Menu

Retin-A, Gycolic peel, Vitamin C Serum: How do you juggle multiple anti-aging products?

IfIOnly

I'm trying to figure out what strengths to start at and how to combine these products. I still have a lot of research to do, but so far I've gathered (please correct me if I'm wrong):

Retin-A - Start with .025 percent, move to .05 percent, then go to .1 percent. Is there anything higher than .1 percent? Goal is nightly use, but may take a while for skin to handle that. The cheapest I've found is this place and product: https://www.alldaychemist.com/womens-day/retino-a-cream-025.html  Any other recommended sources?

Vitamin C serum- use during the day after washing face. Maybe not until using retin-a for some time and skin is adjusted to that? Might go with this serum: http://www.cleopatraschoice.com/gpr-0030.html?utm_source=gpr-0030&utm_medium=shopping%2Bengine&utm_campaign=google&gclid=CKiU4er1qdICFUqVfgodEiMIDw

Gycolic peel- not sure how often to use this in conjunction with retin-a or what strength to start with. I have read that for light at home peels it's okay to use retin-a up until the night before, but to not use retin-a again until after all the redness and irritation is gone from the peel. I'm seeing lots of quality products at low prices on the web.

Hyaluronic Acid- morning and night. I'm thinking about this product: http://www.cleopatraschoice.com/gpr-0034.html

What anti-aging products and brands do you use?

What is your application routine?

Tips and advice? 

Thank you!  wub.png

You might want to check out Caroline Hirons on YouTube or on her blog. She describes a daily regimen, both evening and night.

I would add links but I'm on my phone.

This looks like her cheat sheet: http://www.carolinehirons.com/2013/06/routines-cheat-sheet.html

I didn't recognize a lot of her recommendations and will have to figure out what she's talking about. Lol.

Thank you!

• Like 1

This looks like her cheat sheet: http://www.carolinehirons.com/2013/06/routines-cheat-sheet.html

I didn't recognize a lot of her recommendations and will have to figure out what she's talking about. Lol.

Thank you!

That is the cheat sheet. She is English but most of the products she recommends can be bought here. They are often expensive but she does recommend some cheaper ones. I just thought the routine cheat sheet might help. She has been in the skincare/make-up industry for years and knows more than most YouTube bloggers.

I prefer using a glycolic acid daily and then using retinol products at night. The Pixi toner she recommends is good and you can buy it at Target or on Amazon.

ETA: I also like that she is closer to my age and knows what it is like to have 40yo old skin.

Edited by MaeFlowers
  • Like 1

With regards to the Retin-A, I'm reading to start with an application every three days. When that's tolerated, go to every two days, then nightly.  When it's tolerated nightly, move up to the next strength and start with the 3 day rotation again. Some people apparently can't do every night though and can only do 3 times a week or weekday with weekends off. So it's a bit of a process figuring out what works for you. How often can you who use Retin-A use it?

I'm thinking of starting the vitamin C serum in the mornings and Retin A in the evening along with the hyaluronic acid for moisture day and night.  Then when I'm up to the 1% Retin-A dose nightly with no problem, I'll look into adding the glycolic acid.  Although I read something that suggested retin-a first, then add in glycolic acid, then add in vitamin C.  Hmmm. Lots of opinions out there.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

My Mon-Wed-Fri night routine is:

cleanser

antioxidant/soothing serum

prescription retinoid gel

moisturizer

My Tue-Thu-Sat-Sun night routine is:

cleanser

exfoliant (currently salicylic acid, but sometimes I use glycolic acid)

moisturizer

My morning routine everyday is:

cleanser

moisturizer with sunscreen

makeup with more sunscreen (I'm very fair skinned, and I live in a high-altitude desert, so I'm a little paranoid about sun exposure!)

