Menu

Why is there an Orange is the New Black

bagel270

Before opening the thread I read just the title and thought "I have no idea why that show exits!" I gave that show three episodes and then gladly let it go. I don't see the appeal at all. I'm guessing SS throws stuff like that in there to try to amuse parents who are sitting through the show. I'm sure it all goes over the heads of the little ones. 

• Like 3

I'm with those who think it's just to be funny for the adults and that the kids aren't meant to get it. I mean, the Mad Men one was cute - it was about emotions and rhymes. Adults get to chuckle at the references. Older kids get to feel like they knew about a culturally relevant show without actually knowing a thing. Younger kids get a cute skit about some educational topic.

• Like 6

They once had a Sons of Anarchy bit on Sesame Street! SOA is 100 times more violent and twisted than OITNB, but the SS version was just muppets in leather jackets w a nice message about morals or phonics or both.

It's fine. Four year olds don't do much intertextuality.

• Like 5

They had a game of thrones one and mad men one before. They were funny and the kids had no idea what they were a parody of. And they weren't offensive at all

I know when I was a kid, this was true with The Muppets. My parents loved to laugh at the witty reparté, such as the two guys who sat in the balcony seat. Those jokes were always for the adults and we never got them, but it also didn't hurt anything. We were laughing at Fozz-ee-bear and Gonzo.

• Like 3