Menu

Is this a new thing when having a baby shower? Update in first post

itsheresomewhere

Honest question-

I received an invite to a surprise baby shower.  The invite says- As soon as we know the final count attending, we will email everyone the cost they need to contribute for the food and decor.

Is this a new thing asking/telling/assuming invited guest will be contributing for a party?

We have an update-

I ran into the "hostess" today.  Her response to me was that I really could expect a single mom to host over thirty people on her dime.  Asking for people to help pay for things is normal and expected now but since my kids are homeschooled, I wouldn't know that.  She ended herself with it doesn't matter anyway to what you think as you are not coming anyway.  

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 1

Honest question-

I received an invite to a surprise baby shower. The invite says- As soon as we know the final count attending, we will email everyone the cost they need to contribute for the food and decor.

Is this a new thing asking/telling/assuming invited guest will be contributing for a party?

If it's a new trend, it's one that needs to die a swift and sure death. Hostessing costs should be shared between the hostesses. Some may want to go in together for a large gift, but not for the punch and buttermints.

• Like 27

I've never seen that.

If you're part of a group organizing/hosting the shower then contributing to costs is normal. If you're just an invited guest? A gift is all that is expected.

That is what we have always done. I thought maybe I had missed something. I am just an invited guest.  

Honestly, I think if the person who they are throwing the shower for would be applaud they did this.  But it confirms my thoughts on the person throwing it.

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 2

When I clicked on the thread, I thought it was going to be about gender reveals, by the way. This is the weirdest trend in pregnancy traditions. I was invited to one recently (it was out of town, I didn't even consider going). It was a whole thing though. I was sort of darkly fascinated.

• Like 7

I know many of ya'll hate old fashioned etiquette books. But seriously following those rules would be better than some of the junk that people do now. 

One rule that I don't think is written down in those old books perhaps because authors didn't contemplate it needed to be said: Plan and host the party you can afford, not the one you covet. That goes for showers, weddings, dinners, anything.

I would decline the invite. If I was inclined, I'd buy a nice baby/new mom present and deliver it to the family separate from the party. 

• Like 31

Maybe they are going to run it UP the flagpole and see who salutes. 

If they can't afford to host a baby shower, then they shouldn't host a baby shower. I'd almost be inclined to ask the host if that is the issue and explain that it is not customary and considered rude to ask the guests for help paying for the shower, and proceed from there.

I love it that you asked here. 

Edited by Gaillardia
  • Like 7

One rule that I don't think is written down in those old books perhaps because authors didn't contemplate it needed to be said: Plan and host the party you can afford, not the one you covet. That goes for showers, weddings, dinners, anything.

YES!!! I have a couple of friends who've been knocked around or beat up by the expectations for the party they were "forced" to host. 

• Like 1

Here is what I *could* see:

"Baby shower!  Yay!  Come celebrate with us and help New Mom get ready for Little Tyke!  Bring some finger-food to share. " 

THAT I could see.  But I'm not signing up for *decor* for crying out loud.  And anyone can afford a couple of bottles of pop and some sherbet to make that traditional Shower Punch.  

Sometimes I think our world has gotten waaaay too complicated.  People see Fantastic Baby Shower on some TV show and they thing that is what it is about (same with weddings).  They *miss the whole point*--which is to help a friend be ready for the baby (or the new married life) or to end up *married*.  It's not Queen for a Day or something.  But that is often how it is portrayed in TV shows and in magazine ads and stories...it's depressing.

:::gets out cane to wave around:::    Back in MY day, we had a wedding or a baby shower and we sat around a room and played a stupid game and opened presents that we needed to set up a household or get ready for a baby and then we had cake (that one of the ladies had made) and punch (7Up and sherbet of the Bride's Colors and gabbed the afternoon away.  That was fun.  And the presents were NOT expensive...no one spent more than $20...sometimes a few would go together for a gift.   And decor?  Seriously?  Maybe some pink paper napkins and flowered paper plates...that's it.   It was much more about being together to celebrate and help someone get ready than spending a lot of money that no one had anyway.  ::::stomps off to shout at the kids to git offa my lawn

Plan and host the party you can afford, not the one you covet. 

This is so good!!!

It addresses so many problematic etiquette issues on such a wide range of situations.

I've been to fantastic over-the-top-luxury weddings and fantastic church-basement-punch-n-cake weddings . . . and everything in between. Same goes for baby showers. My first baby was greeted by a fancy catered brunch in a nice hotel . . . and my second baby was greeted by a pot-luck-shower at a friend's house. Honestly, the second one was more fun! Both were fabulous. People really need to just do what they can afford and embrace it and enjoy it. 

