Menu

Continuation of my 1 bath thread. No dishwasher.

sassenach

We also don't have a dishwasher. We had one for 3 years in a rental.

Honestly, I used to curse the stupid thing and felt like I spent more time rinsing, packing perfectly, repacking, swearing at the stupid machine for not working properly and then unpacking. I could have just washed the things by hand and been done.

We are not getting one when we build. I don't want one. I spend about half an hour a day doing all the dishes in one go, I listen to an audio book or podcast and actually find it quite peaceful and satisfying. Gotta find those simple pleasures... or I may well have lost my mind.

Oh seriously you should get one when you build. I have had a good one and a very bad one. Bad ones are worthless....but good ones don't even require rinsing.

• Like 1

I don't have a system other than someone washes the breakfast dishes after breakfast, the lunch dishes after lunch and the dinner dishes after dinner. 

Just as it is entirely possible to live a happy and meaningful life with only one bathroom, so one survives without a dishwasher. 

Yep.

I grew up in a family of 7 with no dishwasher. Dad cooked and kids washed (mom was working). Clean up after each meal. That's it. Also lived in a house until age 10 with one bathroom. I don't know how it worked out but it did. No bathroom trauma here.

My own family of 4 has lived with no dishwasher and now we have one. I rarely use it. I have always preferred to wash by hand and I think it goes quickly. So many of the things I use, pots and pans, certain knives, cutting boards, etc. have to be hand-washed anyway.

We've also lived with one bathroom and made it work. It works because it has to. No schedule or special rules. Just be considerate of one another. I love having two bathrooms now but I realize it is a luxury and not a necessity.

Edited by samba
  • Like 1

Update for those who are interested. We didn't get the house. We bid 30k over asking. I'm not sure what else we could have done. We thought that it was a strong enough offer.

Blah. The market is so rough here.

We live in Boston and BTDT 10 times over 1.5 years.  We only got our current home by getting a pocket sale (never went on the market).  We consistently bid 10-15% over and still lost.

• Like 1

No dishwasher was perfectly manageable when our lids were little, but now that they are older and always making themselves snacks (or entire 4th meals!), the dishwasher has been a lifesaver.  So I would say that this depends on your family habits.  But at least it's easy to move in a dishwasher - not as complicated as adding on a whole entire bathroom.

Update for those who are interested. We didn't get the house. We bid 30k over asking. I'm not sure what else we could have done. We thought that it was a strong enough offer.

Blah. The market is so rough here.

I'm sorry you didn't get the house. Blah.

I did want to say that you will be fine with one bath and no dishwasher. Why? Because you will find a way to be fine with it. It will be great because you will all be together and find a way to make it work together. Because you are a family and that's what families do.

• Like 3

SF Bay Area. 650k was not enough for a 1 bath, no dishwasher, 1000 sq ft home. Welcome to SF!

HOLY @$

Southeast sticker shock!!!  1800 sq ft, 2 bath, dishwasher, 2 car garage, laundry room , basic builder plan (no "upgrades" )  1/2 acre runs roughly 130k

upgrade to granite counter tops, tile baths, tile floors, hardwoods, high end everything - 200k-300k

Good gravy....... the COL in other places.... :001_huh:  :svengo:

• Like 1

HOLY @$

Southeast sticker shock!!! 1800 sq ft, 2 bath, dishwasher, 2 car garage, laundry room , basic builder plan (no "upgrades" ) 1/2 acre runs roughly 130k

upgrade to granite counter tops, tile baths, tile floors, hardwoods, high end everything - 200k-300k

Good gravy....... the COL in other places.... :001_huh: :svengo:

Yeah, I know. We were homeowners in Florida.

SF Bay Area. 650k was not enough for a 1 bath, no dishwasher, 1000 sq ft home. Welcome to SF!

Identical 865sqft floor plan to my 1 bedroom 1 bath condo sold for about the same amount. It is much worse in Palo Alto for a 1 bedroom condo. That is why we have not upgrade to a two bedroom condo.

I get that it is disappointing though :grouphug:

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

So many of the things I use, pots and pans, certain knives, cutting boards, etc. have to be hand-washed anyway.

We handwash sharp knives (not table knives) and aluminium moka pots and rice-cooker accessories.   That's it.  Our chopping boards and salad bowls are plastic and go in the dishwasher as do all our pots except the cast-iron wok and one hollow cookie sheet.

I wish dishes about 3 times a day.  Right after lunch, as I am fixing supper, and after supper.   I always wash as I go when I am baking or cooking.   I will wash breakfast dishes if I actually cook something.  But if we just eat toast for breakfast, I don't both with washing those plates right away.

I've never had a dw and this is what I do. Of course, I am not always the one actually doing them, but the dishes are washed by someone about 3 times a day.

I'm so sorry.  Housing prices here are just nuts.

And sellers are looking for crazy things like all cash offers.

I strongly suggest that you get a realtor who will help you draft letters to sellers that make it clear why you value their home so much.  Sometimes that carries weight with people.  I know of several instances where it carried the day over better offers. 

Re. the no dishwasher thing--I had a house like that, here in an older (but charming!) part of Silicon Valley. No dishwasher and no place for one.  Never again!

When we moved into our current home, which also didn't have one, I identified the dishwasher of the future spot and was absolutely relentless about not storing anything there, even 'temporarily'.  A new dishwasher was the very first thing we bought once we had a bit of financial breathing room after that home purchase.