Menu

Outdoor Toys for Tweens

rainbowmama

Riding bikesand scooters

Hiking

Adventuring in the woods- they build forts

We do forest training toi- aka swinging on grape vines, climbing trees, balancing on logs, etc

I'd love to buildan obstacle course but for now we just use the forest.

I want a climbing rope, slack line, climbing wall and monkey bar's to start

• Like 1

Our outside toys:

Bikes

Foot powered scooters

Skateboards

Roller skates

Sidewalk Chalk (I supply enough for the entire neighborhood - our driveway is always decorated!)

Bubbles and cool bubble wands

Cornhole

The game where you throw two balls tied together with a string around the stands - what's that game called?

Slip and Slide

Jump rope (although none of my children use these for anything but to tow things around)

Balls of various sizes

• Like 2

If your tween isn't sporty, what active things do they like to do outside? My kid initially liked Pokemon Go, but she has since lost interest. She spends a lot of her outside time reading a book, and as much as I love her love of reading, I'd love to help her find more movement in her day. 

Tetherball

Pet

Trampoline

Swing (My 13yo dd really likes our big tree swing.)

Rollerblades/Skates

Bike

Basketball hoop

So many outdoor things really require more than one person - is there something you guys can do together?

A trampoline works wonders here.  For the non-sporty introverts almost more so than the sporty types.  

A big swing from a tree, like BlsdMama said, or maybe one of those sky chair type spinning swings.  I guess I'm thinking not the swingset type of swing, mainly.  I could see that having more appeal to an introvert tween.

A dog that needs exercise.  We have recently acquired a 9 month old pup, who needs some serious activity.  Keeping her entertained is work!  But the kids (tweens) all enjoy it.  We are thinking of possibly heading into agility courses with her, as she gets older, so that would keep the kids pretty busy, if they decide that's what they want to do.

For me, growing up and being like your DD - horses.  But that's not always doable.  :)  Still, the work they entailed made me active.  It might have been different if we'd had to board them elsewhere.

Family hikes.  Family exploring.  Family bike rides.  Family canoeing/kayaking.  Any of those appeal?

• Like 1

So many outdoor things really require more than one person - is there something you guys can do together?

I'm having a baby this spring, and I often find it difficult to find a way to make active play with older kids work with a baby. She does have younger siblings. We don't have any kids on our block. There are a bunch of boys several blocks away in the neighborhood, but they are boys who spend most of their outside time playing street hockey, which she won't play. 

Bikes.

If there was nothing else, the bicycle wins everything.  My kids have explored every square inch of our community via bicycle.  Usually they are together or with friends, but DS loves to go for a long solo ride.  As long as they have their phones and a water bottle, they are free to ride wherever they want to.  I usually give them a time I'd like them to either check in with me or be home by. 

• Like 2

Our big trampoline sees massive amounts of use.  Even now, in the dead of winter, as long as it's not minus 10 or colder(that's Celsius), they use it.  

They also like to blow big (massive) bubbles and try to catch them.

I play catch and badminton and volleyball with them and they are getting to the point where they can play badminton with each other and actually have long rallies (before my participation was necessary to ensure some sort of rally).

We live in a very busy neighbourhood so they can't really leave on bikes/scooters/skateboards but they do for some reason enjoy walking up and down the block on both sides and collecting garbage with their garbage pickers.  Sometimes they take the dog for a few short jaunts up and down the block as well.

• Like 1

For us it's the trampoline hands down. I would replace this in a minute if it needed to be.  All the neighborhood kids come to play with her and her homeschool friends when they come over. They all gravitate towards it. 

My tween also has a pogo stick, bike, skates, swingset that she is too big for, but still gets on, lol. But the trampoline is what gets daily use. 

Soccer balls. She and neighbor girl will kick them back and forth to the preschoolers in the neighborhood while they are talking. 

• Like 2

Bikes, Ripstiks, pogo sticks, and stilts.

