Menu

ISO: wide cheese slicer that has a blade, not a wire

Chelle in MO

We buy Tillamook cheddar in 2 1/2 lb. blocks from Costco, and wire cheese slicers don't last long when used on them.  I'd love to find a cheese plane that would do the job, but it seems the ones that are readily available aren't wide enough. The block is approx. 3 X 31/2 in. 

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

• Like 1

I have a few like this. They are wonderful with hard cheeses like cheddar, swiss, jarlsberg, etc.  For wide blocks of cheese you can simply cut them into more manageable widths to slice. You avoid slicing down and making a "valley" in the cheese that way.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SSYY88/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_b1DNY_c_x_3_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=HQGRDDE52DKARHBSNZ32&pf_rd_r=HQGRDDE52DKARHBSNZ32&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=28b33a99-11c9-4c8e-862f-df7605b89340&pf_rd_p=28b33a99-11c9-4c8e-862f-df7605b89340&pf_rd_i=289760

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

It is a wire, but works great for the Tillamook at Costco. 

Search on amazon....

Bellemain Adjustable Thickness Cheese Slicer - Replacement Stainless Steel Cutting Wire Included.   You just set it to the thickness you want and then tighten into place.  Thickness can be changed, but requires some effort to do so. The nice thing about that is, that it doesn't self adjust when you are trying to use it.  Very sturdy and comes with a replacement wire. We use it all the time on the large blocks and haven't had to use the replacement wire yet. 
  • Like 1

Got a cuisinart?

Unfortunately, no. Thanks for the reply, though!

I have a few like this. They are wonderful with hard cheeses like cheddar, swiss, jarlsberg, etc.  For wide blocks of cheese you can simply cut them into more manageable widths to slice. You avoid slicing down and making a "valley" in the cheese that way.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SSYY88/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_b1DNY_c_x_3_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=HQGRDDE52DKARHBSNZ32&pf_rd_r=HQGRDDE52DKARHBSNZ32&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=28b33a99-11c9-4c8e-862f-df7605b89340&pf_rd_p=28b33a99-11c9-4c8e-862f-df7605b89340&pf_rd_i=289760

Thank you!  I'll check into that.

It is a wire, but works great for the Tillamook at Costco. 

Search on amazon....

Bellemain Adjustable Thickness Cheese Slicer - Replacement Stainless Steel Cutting Wire Included.   You just set it to the thickness you want and then tighten into place.  Thickness can be changed, but requires some effort to do so. The nice thing about that is, that it doesn't self adjust when you are trying to use it.  Very sturdy and comes with a replacement wire. We use it all the time on the large blocks and haven't had to use the replacement wire yet. 

Thanks!  It helps to know you have first-hand experience!

Another word about the Cutco cheese knife.  The cut-outs keep the cheese from sticking to the blade.  The overall wideness keeps the knife from turning as you cut, giving very smooth, even slices.

I'm not voting against the other suggestion, as I've never tried them.  But, I love my Cutco cheese knife, and use it for a lot more than just cheese!  It's my go-to knife for all sorts of things.

• Like 1

Another word about the Cutco cheese knife.  The cut-outs keep the cheese from sticking to the blade.  The overall wideness keeps the knife from turning as you cut, giving very smooth, even slices.

I'm not voting against the other suggestion, as I've never tried them.  But, I love my Cutco cheese knife, and use it for a lot more than just cheese!  It's my go-to knife for all sorts of things.

Thank you for the information!  It really sounds like something worth trying!

https://www.cutco.com/products/thumbnail.jsp?shop=cheese-knives&compare=all#sm.0000yn5buil4se6qxnh2hvtqs8ybt

We have both of these, but with dark handles.

The squarish one is our fave, more than the Nike-swoosh one

I only have the Nike swoosh one and I already think it's pretty fantastic.  I guess I may have to acquire a square one just to see what I'm missing out on.

• Like 2

We have this one, and it works on the big blocks of cheese. I have, and love, the pampered chef cheese knife, but my husband likes this one a lot better. It does sometimes cause the cheese to crumble, but I think that's a factor of costco semi-freezing their cheese, not of the blade itself. 

https://www.amazon.com/ZYLISS-Dial-Slice-Cheese-Slicer/dp/B000HVDZTU/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1487776938&sr=8-11&keywords=adjustable+cheese+slicer

• Like 1

We have this one, and it works on the big blocks of cheese. I have, and love, the pampered chef cheese knife, but my husband likes this one a lot better. It does sometimes cause the cheese to crumble, but I think that's a factor of costco semi-freezing their cheese, not of the blade itself. 

https://www.amazon.com/ZYLISS-Dial-Slice-Cheese-Slicer/dp/B000HVDZTU/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1487776938&sr=8-11&keywords=adjustable+cheese+slicer

Thanks!  

That's interesting about the crumbling..ours doesn't do that.

Why are the cutco knives so expensive? $75+ for a cheese knife- ouch!

Yikes!  I hadn't looked at the price.Guess it won't be on my birthday list after all! 

Edited by Chelle in MO

Why are the cutco knives so expensive? $75+ for a cheese knife- ouch!

They are guaranteed forever.  If their knife ever breaks, they will replace it, period.  They will sharpen it forever -- you just have to pay shipping.

My mom had a couple Cutco knives she got as wedding gifts in 1952.  We found them a couple years ago when she moved out of our house into a retirement home.  One had the blade completely broken off and the other was dull.  We sent them to the company, and they sent her two brand new knives.  It had been 60 years!!!!  I think we paid $7.00 for return shipping.  That is customer service.  

I have a complete set of their knives.  I put them in the dishwasher over and over again, with no ill effect.  The blades have a special edge that doesn't get dull, except after years and years of use.  (then, again, you just send it in and they'll sharpen it for free).  

You get what you pay for.  They are excellent knives.  

• Like 1

Thanks!  

That's interesting about the crumbling..ours doesn't do that.

Yikes!  I hadn't looked at the price.Guess it won't be on my birthday list after all! 

Yes they are pricey and I ignored them for a long time but I got so tired of fighting for a cheese knife I broke down and bought one.  When it came and sliced through a block of sharp cheddar with about as much effort as cold butter, I was hooked.  Plus it's does fabulous on tomatoes or chopping onions really fine (without sliding off and hitting my fingers).  Anyways, I have 4 knives, a cheese knife, a small chef knife, a paring knife and a bread knife.  That's it.  I have two blocks of other knives that just sit and collect dust because those 4 knives do everything I need.  And trust me those 4 knives even being as expensive as they are were still cheaper than the block of knives that sits unused on my counter.

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 1