Menu

How to Begin a Clean & Healthy Eating Plan

Joyfullyblessed

Hello,

I really need some input please. I need & want to lose quite a bit of weight, eating healthier & exercising. However, I want to do this in a way that will be a lifestyle change for our family, not just a diet.

I'm hoping that losing weight will allow me to have more energy, not feel tired so much, focus better & just be a better version of me overall. This is important so that I can also be at my best for not only myself, but for others as well.

I would love to hear some advice on the best way to plan for & begin a cleaner way of eating & healthier lifestyle. I don't think I necessarily want to do Whole 30 or Paleo, but I don't mind taking a few ideas from those plans & incorporating them into our new, healthy lifestyle either..... if that's even possible.

Anyway, I'd love some help, some friendly & doable advice. Thanks so much & everyone have a wonderful day! 😊ðŸ˜

• Like 1

You'll get a lot of different suggestions, I'm sure, but my personal top recommendation would be to cut out sugars and sweeteners in all of their various forms. Sugar makes me gain weight like nothing else. And using non-caloric sweeteners just keeps the appetite/craving for sweets activated, so I've found that it's just easier to give those up too.

Of course, that's a "what to do" recommendation more than a "how to" so maybe that's not quite what you're asking for. As far as the how-to side of things goes, I keep fresh fruit and unsweetened dried fruit on hand for when I want something sweet. I like things like La Croix and flavored but not sweetened teas (like peach tea, but sans sweetener) instead of sodas and sweet teas. I like Lara bars as an occasional treat - many of their flavors have no added sugar at all, just fruit.

• Like 2

I am a big fan of No S. You can get fancier but if you're avoiding sugar and snacks ( which are often not good choices) you're on the right track. Beyond that just choosing to eat more fruits and veg and fewer creamy, starchy items gets you almost there and you didn't drive yourself or your family crazy, spend money or extra time, or have to defend your choices. I also find picking one or two meals for breakfast and lunch and repeating them ( if they are healthy) removes the excitement which allows you to eat because you are hungry. Just my $.02. Don't over complicate it all.

• Like 6

Another vote for generally eliminating sugar from your diet. Assuming you don't have other allergies/sensitivities, reducing/eliminating sugar will give you the biggest bang for your buck so to speak, and it's the one thing that almost everybody agrees with.

Eat more vegetables, and presto! Your diet has dreastically improved!

Anne

• Like 3

It really depends on what your diet looks like currently.  For long term changes I'd start slowly. If you drink soda or other sugary drinks that would be the first thing I'd personally eliminate.  I only drink water, coffee, and tea on a regular basis. I have an alcoholic beverage once or twice a week but I go for drink that aren't heavily sweetened like an old fashioned.  I rarely drink soda or juice.

If you are already at that point then I'd focus on not eating often. It is hard to eat healthy if you regularly eating out because of convenience, unless you are disciplined to make healthy choices from menus. 

Next I'd start making veggies the main part of every meal.

• Like 6

I started off by eliminating all soda, all chips and anything in a box (like mac n cheese, crackers, cookies, crutons, cake mix, pancake mix, etc). 

I also cut out most canned foods (beans and tuna being the exception).  If I can't get my veggies fresh, then I opt for frozen. 

No white rice or white bread.  Actually now, I only eat bread I make from wheat I grind (doc suspects I have MTHFR so nothing enriched). 

I also avoid hidden sugars like salad dressing, jams/jellies, most peanut butters, most applesauce, juices, and ketchup. 

I eat at least 1 salad a day (raw veggies), either lunch or dinner and make sure there are steamed or raw veggies for dinner.   

I do love chocolate, but I switched to good quality dark chocolate and limit how much of that I eat. 

Alcohol has quite a bit of sugar, so if you enjoy a glass of wine or some such beverage, consider cutting that out too. 

Milk?  Not sure where that falls on clean eating.  When I do buy milk, it is organic whole milk.  But, I also like unsweetened almond milk. 

Don't get stuck in a rut.  Rotate proteins and veggies.  Try new things.  

I feel better for eating better.  I've done this "diet" for several years now.  And I'm not losing weight.  I sat with my functional medicine doctor just prior to Thanksgiving and looked at ways to improve my eating with weight loss in mind.  We talked about switching from rolled oats to steel cut.  But, we couldn't find too many ways to clean up my eating.  Perhaps portions?  I guess I just want to encourage you to eat clean and healthy.  If weight loss follows, that is great!!  If not, then your body being healthier will be great!!

• Like 3

Cut out highly processed foods, fast food, sweets, sweetened drinks. Limit eating out.

Replace by food cooked from scratch from ingredients as close as possible to their natural state, incorporate lots of fresh veggies and fruit.

Spend time moving outside each day.

Spend a weekend day doing something active together as a family.

