Menu

NAC or Omega3 for ds with OCD/Tourette, question

6packofun

Thinking about getting ds started on one or both of these as studies seem to show the possibility for improvement.  My question, though, is if it matters if the Omega-3 source is FISH oil and not flax oil? 

Also, I've heard several people talking about NAC (N-acetylcysteine) but need a source.  Any recommendations for where to get it?

dudeilng takes NOW NAC 600mg 2x per day.  (start with a smaller dose.).  the difference when taking  it vs not . .  just, wow.   I ran out, didn't make it a high priority to replace - I saw a lot of regression during that time.

I'm generally happy with  the middle ground of NOW quality and price.   there are better - and for somethings I prefer a beter quality brand.

he also takes Nordic Naturals proomega fish oil - 2x per day.  has more than just the omega 3s.

both were specifically recommended for him by his ND. (except for NOW - she rec'd a more expensive brand.)

dudeilng takes NOW NAC 600mg 2x per day.  (start with a smaller dose.).  the difference when taking  it vs not . .  just, wow.   I ran out, didn't make it a high priority to replace - I saw a lot of regression during that time.

I'm generally happy with  the middle ground of NOW quality and price.   there are better - and for somethings I prefer a beter quality brand.

he also takes Nordic Naturals proomega fish oil - 2x per day.  has more than just the omega 3s.

both were specifically recommended for him by his ND. (except for NOW - she rec'd a more expensive brand.)

THANK YOU!

There are lots of brands of NAC.  NOW, Source Naturals and Jarrow are the brands we have used.

Fish oil - and even flax oil, but fish oil in particular - is going to be a trial-and-error supplement.  Some people tic *more* on fish oil.

For tics in particular, I'd also look at magnesium.  And if there is any possibility of immune system disfunction and/or infections like strep or mycoplasma, I'd consider a pans/pandas angle.  Also, it has recently come to my attention that a similar sort of immune disfunction may be exacerbated by Miralax.

If he swallows pills, smell shouldn't be a problem for capsules.  If he doesn't swallow pills, the PharmaNac brand is supposedly better quality than capsules - tablets make a fizzy drink in water. Pomegranate flavor is way better than Apple flavor, IMO (can also add to water with a little juice).  PharmaNac is expensive.

There are lots of brands of NAC.  NOW, Source Naturals and Jarrow are the brands we have used.

Fish oil - and even flax oil, but fish oil in particular - is going to be a trial-and-error supplement.  Some people tic *more* on fish oil.

For tics in particular, I'd also look at magnesium.  And if there is any possibility of immune system disfunction and/or infections like strep or mycoplasma, I'd consider a pans/pandas angle.  Also, it has recently come to my attention that a similar sort of immune disfunction may be exacerbated by Miralax.

We're finding that his tics aren't a huge issue but combined with the OCD it's just a little intense right now so that's where the NAC comes in, I hope.  It has ramped up over the course of a month or so and we are taking him to the dr.  I was planning on asking about PANS/PANDA even though I'm doubtful that's an issue.  Thanks for the heads up with fish oil; we'll start out with a lower dose at first or even just wait to see how he does on NAC.  Thanks!