You might find this helpful:  http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/skin-care-basics/_/how-to-put-together-a-skin-care-routine

Or this:  http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/skin-care-basics/_/5-minute-skincare

• Like 1

cleanser

moisturizer

cleanser

moisturizer

cleanser

makeup with more sunscreen (I'm very fair skinned, and I live in a high-altitude desert, so I'm a little paranoid about sun exposure!)

You might find this helpful:  http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/skin-care-basics/_/how-to-put-together-a-skin-care-routine

Or this:  http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/skin-care-basics/_/5-minute-skincare

Great to see your routine. Thank you!  May I ask what percent of exfoliant you use? Do you use a toner or a peel like product that has to be washed off soon after application?  I'm really curious about your antioxidant/soothing serum too.  Sounds really nice. Would that be similar to hyaluronic acid? Sorry to pester you with questions!

• Like 1

Great to see your routine. Thank you!  May I ask what percent of exfoliant you use? Do you use a toner or a peel like product that has to be washed off soon after application?  I'm really curious about your antioxidant/soothing serum too.  Sounds really nice. Would that be similar to hyaluronic acid? Sorry to pester you with questions!

You're not pestering at all!  I find this kind of stuff fun to talk about anyway.   :001_smile:  I really appreciate quality skin care products, but I may as well confess up front that I'm kind of cheap, and I'm also kind of lazy.  So my product choices reflect that!  I don't use toner, because I just don't find them to be worth the price and the hassle.  I don't really feel like they do much of anything.  Maybe I'm really missing out, I don't know!  I don't really bother with peels or masks for the same reason.  I prefer a pretty basic/simple routine.

For my exfoliant, I use either a 2% BHA (salicylic) or a 10% AHA (glycolic).  To save money (I warned you, I'm cheap!) I buy Paula's Choice body care products, but I use them on my face.  You get a bigger volume of product for the price, and it's still fragrance-free and good quality (though it probably doesn't have as many beneficial ingredients as the ones for face, I'm not sure.)

My favorite antioxidant/soothing serum is this one, again Paula's Choice.  I love this stuff - it feels like liquid silk!  But because of the price I don't always use it.  Right now, I'm using Dr. Carver's Miracle Repair Serum, because it's a great deal cheaper.  $12 for 2 ounces, if I remember correctly.  But I can't seem to get their website to come up at the moment (it's from Dollar Shave Club).  It is mostly hyaluronic acid, but it also has some antioxidants like white tea and blueberry extract and such.  And it's fragrance-free (I'm a stickler for that.)  Right now, I have a free sample of Paula's Vitamin C serum which I got with a purchase, so I'm also adding a drop of that to it each time as well.

• Like 2

I highly recommend Angie on Hot and Flashy (youtube).  Lots of great advice about retin A, serums, frequency, etc.  I ordered from alldaychemist, and immediately after, my email was overwhelmed with spam.  I'm sure they sold my email address.  If you do order, create a new email that you don't mind dumping afterwards.  Now I get my retin a at Sams.  It costs around $70, but it lasts me at least 6 months ( and I feel better about it being made in the USA).  Sams now sells the gel form of retin a at a very reasonable price without a prescription - differin gel I think is what it's called.  

I like the serums at Timeless skin care - free shipping, made to order, and $5.00 discount if you use coupon code from hot and flashy website.  I have also seen a difference in my skin after using collagen peptide supplement I buy on Amazon   https://www.amazon.com/Vital-Proteins-Pasture-Raised-Grass-Fed-Collagen/dp/B00K6JUG4K/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1487987152&sr=1-4&keywords=collagen%2Bpeptides&th=1  

I mix a scoop in my Greek yogurt every morning.  

• Like 1

You're not pestering at all! I find this kind of stuff fun to talk about anyway. :001_smile: I really appreciate quality skin care products, but I may as well confess up front that I'm kind of cheap, and I'm also kind of lazy. So my product choices reflect that! I don't use toner, because I just don't find them to be worth the price and the hassle. I don't really feel like they do much of anything. Maybe I'm really missing out, I don't know! I don't really bother with peels or masks for the same reason. I prefer a pretty basic/simple routine.

