Menu

Balancing Chemical Equations video :)

So...

I made a video for balancing chemical equations. :D  NEprairiemom's post on chemistry help was actually well-timed for me - it got me to start trying out some of the new software I downloaded to see if I could make teaching videos for use in the online chem class I want to develop. :)  Here's the link for the video on YouTube:

I made it a private video so that it can be viewed by anyone with the link.  I also just put it on my own YouTube page for now - that's not how I will run the eventual class but it was easiest to do for now.

Anyone currently doing chem with their students is welcome to take a look.  And I would love feedback!!  Do I go too slowly?  Do I talk too quickly?  Am I totally confusing?  Is my Canadian accent (which I can't hear and think I'm accent-less :D ) too annoying?

When I teach, I try to teach to the "middle" of a theoretical class full of students.  There are some students who might still be confused after a lesson and other students who are bored because I'm going too slowly and they've "got it" after the first few minutes.  That's OK. :)  The students who are still struggling can ask more questions and I can go over more examples.  For the students who are "chemistry-minded" and pick it up quickly, I can give them challenge problems to work on.

What does the Hive think - did I hit the "middle"?  Any other feedback for me?

Edited by Dicentra
  • Like 10

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray: Wonderful Dicentra!

That was fantastic! Thank you for sharing!

My input:

You have a very pleasant voice to listen to. You don't "um" and "uh" and you speak in nice complete sentences. You don't rush or speak too quickly.

The oreo example is very clear and understandable, and the tally of atoms idea is fabulous -- it makes it very easy to keep track of everything. Visually, the red marker is a very nice contrast to the black, typed equation.

The only quibble I have is small (literally and figuratively! :laugh: ) -- everything is so very teeny-tiny on the whiteboard (both the chemical equation, but esp. your writing and the arrows and oreo drawing), that it's easy to miss your little arrows showing where things are, so perhaps see if there is a way to increase the size of the image by at least 25%.

Excited to see where you go from here! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

PS -- the only Canadian accent I noticed was hearing "aboot" for "about". ;)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray: Wonderful Dicentra!

That was fantastic! Thank you for sharing!

My input:

You have a very pleasant voice to listen to. You don't "um" and "uh" and you speak in nice complete sentences. You don't rush or speak too quickly.

The oreo example is very clear and understandable, and the tally of atoms idea is fabulous -- it makes it very easy to keep track of everything. Visually, the red marker is a very nice contrast to the black, typed equation.

The only quibble I have is small (literally and figuratively! :laugh: ) -- everything is so very teeny-tiny on the whiteboard (both the chemical equation, but esp. your writing and the arrows and oreo drawing), that it's easy to miss your little arrows showing where things are, so perhaps see if there is a way to increase the size of the image by at least 25%.

Excited to see where you go from here! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

PS -- the only Canadian accent I noticed was hearing "aboot" for "about". ;)

:D  See - I could have sworn that I don't say "aboot"! :D

Thank you so much for the feedback, Lori!  I'll definitely play with the sizing of the image.  I was previewing it on full screen on my laptop so didn't realize how small it would be on the standard sized YouTube screen.  Will see what I can do to change it. :)

Connie, 

I think I love you.  ;)

Or at least my son will love you.  

(and he thought he had the weekend off….No son, you're going to listen to this nice lady explain why you bombed your last science exam.  She will bring balance to the force….)

Thanks for that video.  Very well done.  

• Like 2

We are used to British accent due to my husband watching Fawlty Towers DVDs so they won't bothered by your accent and your pronunciation of about. My younger boy unfortunately only remembered about the Oreos, not your fault that my kids love cookies. We used YouTube to watch full screen on my 12.9" iPad Pro so it wasn't difficult to see for us.

It is very nicely done though :)

• Like 1

:D  See - I could have sworn that I don't say "aboot"! :D

Thank you so much for the feedback, Lori!  I'll definitely play with the sizing of the image.  I was previewing it on full screen on my laptop so didn't realize how small it would be on the standard sized YouTube screen.  Will see what I can do to change it. :)

"Aboot" was the only word I noticed a slight accent -- and not really that noticeable. ;) I'm sure I would have an American Midwestern/Southwestern accent to you, although I am completely convinced that *I* have no accent. ;) lol

My thought about the size is more about proportion of the equation and your writing to the overall screen. I get that it may be difficult to change that upwards by very much in order to leave you plenty of whiteboard for all of your notes to fit by the end of the explanation. That may just be something you have to play with and see if you can bump it up just a bit, while still leaving yourself enough working room...

And... I thought I mentioned the most important thing, but apparently neglected to type it up... duh! Your *content* is great, as is your method of explanation. Very clear, very gentle and specific, and presented in an interesting way. You are a terrific teacher! :)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

(and he thought he had the weekend off….No son, you're going to listen to this nice lady explain why you bombed your last science exam.  She will bring balance to the force….)

Thanks for that video.  Very well done.  

"Balance to the force..."  I love that. :D

We are used to British accent due to my husband watching Fawlty Towers DVDs so they won't bothered by your accent and your pronunciation of about. My younger boy unfortunately only remembered about the Oreos, not your fault that my kids love cookies. We used YouTube to watch full screen on my 12.9" iPad Pro so it wasn't difficult to see for us.