Neither of these requires a "plan" or "program". 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 7

I also wanted to add, I've read a lot of diet/nutrition/health books over the years, and this one is my favorite:  https://www.amazon.com/Obesity-Code-Unlocking-Secrets-Weight/dp/1771641258

It's harder for me to pick just one book about exercise, but I think I'd go with this one:  https://www.amazon.com/First-20-Minutes-Surprising-Exercise/dp/0142196754/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487717226&sr=1-1&keywords=the+first+twenty+minutes

May I ask why you don't want to try Whole30?  I have done several and based on your goals, I feel like it aligns well.  *To me* it is a very doable starting point - you know for sure what you can and cannot eat for just one month and based on how you feel you can add some things or steer clear of other things.  The energy I feel two weeks into a Whole30 alone is a great motivator :)

• Like 1

Since you're asking about changes for your entire family, I'd start with cutting out processed foods.  If you used to buy a frozen lasagna, now make one from scratch with real ingredients.  Choose a pre-made spaghetti  sauce with only ingredients you can pronounce and understand.  Add a salad on the side instead of bread.  If the family revolts, make your own garlic bread using butter, garlic, and bread from the bakery.   Keep making small changes until you get rid of all of the processed foods.  At the same time, increase your water intake and add another serving of veggies to each dinner.    If you have littles, take them for a walk, bike, or wagon ride in the early evening.  This did wonders for "the witching hour".   Hope these things help as you find what works best for your family. 

I also wanted to add, I've read a lot of diet/nutrition/health books over the years, and this one is my favorite:  https://www.amazon.com/Obesity-Code-Unlocking-Secrets-Weight/dp/1771641258

It's harder for me to pick just one book about exercise, but I think I'd go with this one:  https://www.amazon.com/First-20-Minutes-Surprising-Exercise/dp/0142196754/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487717226&sr=1-1&keywords=the+first+twenty+minutes

Can you tell me the jist of the first book?

What does he recommend?  I am looking at it, but don't want to order just yet.

I've done various things over the years to improve my, and my family's, diet. It hasn't all "stuck", at least not the first time anyway, but over time there has been a definite improvement.

One of the first things I did was to add more vegetables to our dinners. When our oldest was a baby and starting to eat table foods I realized that I didn't want her eating a lot of what my DH and I were eating (a lot of processed packaged foods) so I started cooking more vegetables.

A few years ago I cut added sugar out of my diet for a month. I still ate carbs naturally occurring in foods but added sugars were out. This included sugar, HFCS, maple syrup, honey, stevia, and sugars under names like dextrose and fructose. I read labels carefully. This really limited snack foods and I had to come up with healthier alternatives. I didn't stick with this long term but it did help me reduce the overall amount of sugar and processed foods I ate.

For a while I was planning at least two vegetarian dinners a week. This helped me focus meals around vegetables more and I added more healthy recipes to my repertoire.

I switched to mostly whole grains. I buy whole wheat pasta, whole wheat tortillas, brown rice, and make my own bread with flour I grind myself. I still use a little white flour (for the texture) when I make things like pizza dough, pancakes, and muffins but we don't eat those things often and I use at least half whole wheat flour.

Over the years I've gradually cut packaged and sugary foods. I usually do one at a time to give us a chance to get used to it. The most recent was switching flavored yogurt to plain.

I did the Whole30 twice. I found quite a few recipes we all really liked that have stayed in the rotation.

Currently, my goal is to eat vegetables at every meal. Most days I can do it. Breakfast is the hard one but I'm getting better at it.

Changing eating habits can be a long process. Some changes won't last the first time. Sometimes we slip back into bad habits for a while. I can see a big difference from a few years ago though. What I consider "cheating" now is what I would have considered pretty healthy five years ago.

Can you tell me the jist of the first book?

What does he recommend?  I am looking at it, but don't want to order just yet.

Sure!  He also has several YouTube videos up where he gives out a lot of the same information that's in the book, in case you prefer that format.

Basically, on the theory side of things, he does go into some detail about how our culture's obsession with calories is misguided, and about the *huge* role that chronically elevated insulin plays in driving weight gain.  I'm a biology nerd so I love that stuff.  YMMV.  Basically, he argues that while obesity has multiple causes, insulin levels are the biggest factor.  So the approach he recommends is meant to lower your insulin levels.  

On the practical side of things, his top recommendation was what I said above:  no sugars of any kind (sucrose, high fructose corn syrup, maple syrup, agave, none of it) and no non-caloric sweeteners either (whether that's aspartame or the ones we all think are healthy like stevia) because things that are that sweet create an insulin response even when they don't contain calories.  Sweets are highly obesogenic, so he strongly recommends strictly avoiding them, though fruit (not fruit juice) is fine.

His second recommendation is:  no snacking.  Every time you eat your body releases a large amount of insulin in response.  That's normal and good, but when you eat constantly, snack between meals, eat six small meals instead of three larger ones, etc. that means your body's insulin level is not going down low again between meals as it should, because it takes several hours for that to happen.  So he says to eat no more than three times a day, and two is fine if you prefer it.  He says that some people are naturally inclined to skip breakfast, and if you're one of those people, that's fine, skip breakfast.  Confine your "eating hours" to no more than 12 per day, so that it's balanced by 12 hours (or more) of fasting, so that your insulin levels drop to healthy low levels overnight.