For my exfoliant, I use either a 2% BHA (salicylic) or a 10% AHA (glycolic). To save money (I warned you, I'm cheap!) I buy Paula's Choice body care products, but I use them on my face. You get a bigger volume of product for the price, and it's still fragrance-free and good quality (though it probably doesn't have as many beneficial ingredients as the ones for face, I'm not sure.)

My favorite antioxidant/soothing serum is this one, again Paula's Choice. I love this stuff - it feels like liquid silk! But because of the price I don't always use it. Right now, I'm using Dr. Carver's Miracle Repair Serum, because it's a great deal cheaper. $12 for 2 ounces, if I remember correctly. But I can't seem to get their website to come up at the moment (it's from Dollar Shave Club). It is mostly hyaluronic acid, but it also has some antioxidants like white tea and blueberry extract and such. And it's fragrance-free (I'm a stickler for that.) Right now, I have a free sample of Paula's Vitamin C serum which I got with a purchase, so I'm also adding a drop of that to it each time as well.

Yes, it is fun. I'm enjoying learning from you all. Thank you for sharing all of that good info. and your tips to help keep costs down, Greta!

• Like 1

I highly recommend Angie on Hot and Flashy (youtube). Lots of great advice about retin A, serums, frequency, etc. I ordered from alldaychemist, and immediately after, my email was overwhelmed with spam. I'm sure they sold my email address. If you do order, create a new email that you don't mind dumping afterwards. Now I get my retin a at Sams. It costs around $70, but it lasts me at least 6 months ( and I feel better about it being made in the USA). Sams now sells the gel form of retin a at a very reasonable price without a prescription - differin gel I think is what it's called.

I like the serums at Timeless skin care - free shipping, made to order, and $5.00 discount if you use coupon code from hot and flashy website. I have also seen a difference in my skin after using collagen peptide supplement I buy on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Vital-Proteins-Pasture-Raised-Grass-Fed-Collagen/dp/B00K6JUG4K/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1487987152&sr=1-4&keywords=collagen%2Bpeptides&th=1

I mix a scoop in my Greek yogurt every morning.

Oh, thank you for the spam heads up. I will def. open up a dummy email account. We don't have a Sam's here, but I wonder if Costco carries any Retin-A products.

I looked up Angie and found a great blog post from her with tips and before and after pics of her using Retin-A for 3 years: http://www.hotandflashy50.com/retin-a-for-wrinkles-3-year-results-before-after/

I handle them by not using them! LOL

Most of them have ingredients I don't want going straight into my blood stream anyway, which it does when you put it on your skin, the largest organ you have.

A lot of these type of products are loaded with chemicals and junk. The Vitamin C serum, gycolic acid, and hyaluronic acid are safe and can be found in pure formulas. Retin-A can be found without a bunch of junk but it's safety is debatable. I wouldn't touch it if I was considering conception/pregnancy, for sure. Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 2

So much will depend on your skin's sensitivity. Your goal is to produce just enough exfoliation without tipping the scales so far as to cause irritation. If your skin gets dry/irritated back off & simplify. I use Vitamin C, alpha hydroxy acids (AHA), and beta hydroxy acids (BHA) and Retin-A every night.

Your insurance may cover Retin-A. I have a .25â„… Retin-A/antibiotic prescription that my insurance covers. I spent about six months at the .25% and then went up to 1%. I use it nightly unless I experience drying, then I drop down to the .25 until the flakiness subsides.

I use Timeless for my serums including my Vitamin C serum.

Make sure your using a good broad spectrum sunscreen every day.