Also our tire swing (we've crammed up to six kiddos onto it, but it comfortably holds three..or one kiddo lying down).  We were given a second-hand swing set, but the tire swing is still a favorite.

https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Geometric-Climber-Center-Earthtone/dp/B004K0Q8LG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487874807&sr=8-2&keywords=jungle+gym

We have a small jungle gym, which is a draw for neighborhood kiddos - it's different than the standard trampoline that many have.  We do have a small exercise trampoline inside, and that gets a TON of use as well.  The jungle gym gets climbed, flipped off of, turned into an igloo, filled with leaves and crawled through. tied with ropes for a tightrope walker in their "circus", and a ton of other uses.  They seriously love this thing.

We hope to add a slack line in the not-too-distant future.  I'd love to add a zip line as well, but my husband isn't thrilled with that idea.

ETA: The pipes!  We have a bunch of PVC pipes cut into five-foot, three-foot, and two-foot lengths, and then a ton of different connectors.  They build structures, add sheets for forts, etc.  The pipes get a lot of use.

Edited by greenbeanmama
  • Like 1

Bikes are big, skating (roller and ice,) scooters, trampoline or bouncy house.  They also like anything that is like a fort.

I'm having my tween take a safe biking workshop so she can ride further afield this summer.  Even if she goes somewhere like the library or park to read, it means some exersize.

Trampoline is the hands down winner.  My tween ds will spend hours outside on it, jumping, telling himself action stories, having imaginary battles out there.  

Young teen dd is a little tougher.  Will get on the trampoline & jump for a little, then sit down and read.  Dh built the two of them a tree house that she loves to read in, but you have to climb a rope or climb up the rock climbing wall to get up there.

The two of them are allowed to ride bikes or walk to the park, the library, or the doughnut shop to meet friends, but they have to go together & have phones that they can use to check in.  The parks have trees to climb and creeks to explore (not right now with all the rain.)

We have a puppy that needs some walking/ playing with outside.

Dd also has dance 4.5 hours/ week and TKD 2 hours/ week.  

Spike Ball or Slammo is the current big hit with the tweens/ teens when we have beach days or park days.  

Amber in SJ

• Like 1

I'm currently sitting outside, in our gazebo, watching the kids jump on the trampoline.  It's definitely the winner here.  DS is newly 13, and uses it alone often, or with his younger sister.  We have a ton of tween kids here almost daily - the trampoline is in constant use.  There's a different vibe to the kids all visiting and gravitating to the trampoline - all the tweens love it, of course - but when DS is alone, he is using it like Amber in SJ describes.  He tells himself stories, has imaginary battles, makes up songs, he says it helps him think.  

We didn't have room for a trampoline till recently, so I get the not having space issue.  

What about more classes?  We are big, big parkour fans here.  Great for upper body strength, balance, visual coordination.  

• Like 1

They're out there playing some sort of game involving industrial cording leftover from something else, a salvaged lacrosse stick, and an old jacket. So... I'm going go with... random crap. Random is crap is what my tweens like to play with outside.

Well, yesterday the outdoor time here involved wigs and fake blood.

I kid you not. 

:)

• Like 5

They're out there playing some sort of game involving industrial cording leftover from something else, a salvaged lacrosse stick, and an old jacket. So... I'm going go with... random crap. Random is crap is what my tweens like to play with outside.

Yes, this. Mine have ripsticks, bikes, scooters, pogo sticks, and roller blades. But often their games involve things like "knocking each other off the wall they built from patio tiles". Or the new favorite is ripstick hockey with old hockey sticks and a basketball. 

Dh also made a corn hole game last year and that has been fun to do together. 

Testing paper airplane designs.  There's movement involved in retrieving them.

Tennis ... you can practice solo against a wall or garage door.  Also they can practice bouncing it up or down with control (think of those rubber band paddle balls)

Gardening isn't super active, but there's movement required ... especially if you are starting a garden from scratch.

Jump rope