Once you've given your body a chance to get used to that, then he recommends intermittent fasting.  Personally, I have not proceeded to that step (attempting to do so triggers a migraine for me, but fasting is perfectly healthy for most people) but I have been able to lose/maintain weight by just following the first two steps, without any fasting.  He does give some very good information about fasting at the end of the book, and he also has a whole separate book just about fasting.

Oh, also, he recommends (no surprise here, really) whole grains only, and in moderation.  White flours cause a very high insulin response, so they are also best avoided or strictly limited.  He does not prohibit dairy, meat, or caffeine, and in fact he cites studies showing that eating whole fat dairy is protective against weight gain.  Meat gets mixed results in studies, so he recommends grass-fed rather than grain-fed meats (assuming you have access and can afford them).  But meat is not the major culprit, and he believes it is fine in moderation.  Caffeinated beverages are also fine as long as they are not sweetened.  

I think that's the main highlights, but let me know if you have any other questions!

• Like 1

Thank you all very much for the suggestions. And, I'm not choosing Whole 30 because I want something that is possible for my whole family to do without feeling so limited. For myself, I haven't completely ruled it out, but I would really have to have the right mindset to follow the plan. I'm going to really shoot for more fruits & veggies, cutting sugars, etc... and see how that goes first. Again, thanks to everyone! ðŸ‘ðŸ˜

Edited by Joyfullyblessed
  • Like 3

The easiest way for me to eat healthy is to find a short list of breakfasts and lunches/dinners that I enjoy and are easy, as well as a couple of emergency snacks that I like, and rotate them. So for breakfasts my choices include: a bowl of berries, a grapefruit or citrus salad, scrambled eggs with salsa or an omelet full of sautéed veggies, an apple with peanut butter. For lunch I either have a salad with loads of different veggies (I prep these all one day and put in containers in fridge for the week) or a soup loaded with veggies or a bowl of roasted veggies. I usually add some protein (chicken, turkey, salmon, beans, or tuna) on the salad or in the soup. Dinner is usually whatever protein I'm feeding my family and 2 veg or veg and a salad. I make my own clean dressing. If I make it easy, I stick with it. And I really feel great eating like this.

We have our ups and downs in our house.  :)   We're on a bit of a down right now, but climbing back up.

For us, whole grains are a big deal.  That was a difficult switch for dh, but he got used to it after a while.  Cooking from scratch is important (to us.) We still have our blah nights when we throw together processed foods or order in, but the large majority of our food is made from simple ingredients.

One of the things I've gotten away from and need to get back to this week is keeping things ready in the fridge and freezer.  Usually some cooked brown rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes, and various cooked proteins that any of us can toss together in no more time than it takes to nuke a hot pocket or whatever.  Because we *like* healthy foods, but we're a very lazy family when we're hungry!

I don't watch my kids' portion sizes and I don't believe in counting calories as a lifestyle, but I do find it important to "check in" every now and then to re-calibrate my eyes/mouth/stomach.  The farther I get from my last "check in", the larger my bowl of pasta or plate of cheese seems to become.  ;)   Periodically measuring and counting usually saves me from going off the deep end.

Once a month cooking.

Make your own snacks.

Whole30 permanently changed the way we eat.

DON'T BUY THINGS YOU SHOULDN'T EAT. No cookies, chips or soda. Just don't have them in the house.

Log your food into My Fitness Pal or Lose It. Both are free.

C25K is free but you'll need good running shoes. P90X is my favorite and most highly recommend workout program but most people reject it because of time or cost. Insanity Max 30 is awesome. I'm enjoying DDP Yoga and you *will* lose weight if you do it.

Another vote here to gradually letting go of using sugar or sweeteners, and carbohydrates in general, which turn into sugars.  Everyone's body processes food a little differently, so from my experience I think it's very important to keep noticing how you feel when you make a change in your diet.  

I am experimenting with eliminating most dairy products, except goat milk and lactose free organic kefir.  In part because I can tell I don't digest milk well, and I've been reading that cow's milk translates very quickly into fat in the body.   

And, am about to start lifting small weights daily, as I hear from friends, this is helping them lose weight.  

. And, I'm not choosing Whole 30 because I want something that is possible for my whole family to do without feeling so limited.

Also, I have seen no evidence that it is healthy to eliminate grains, legumes, and dairy from the diet. Most people can safely consume these foods, and a vegetarian would likely find it impossible to get enough calories and protein without them.

• Like 3

Make small changes, one at a time. You don't have to do all the things right now. Whatever you do, make sure it's sustainable over the long term. Ask yourself, "Can I see myself living like this for the rest of my life?" Another corollary question to ask yourself is "Will this make me feel deprived?" I have found it's easier to maintain if the answer to those questions are yes and no respectively.

• Like 2