• Like 2

I highly recommend Angie on Hot and Flashy (youtube).  Lots of great advice about retin A, serums, frequency, etc.  I ordered from alldaychemist, and immediately after, my email was overwhelmed with spam.  I'm sure they sold my email address.  If you do order, create a new email that you don't mind dumping afterwards.  Now I get my retin a at Sams.  It costs around $70, but it lasts me at least 6 months ( and I feel better about it being made in the USA).  Sams now sells the gel form of retin a at a very reasonable price without a prescription - differin gel I think is what it's called.  

I love Angie! OP, you should definitely check out her videos. She recently did a video about Retin A, including before & after pictures from 3 years ago to today. She looks absolutely amazing for her age (53).

(ETA: I should have kept reading — I see you already found that video!)

Differin is available at Target & Amazon, too (I think it's ~ $12-15/tube), but it isn't tretinoin (Retin A), it's adapalene, which is a different retinoid. It's especially useful for acne because it helps unclog pores, and it can also be combined with benzoyl peroxide (unlike tretinoin).

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 2

A lot of these type of products are loaded with chemicals and junk. The Vitamin C serum, gycolic acid, and hyaluronic acid are safe and can be found in pure formulas. Retin-A can be found without a bunch of junk but it's safety is debatable. I wouldn't touch it if I was considering conception/pregnancy, for sure.

If you ever have any concern about the safety of a particular ingredient, this ingredient dictionary is great:  http://www.paulaschoice.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/

And I agree with you, those ingredients you mentioned are not only safe, they have proven benefits.

• Like 1

You're not pestering at all!  I find this kind of stuff fun to talk about anyway.   :001_smile:  I really appreciate quality skin care products, but I may as well confess up front that I'm kind of cheap, and I'm also kind of lazy.  So my product choices reflect that!  I don't use toner, because I just don't find them to be worth the price and the hassle.  I don't really feel like they do much of anything.  Maybe I'm really missing out, I don't know!  I don't really bother with peels or masks for the same reason.  I prefer a pretty basic/simple routine.

For my exfoliant, I use either a 2% BHA (salicylic) or a 10% AHA (glycolic).  To save money (I warned you, I'm cheap!) I buy Paula's Choice body care products, but I use them on my face.  You get a bigger volume of product for the price, and it's still fragrance-free and good quality (though it probably doesn't have as many beneficial ingredients as the ones for face, I'm not sure.)

My favorite antioxidant/soothing serum is this one, again Paula's Choice.  I love this stuff - it feels like liquid silk!  But because of the price I don't always use it.  Right now, I'm using Dr. Carver's Miracle Repair Serum, because it's a great deal cheaper.  $12 for 2 ounces, if I remember correctly.  But I can't seem to get their website to come up at the moment (it's from Dollar Shave Club).  It is mostly hyaluronic acid, but it also has some antioxidants like white tea and blueberry extract and such.  And it's fragrance-free (I'm a stickler for that.)  Right now, I have a free sample of Paula's Vitamin C serum which I got with a purchase, so I'm also adding a drop of that to it each time as well.

I forgot to add that I tried PC's Resist 2% BHA several months ago and broke out in painful cystic acne. I took a break and tried again and the same thing happened. I was so bummed about that!  

• Like 1

So much will depend on your skin's sensitivity. Your goal is to produce just enough exfoliation without tipping the scales so far as to cause irritation. If your skin gets dry/irritated back off & simplify. I use Vitamin C, alpha hydroxy acids (AHA), and beta hydroxy acids (BHA) and Retin-A every night.

Your insurance may cover Retin-A. I have a .25â„… Retin-A/antibiotic prescription that my insurance covers. I spent about six months at the .25% and then went up to 1%. I use it nightly unless I experience drying, then I drop down to the .25 until the flakiness subsides.

I use Timeless for my serums including my Vitamin C serum.

Make sure your using a good broad spectrum sunscreen every day.

Oh, great tips about how to handle irritation. I will need to find a good sunscreen before starting. Thank you!

I forgot to add that I tried PC's Resist 2% BHA several months ago and broke out in painful cystic acne. I took a break and tried again and the same thing happened. I was so bummed about that!

