like 3

I know!  I actually kept all my leggings from the 80s.  I knew they would come back in style, and I thought I'd save myself money by just saving them.

Hahahaha!  

Modern leggings are NOTHING like those were.  I have some from Sahali (fleece) and some from Kohl's (Sonoma).  They're heavenly.  They feel like wearing air.  Not tight at all because they're so stretchy.  Soft and comfy, like PJs.  

Besides, my legs are my "best part".  I like that I can look cute by wearing a loose dress or tunic with leggings and boots.  Hooray!  It was the best thing about the 80s, and it's back, only better!

• Like 4

Delicate and somewhat embarrassing question to ask, but... do they slide down your bottom easily? I have a couple pair of leggings but I can't wear them for more than a minute --whenever I move they slide down in back :P I have more than one pair and all of them do the same thing. 

Delicate and somewhat embarrassing question to ask, but... do they slide down your bottom easily? I have a couple pair of leggings but I can't wear them for more than a minute --whenever I move they slide down in back :P I have more than one pair and all of them do the same thing.

No. Maybe you need a smaller size?

I didn't see a smaller size (this isn't a Costco brand; but the brands I have run s/m sizes, and I got the s/m -- which was the smallest they had).

Maybe I just need a different branding with different sizing. I really, really want a pair of leggings I can actually wear :P

I didn't see a smaller size (this isn't a Costco brand; but the brands I have run s/m sizes, and I got the s/m -- which was the smallest they had).

Maybe I just need a different branding with different sizing. I really, really want a pair of leggings I can actually wear :p

Try the ones sold in JCP.   Sold in xs-xl and fit well (mixit brand). 

Edited by itsheresomewhere

What do you wear with them? I look at my shirts and think none of them are appropriate for leggings. Where do you shop for "legging shirts?" Then, what shoes do I wear? Socks or no? And what about pockets? I need my pockets because I don't carry a purse. I think leggings could be the perfect maternity wear if I could figure those details out. 

• Like 1

Delicate and somewhat embarrassing question to ask, but... do they slide down your bottom easily? I have a couple pair of leggings but I can't wear them for more than a minute --whenever I move they slide down in back :p I have more than one pair and all of them do the same thing. 

I've got lots to hold it up.  :lol:

I really like the sweater-legging-boot look but I'm 5'1. Not sure if I can pull it off.

I'll bet you could. Two of my girls are 5'1 and regular sweaters come down pretty long on them. They just need to have a sort of looser bottom hem or they grab you in an awkward place lol

Delicate and somewhat embarrassing question to ask, but... do they slide down your bottom easily? I have a couple pair of leggings but I can't wear them for more than a minute --whenever I move they slide down in back :p I have more than one pair and all of them do the same thing. 

I was actually going to suggest maybe you need a larger size, so that it's not pulling down so hard when you bend.  Either that, or find a brand that has a taller rise (fits higher at the waist), so that if it does pull a little, it won't go too far.

What do you wear with them? I look at my shirts and think none of them are appropriate for leggings. Where do you shop for "legging shirts?" Then, what shoes do I wear? Socks or no? And what about pockets? I need my pockets because I don't carry a purse. I think leggings could be the perfect maternity wear if I could figure those details out. 

I wear either short dresses or tunics.  I like shawl type, flowy tops, but I also have a couple jersey knit short dresses similar to those someone posted above.  Since you don't carry a purse, you'd need to find tops with pockets, since any pocket in leggings would be tiny.  None of my leggings have pockets, but they make jean styled leggings (called Jeggings) that do.  I don't know how functional they would be.  Also, Jegging fabric is generally thicker than regular leggings, so they might not be as comfortable (depending on your shape).  

I never, ever, ever thought I would wear leggings outside of PJs until last year.  I am short, but not small.  Last year I discovered the right leggings (on Amazon) super light & stretchy, like wearing nothing but warmer.   I wear with a T-shirt type dress from Old Navy with flats or Tom's type of sneakers.  The most comfortable outfit ever.  Old Navy leggings slide down my bum.  The waist is too big and not elastic enough.  My big girls sometimes comment that I used to dress them in the same outfit when they were toddlers, but I don't care :)  I do have to say that because I am super short waisted that most leggings come up under my bra.  I like to think of it them as smoothing shape wear as well.

Amber in SJ

• Like 2

I've found the cheap ones do slide down.  And the cheap ones have 1-4% lycra.  The pricier ones have 8% or more, so they fit no matter what.  I bought lots of leggings a few years ago because when we lived in the South I found I could wear sundresses all year round by layering sweaters, leggings, and tall boots.  But all the leggings slipped, so I stopped that.  Then I was given some LuLaRoe for Christmas, and they are life-changing.  I ordered a couple of pars of competing brands that are similar in quality, but none of them were as good IMO.

I suggest starting with a few long tank tops or shirt extenders that coordinate with your favorite current clothing (the same thing, but the bottom generally has lace as an extra detail).  I've bought them at Maurices (pretty ones with gorgeous lace), I've bought them on Amazon, and I've bought them in thrift stores.  For me they need to be long enough to cover my bits.  That way you can layer the tanks with all of your existing wardrobe and give leggings a try without spending hundreds of dollars.  Other women prefer their thighs to be covered so they wear them with tunics or dresses.

I'm more hourglass shaped, so I find most tunics (especially loose ones) to be unflattering on me.  As in I better wear the correct bra or people will ask me when I'm due.  If you decide to get into one of the brands like LuLaRoe, see if anyone in your area that sells it will let you come over and try things on.  I promise that even if you're an excellent shopper, you will not be able to predict which of their styles or which sizes will look good on you without trying them on first.  The fabrics are too loose and stretchy, and the waists tend to be too high on those styles with a defined waist.  It doesn't mean you can't wear whatever you want, but it does mean that for some styles you'll want to size way up and in others way down.

I've bought tunics on Amazon and in thrift stores (I couldn't find any I liked in the mall), and some through LuLaRoe.  I will say the Lula ones are infinitely more flattering, BUT, and I do mean but, the prints can get so crazy and the styles so oversized that sometimes the overall effect isn't particularly flattering.  Just beware of that. People tend to fall so in love with Lula the minute they put it on they start to value things other than style - like comfort and whimsy.  And that's fine, but if you're going to revamp your wardrobe with an eye to look more chic, try to avoid whimsy. Go with solids and abstract prints in colors that look good on you.

What about shoes?   Would short boots work or no?  

Anne

I have a pair of Palladium boots that I wear with my leggings. The link is men's boots, but the style is the same. I have pretty muscular legs, so the heavier shoe works better for me. I wear these on days I want to be fairly casual. 

I am long waisted and curvy, so I sometimes have issues finding tops long enough. Some of mine are tall sizes. I also have a few Old Navy dresses that are above the knee that I wear with leggings as well. 

I am a recent Lularoe convert.  I had to find something that was comfortable to wear out with my family that didn't just involve hoodies and sweat pants.  For me, this has been the answer.  Some of the prints are hideous but I had added some really beautiful color to my wardrobe and I am loving it.  I can be comfortable but not look like a ragamuffin all of the time.  I wear the leggings with dresses or some of the shirts that I have also purchased from LLR.   My best friend is also now a consultant, so I help her out too.  I have worn mine with sneakers, low boots, knee boots, flip flops and sandals.