It is very nicely done though :)

But that's fantastic that your younger remembers about the Oreos!  Hopefully, when he gets to balancing (and stoichiometry) when he does high school chem, the Oreo example will come back to him.  I've just helped to plant the seed early. :)

"Aboot" was the only word I noticed a slight accent -- and not really that noticeable. ;) I'm sure I would have an American Midwestern/Southwestern accent to you, although I am completely convinced that *I* have no accent. ;) lol

My thought about the size is more about proportion of the equation and your writing to the overall screen. I get that it may be difficult to change that upwards by very much in order to leave you plenty of whiteboard for all of your notes to fit by the end of the explanation. That may just be something you have to play with and see if you can bump it up just a bit, while still leaving yourself enough working room...

And... I thought I mentioned the most important thing, but apparently neglected to type it up... duh! Your *content* is great, as is your method of explanation. Very clear, very gentle and specific, and presented in an interesting way. You are a terrific teacher! :)

Isn't it funny how each one of us is *sure* that we have no accent? :D

I think I can adjust for the writing size on the screen.  If I make any pre-printed text on the screen bigger, it will remind me to write larger. :)  I could also have given myself two slides to write on for that brief video instead of one.  I'll definitely keep all of that in mind!

And thank you so much for your kind words, Lori.  I truly enjoy teaching, particularly chemistry, and I always hope my love for the subject comes through to my students. :)

• Like 2

Isn't it funny how each one of us is *sure* that we have no accent?  :D

lol! Too true.  :001_rolleyes:

I think I can adjust for the writing size on the screen.  If I make any pre-printed text on the screen bigger, it will remind me to write larger. :)  I could also have given myself two slides to write on for that brief video instead of one.  I'll definitely keep all of that in mind!

Oo! Great ideas! :)

And thank you so much for your kind words, Lori.  I truly enjoy teaching, particularly chemistry, and I always hope my love for the subject comes through to my students.  :)

It definitely does!

I know that feeling exactly -- I LOVE sharing my love and enjoyment of great Lit. and great films in my Lit. & Comp. and Film Analysis co-op classes! I always hope that it fires some enthusiasm in my students for enjoying Great Literature, or for wanting to think a little deeper about great films. :)

Can't wait to see once you have a class put together! You with Chemistry, and Jetta with her Physics class, and Jann in Tx with her Math classes, rock this Board! :laugh:

• Like 1

I watched, even though we aren't doing chemistry until next year. :)

I thought the video hit the middle well. The Oreo illustration is very good. The example chosen was hard enough to explain the concepts, but not too hard. Are you planning on prerecording videos for the classes? Would it be possible to record an intro video for those who need to start with a simpler equation? A five-minute version for the impatient student might be nice, but I've noticed that the more impatient with the video, the more likely to understand the text. Of course, if you are teaching live, the middle is the way to go. But it is easier for more-confused students to start simpler and move forward than to start harder and go back.

My laptop has pathetic speakers, so the volume was adequate for a quiet space, but too low for background noise. All the ads play loudly so maybe it has something to do with the recording, too. I don't know if it is possible to make it louder on your end or not.

Thank you so much for all the great information you have posted about chemistry planning, especially of the lab skills to cover. I went a wee-bit overboard with biology labs this year, so I am hoping to make better choices next year.

That about was more of an aboout than an aboot.  I only caught it because I was listening for it. On the other hand, as a Yooper with a Canadian-born mother, I may not be the best judge in this case.

• Like 1

When do you plan to offer your course? I am super interested!!!

I'm hoping to offer the course starting in Fall 2018.  A few Hive members have wondered if I might offer a beta-version for next fall at a discount while I'm developing the course.  I'm still thinking on that one. :)

I watched, even though we aren't doing chemistry until next year. :)

I thought the video hit the middle well. The Oreo illustration is very good. The example chosen was hard enough to explain the concepts, but not too hard. Are you planning on prerecording videos for the classes? Would it be possible to record an intro video for those who need to start with a simpler equation? A five-minute version for the impatient student might be nice, but I've noticed that the more impatient with the video, the more likely to understand the text. Of course, if you are teaching live, the middle is the way to go. But it is easier for more-confused students to start simpler and move forward than to start harder and go back.

My laptop has pathetic speakers, so the volume was adequate for a quiet space, but too low for background noise. All the ads play loudly so maybe it has something to do with the recording, too. I don't know if it is possible to make it louder on your end or not.

Thank you so much for all the great information you have posted about chemistry planning, especially of the lab skills to cover. I went a wee-bit overboard with biology labs this year, so I am hoping to make better choices next year.

That about was more of an aboout than an aboot.  I only caught it because I was listening for it. On the other hand, as a Yooper with a Canadian-born mother, I may not be the best judge in this case.

Thanks for the feedback, Julie!  I'll definitely look at the mic level to see if it can be adjusted.

I absolutely see what you're saying about using lots of examples to work up to a concept.  That video was pretty much a spur of the moment, off the cuff, no script/plan video - that was pretty much what someone would get if they stopped me on the street and said, "How do I balance chemical equations?". :D  When I start recording videos for use in the course (yes - I think I'll make all the teaching videos pre-recorded), I'll have better and more detailed slides and I'll have a detailed plan for each lesson. :)  I'm a big believer in instructional scaffolding so I would definitely begin with simpler examples and work up to more difficult ones while slowly removing the verbal "supports" for students so that they can work towards working the problems on their own. :)