Oh, no! That's awful. :-( I used to use the "Skin Perfecting" (gel) before I switched to the body lotion and it worked really well, very light-weight. Perhaps the "Resist" line is more emollient? I wouldn't blame you if you were hesitant to try any more of her products, though. Cystic acne is the WORST (and it's why I have a prescription retinoid gel!).

• Like 1

Oh, no! That's awful. :-( I used to use the "Skin Perfecting" (gel) before I switched to the body lotion and it worked really well, very light-weight. Perhaps the "Resist" line is more emollient? I wouldn't blame you if you were hesitant to try any more of her products, though. Cystic acne is the WORST (and it's why I have a prescription retinoid gel!).

That makes sense; I think it was too moisturizing. I have acne prone, oily skin and pores that clog easily and are prone to milia and blackheads. It looks like I ordered the wrong product. I will check those other PC products out. Thank you so much for sharing.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 1

Holy cow, this thread is making my head spin. My skin care regimen consists of soap and water. Lol!

LOL!  I've seen pics of you. You have amazing skin. I wish!  

I wash and put an antioxidant serum on my face. Done.  Starting some anti-aging stuff is way overdue for me and my sun damaged skin, 40 year old skin. I seriously am the oldest looking person my age in my circles. Runs in the fam. My mom and grandma look at least 10 years older than everyone else their age. :(   If this stuff works for me, I'm going to hook my mom up for Mother's Day. :P She'd be thrilled.

• Like 1

I'd love some of the Retin-A users to chime in on their favorite sunscreen as well, if that's ok with you OP! I use Elta MD clear, but I'm thinking of trying something new.

My experience with Retin-A was starting out with the 0.025, then after about 6 months I moved on to 0.05. I still can't go daily, so I haven't tried the .1% yet. I've used 0.05 for well over a year...Usually about 3-4 consecutive nights, then off a night or two.

ETA: Typo

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 1

I'd love some of the Retin-A users to chime in on their favorite sunscreen as well, if that's ok with you OP! I use Elta MD clear, but I'm thinking of trying something new.

My experience with Retin-A was starting out with the 0.025, then after about 6 months I moved on to 0.05. I still can't go daily, so I haven't tried the 1% yet. I've used 0.05 for well over a year...Usually about 3-4 consecutive nights, then off a night or two.

Of course! I'd love to hear recs too. I have a terrible skin type and every sunscreen I've tried clogs my pores. I'm hoping because I'm doing these intensive treatments that keepnpores cleaned out, that I'll be able to tolerate sunscreen. We shall see.

Here's a post I've saved with sunscreen recs:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/530084-anyone-ever-done-a-chemical-peel/?p=5957498

Thanks for sharing your timeline! Do you notice positive results from the Retin-A?

• Like 1

Of course! I'd love to hear recs too. I have a terrible skin type and every sunscreen I've tried clogs my pores. I'm hoping because I'm doing these intensive treatments that keepnpores cleaned out, that I'll be able to tolerate sunscreen. We shall see.

Here's a post I've saved with sunscreen recs:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/530084-anyone-ever-done-a-chemical-peel/?p=5957498

Thanks for sharing your timeline! Do you notice positive results from the Retin-A?

Definitely saw results. In the first 8-10 weeks, I had less breakouts and much smoother skin. I'm 41, and don't have a lot of wrinkles (yet!), but my derm prescribed it for hormonal acne. I'd like to think it's helping scare off the wrinkles too, though. ;)

• Like 1

Holy Moses! I can barely remember to brush my teeth and wash my face.

cleanser

moisturizer

cleanser

moisturizer

cleanser

You might find this helpful: http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/skin-care-basics/_/how-to-put-together-a-skin-care-routine

Or this: http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/skin-care-basics/_/5-minute-skincare

• Like 1

dp.

cleanser

moisturizer

cleanser

moisturizer

cleanser

You might find this helpful: http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/skin-care-basics/_/how-to-put-together-a-skin-care-routine

Or this: http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/skin-care-basics/_/5-minute-skincare

Edited by reefgazer

Holy Moses! I can barely remember to brush my teeth and wash my face.