But, really, don't invite your guests to pay for YOUR party! That's just gross.

• Like 6

And the presents were NOT expensive...no one spent more than $20...sometimes a few would go together for a gift. 

To be fair, that was in "back in your day" dollars.  Inflation being what it is, I could easily see that being about what most people spend nowadays.

Wendy

• Like 3

If I'm paying for the DECOR and food, do I get to help select? Complain when it's not to my taste? Well, I had no decor at my baby shower at all, we considered it totally unnecessary expense, so I don't think that the host here should have any so just take that off my bill. And the cheap bulk snacks from Aldi are just as good as the name brand ones from expensive stores, so buy those instead. I'm not paying for Whole Foods Organic Vegan-Friendly Blah. 

Yeah, no. Contributing $5 for pizza delivery? Fine. Being told the costs of food and DECOR! will be split between all attending guests once numbers are finalised? Forget it!

Suddenly I have a really really important... thing... to do that day. 

• Like 4

Not only would I decline, but I'd explain exactly why when I RSVP-ed about my skipping it. If they can't afford it organize a potluck meal among several hostesses or with the guests. But that is unacceptably tacky.

Here is what I *could* see:

"Baby shower! Yay! Come celebrate with us and help New Mom get ready for Little Tyke! Bring some finger-food to share. "

THAT I could see. But I'm not signing up for *decor* for crying out loud. And anyone can afford a couple of bottles of pop and some sherbet to make that traditional Shower Punch.

Sometimes I think our world has gotten waaaay too complicated. People see Fantastic Baby Shower on some TV show and they thing that is what it is about (same with weddings). They *miss the whole point*--which is to help a friend be ready for the baby (or the new married life) or to end up *married*. It's not Queen for a Day or something. But that is often how it is portrayed in TV shows and in magazine ads and stories...it's depressing.

:::gets out cane to wave around::: Back in MY day, we had a wedding or a baby shower and we sat around a room and played a stupid game and opened presents that we needed to set up a household or get ready for a baby and then we had cake (that one of the ladies had made) and punch (7Up and sherbet of the Bride's Colors and gabbed the afternoon away. That was fun. And the presents were NOT expensive...no one spent more than $20...sometimes a few would go together for a gift. And decor? Seriously? Maybe some pink paper napkins and flowered paper plates...that's it. It was much more about being together to celebrate and help someone get ready than spending a lot of money that no one had anyway. ::::stomps off to shout at the kids to git offa my lawn

I'll wave a cane in tandem with yours. Sheeeesh.

Well I was bad- I highlighted the part about paying for food and decor and emailed through the group invite.  My polite email stated that I am assuming that this was really meant to go out those hosting the party not all guests.  As I have never heard of guests paying for a baby shower.  I also emailed my regrets but I could not attend the party.  

The more I think about it, I can't believe I am stunned she did this as she is an expert at rude. 

• Like 46

Well I was bad- I highlighted the part about paying for food and decor and emailed through the group invite. My polite email stated that I am assuming that this was really meant to go out those hosting the party not all guests. As I have never heard of guests paying for a baby shower. I also emailed my regrets but I could not attend the party.

The more I think about it, I can't believe I am stunned she did this as she is an expert at rude.

Good for you!

It's high time people started calling the emperor naked when it comes to this sort of thing.

Cane-Wavers, unite!

• Like 19

Well I was bad- I highlighted the part about paying for food and decor and emailed through the group invite.  My polite email stated that I am assuming that this was really meant to go out those hosting the party not all guests.  As I have never heard of guests paying for a baby shower.  I also emailed my regrets but I could not attend the party.  

I think that's perfect. 

• Like 1

I am eager to hear what her response is to your RSVP!

Once a woman, the mother of my daughter's friend, asked me if she could throw a surprise party for my daughter's birthday with their friend group. I thought it was kind of weird, but sweet. But then she started giving me assignments...pick up a cake...have messages written on the cake highlighting the recent accomplishments of a couple other girls in the group, including her own daughter's new skating skill...pick up balloons...and a helium tank...it went on and on! Stopped feeling less sweet, lol

• Like 2

Honest question-

I received an invite to a surprise baby shower.  The invite says- As soon as we know the final count attending, we will email everyone the cost they need to contribute for the food and decor.

No, alas, rudeness has been around for a long time.

If this is a friend that you love, consider declining to attend the shower and just give her a gift on your own.

• Like 2

Honest question-

I had a shower just a few days ago, and no, that is not a thing. 

• Like 1

You weren't bad. I think it was a pretty classy way to respond.

• Like 6