Menu

Fraudulent charges on new card before I received it???

Liz CA

I had to have my card blocked and replaced (AGAIN) and today I found a fraudulent charge for a date before I even received the card. I have made a grand total of 2 charges and now it is blocked again!

How can this even happen?

Before you ask what websites I frequent, it is almost exclusively Amazon. And I have not even entered this card on Amazon since both charges I made were local.

I had to have my card blocked and replaced (AGAIN) and today I found a fraudulent charge for a date before I even received the card. I have made a grand total of 2 charges and now it is blocked again!

How can this even happen?

Before you ask what websites I frequent, it is almost exclusively Amazon. And I have not even entered this card on Amazon since both charges I made were local.

I'd consider changing banks/credit card companies. If the card was compromised before you even received, seems like the security breech is on their end, not yours.

The last time my debit card was compromised, the bank called me. They told me that a vendor I recently purchased from had been hacked. But they weren't allowed to tell me what store that was!

• Like 9

I'd consider changing banks/credit card companies. If the card was compromised before you even received, seems like the security breech is on their end, not yours.

The last time my debit card was compromised, the bank called me. They told me that a vendor I recently purchased from had been hacked. But they weren't allowed to tell me what store that was!

:iagree:

Yeah, I think it is often databases that are hacked or computer algorithms to figure out card info, not always vendors. My parents cards were breached. Both at the same time. My Dad has actually never used his card or even carried it - it was in the lock box at home and has a different number than my mom's but is on the same account. But foreign charges showed up on both card numbers, so the breach was definitely not on my parents' end.

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 2

It could have been a charge that was made while they were in the process of swapping your account to the new number, and so they applied it to the new card w/o checking with you first. I wouldn't necessarily think the card got compromised already, more that whoever made the original fraudulent charges made another one, the bank/cc company let it through to the new number, and now you're stuck. 

Hopefully they can fix it w/o too much further hassle for you. It really stinks. 

• Like 2

It could have been a charge that was made while they were in the process of swapping your account to the new number, and so they applied it to the new card w/o checking with you first. I wouldn't necessarily think the card got compromised already, more that whoever made the original fraudulent charges made another one, the bank/cc company let it through to the new number, and now you're stuck. 

Hopefully they can fix it w/o too much further hassle for you. It really stinks. 

FWIW - They generally don't do this (old number charges put on the new card); the whole idea of the new number is that you have to start all over again, including moving all of your recurring charges to the new card.  It's a huge pain.

OP - so sorry you're dealing with this!!!!

• Like 1

I agree. If you hadn't received it yet it shouldn't even have been active.
  • Like 1

FWIW - They generally don't do this (old number charges put on the new card); the whole idea of the new number is that you have to start all over again, including moving all of your recurring charges to the new card.  It's a huge pain.

OP - so sorry you're dealing with this!!!!

Sorry I don't know how to nested quote, but that exact scenario actually happened to us with Chase bank and that was how it was described to us. We canceled a card due to fraudulent Herbalife charges and what showed up again on the brand new card the following month in identical amounts? That's right, Herbalife, and Chase was like, "Oh, they just got pushed through since the cards were attached to the same account." It was so STUPID I could not believe it, especially in this day and age when cancelling a card due to fraud is so routine. It was enraging.

Some harsh words were said (by me) and they cancelled out the card again and issued a new, de-linked card, and we have not had Herbalife charges again. 

• Like 5

If it's not from a linked card or someone hacking the company, it might be from someone stealing your mail.

Social security numbers are public record if you're registered to vote, so if you know someone's name and address and have access to their mail it's not difficult to activate anything you want.

• Like 1

Sorry I don't know how to nested quote, but that exact scenario actually happened to us with Chase bank and that was how it was described to us. We canceled a card due to fraudulent Herbalife charges and what showed up again on the brand new card the following month in identical amounts? That's right, Herbalife, and Chase was like, "Oh, they just got pushed through since the cards were attached to the same account." It was so STUPID I could not believe it, especially in this day and age when cancelling a card due to fraud is so routine. It was enraging.

Some harsh words were said (by me) ...

Wow, that is crazy!  The card company would have had to eat the charges AGAIN.  Hopefully this was an anomaly and not the standard way they operate.