My memory isn't good, but my motivation is!  I can either do the routine and have halfway-decent looking skin, or I can skip the routine and have cystic acne.  That's a pretty compelling reason for me to keep up with the routine!   :001_smile:

• Like 2

For sunscreen, I like Paula's Choice RESIST Youth-Extending Daily Hydrating Fluid SPF 50

It's not greasy or smelly, no whiteness, absorbs quickly.

For those of us who work out in the mornings (outdoors), I have a question. I've been looking for a sunscreen to use specifically for my workouts. Something that isn't too heavy, but it needs to be able to withstand excessive sweating too. Do you think this would do the trick? I'm currently using neutrogena sunscreen specifically for the face. I don't remember the spf #, and t's in my gym bag in the car.

• Like 1

If you have a reaction like this, note the main ingredients. That way, you can figure out over time what is the culprit. I couldn't use this because of the salicylic acid. I'm allergic to it and it makes my skin turn to sandpaper. That's why I use glycolic acid. My skin just likes it better.

Actually, I can't use most of the Paula's Choice products as they make me break out terribly. I do love the Resist Barrier Repair Moisturizer. It does great things for my skin.

ETA: I just noticed that it appears you are going straight to prescription strength with Retin-A and it appears you have never used over the counter retinols. I don't know how bad your skin issues are but you might consider trying an over the counter formula first. It will be milder (meaning the side effects will be milder) and may be all you need. I had mild cystic acne when I was a teenager and started using this Neutrogena cream at 15. Back then, it was a day cream but it is still the same stuff. It completely rid me of cystic acne and made my skin pretty much flawless. I used it until I had my ds at 29 and started using it again after he was born. (My skin was awful when I was pregnant.) When my ds started having acne this year, I started him on it. I can always tell when he hasn't been using because he starts breaking out again. I have recommended this cream to people here before. It is probably my all time favorite product ever.

Edited by MaeFlowers
  • Like 3

For those of us who work out in the mornings (outdoors), I have a question. I've been looking for a sunscreen to use specifically for my workouts. Something that isn't too heavy, but it needs to be able to withstand excessive sweating too. Do you think this would do the trick? I'm currently using neutrogena sunscreen specifically for the face. I don't remember the spf #, and t's in my gym bag in the car.

I generally prefer physical (zinc oxide type) sunscreens if I'm going to be sweating a lot because chemical sunscreens sting my eyes if I get sweaty. The Resist SPF 50 doesn't sting nearly as much as some other sunscreens I've tried, but it still bothers me a bit. It makes a great everyday sunscreen, though, because it's super lightweight (liquid rather than a cream) and disappears completely. It's hard to find an "invisible" sunscreen with such a high SPF.

• Like 1

I generally prefer physical (zinc oxide type) sunscreens if I'm going to be sweating a lot because chemical sunscreens sting my eyes if I get sweaty. The Resist SPF 50 doesn't sting nearly as much as some other sunscreens I've tried, but it still bothers me a bit. It makes a great everyday sunscreen, though, because it's super lightweight (liquid rather than a cream) and disappears completely. It's hard to find an "invisible" sunscreen with such a high SPF.

Got it. So does this routine look okay?

Before bed beauty routine

Sleep

Wake up

Wash face (is this necessary?)

Zinc oxide sunscreen

Work out

Wash face

Normal beauty routine including sunscreen

• Like 2

Be sure you're using a good sunscreen religiously. I finally found some that I like that don't leave me with that unpleasant greasy feel, which meant that I'd skip it as often as not. Now that I have some I like, it's much easier to wear it daily. I look for ones that keep me from turning red (I have a reaction to the sun, so I turn red pretty much immediately, even on cloudy days, but it's not a burn), and that have a nice feel when I rub them in. I love the sun protection of Anthelios, but I've given it up for most uses because I can't stand that greasy feel for daily use, and it always seems to have a bit of a white cast, even on my deathly pale skin. I've ended up with Asian sunscreens because they work well for me and have a nice feel on application with no greasiness at all.

Ones I like a lot for nice skin feel and no white cast:

Biore Watery Essence (I use this during the winter or when I'm not going to be outside much.)

Another Biore sunscreen that's water resistant (I use this when I'm going to be in the sun more or sweating)

Missha sunscreen that's water resistant (I use this interchangeably with the Biore water resistant one)

• Like 2

Got it. So does this routine look okay?

Before bed beauty routine

Sleep

Wake up

Wash face (is this necessary?)

Zinc oxide sunscreen

Work out

Wash face

Normal beauty routine including sunscreen

I do my morning face wash just as part of my regular shower after I workout (I keep one bottle of my CeraVe facial cleanser by my sink for my evening wash, and one in the shower for my morning wash).  I don't think it's particularly necessary to wash your face both before and after your workout.  If I'm going to be exercising outside, then I do put on sunscreen, but I don't wash first.  Then I shower (wash my face) and apply sunscreen again.  If I'm exercising at the gym, I just get up and go.  Well, not true, I get up, have coffee, then go.  :D

• Like 1

If you have a reaction like this, note the main ingredients. That way, you can figure out over time what is the culprit. I couldn't use this because of the salicylic acid. I'm allergic to it and it makes my skin turn to sandpaper. That's why I use glycolic acid. My skin just likes it better.

Actually, I can't use most of the Paula's Choice products as they make me break out terribly. I do love the Resist Barrier Repair Moisturizer. It does great things for my skin.

ETA: I just noticed that it appears you are going straight to prescription strength with Retin-A and it appears you have never used over the counter retinols. I don't know how bad your skin issues are but you might consider trying an over the counter formula first. It will be milder (meaning the side effects will be milder) and may be all you need. I had mild cystic acne when I was a teenager and started using this Neutrogena cream at 15. Back then, it was a day cream but it is still the same stuff. It completely rid me of cystic acne and made my skin pretty much flawless. I used it until I had my ds at 29 and started using it again after he was born. (My skin was awful when I was pregnant.) When my ds started having acne this year, I started him on it. I can always tell when he hasn't been using because he starts breaking out again. I have recommended this cream to people here before. It is probably my all time favorite product ever.

That Neutrogena product looks amazing. Thank you. I'm trying some ASAP! I'm only 40 and already have age spots and wrinkles. I'm needing the intensive stuff too though. Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

Holy cow, this thread is making my head spin. My skin care regimen consists of soap and water. Lol!

LOL, I'm with you. I don't even use soap! I wash with water usually, and then I do use a moisturizer after I get out of the shower (or my skin get's irritated)...usually Cerave cream...I don't even think it is for faces, but that's what I use. 

• Like 1

Does anyone use the Elta sunscreen? It contains niaminacide, so that's another layer and I'm wondering how to work it in.

I use Elta sunscreen. I apply it after cleanser and moisturizer (if needed), and before make-up (if I'm going to wear any).

Which one do you use? I've been using the UV Clear, but I just ordered the UV Physical Broad Spectrum SPF 41 to try.

• Like 1

I use UV clear Broad Spectrum 46.  I have used a different one, but can't remember which one, but I did like it a little better. The one i have right now is actually slightly tinted.  It's fine, but I was suprised.  I guess I wasn't payiing enough attention when I bought it.

• Like 1

FYI, if there is an HEB near you, they have a coupon for $2.00 off Neutrogena products. Regular price for the item above was $11.96. I bought that plus the cream cleanser I love for under $14.00. I should go back and buy a few more for later.

• Like 1