Menu

Living in a home with one bathroom

sassenach

The only way I can imagine it working is this:

Bathrooms are for water only.  Water in the sink, water in the toilet, water in the shower.

If you are brushing your teeth (or using mouthwash), you can be in the bathroom.  Flossing is outside of the bathroom.

If you are washing your face, you can be in the bathroom.  If you are putting cream on the washed face, that is outside of the bathroom.

If you are showering, you can be in the bathroom.  If you are dressing, you do that outside of the bathroom.

I was an only child, and that's how my parents and I worked it.  I never even knew that people dressed or put on makeup or did anything in bathrooms except use the water.  There was a hamper outside of the bathroom.  When the shower was done, you'd walk past it with a towel on your head and another one wrapped around your body and pop your clothes in the hamper on the way to your room to get dressed, put on makeup, dry hair etc, for the day.

There would have to be a rule that reading material of any sort (book, magazine, phone, ipad) is banned from the bathroom.  Left at the door.

Yup. This. They invented bathrobes for this reason.

And just being considerate!

"I'm getting ready to take a poo. Does anyone need to pee really quick?" sounds weird to type it out, but that's how it works.

• Like 2

We have 6-7 people (2 adults, 2-3 teens, and 9 and 6yos) and 2 bathrooms.  It's not at all uncommon for there to be a wait while both are occupied.  Every day, our master bathroom gets used by more than just the masters, because downstairs is occupied.  But it's only fair to point out that it's usually the younger kids who are in a hurry.

They get muddy and gross playing outside, and it's part of their bedtime routine with daddy which is the main time they spend with him each day. Hair is not washed daily, but the baths are totally non-negotioable for everyone but Benjamin.

Cutting down on baths or making an alternating schedule wouldn't be a good fit for us. I have a hard enough time kissing dirty children, let alone letting them climb into bed with dirt, body odor, drool, or any food bits still stuck on. Gag!

You pull the curtain so someone can pee. I was pregnant in most of our one bathroom houses and while dh was showering in the morning, I'd slip in.

We're a family of 4 in 750 square feet with one bathroom.  For a while we were a family of 5 with one bathroom.   It's doable but sometimes it's a PITA.

Especially when oldest dd was living here - we ask if anyone needs to use the bathroom before going in to shower but we still occasionally have someone pop in while someone else is in the shower.

If Dh just needs to pee and someone is in there, he might use the "other bathroom" -  go outside.  We don't have close neighbors so that works.

We've never had multiple family members with stomach bugs so I guess we lucked out there.

Ds does camp out but he does it late, so everyone else gets to use the bathroom for before bed stuff before he's allowed in there.  Then he can take as long as he wants.

I've been living her for 12 years so I guess I'm pretty used to it by now.  The bigger problem is that if our power goes out we have no water, which means no flushing.  THAT has occasionally caused trouble.

well...I live in a 2000 sq ft house with three bathrooms for family of six and I am glad to have all three...

BUT- I grew up in a house with just one bathroom for 5 of us.  I can hardly remember an issue.  There would be a little talk at night to make sure wake up times for showers were coordinated but we all got up and showered and out of the house every morning just fine.  I think I would dry and style my hair and do makeup/contacts in my bedroom.  I do not remember it being a big issue and I will add that my family members were not particularly considerate and respectful in general so I doubt there was much more than cursory thought given to working around each other.  We were also huge prudes- it would not have been okay for people to mention publicly that they had to use the bathroom let alone for the boys to go outside or anything.

While I would not choose to go back to that I think we must have gotten soft in our ability to wait or something.  Maybe another first world problem of expecting immediate access to the facilities at all times?  I also shared one bathroom with three other girls in college and never remember a bathroom problem.  

I think it is doable.

• Like 1

We can't install them but I think that's where we will have to go. Tooth brushing at the kitchen sink, me doing all hair and makeup in our bedroom, and bathroom for toilet and showers only. It will be a big adjustment but the more it sucks the more motivated we will be to get our house built quickly ;)

You don't have to install anything.  When I was a child my mother had one from the 50's that she never used because we had plenty of bathroom space.   It was a bean shaped table with a curtain/skirt attached to the edge of the table top.   I thought it was the most romantic thing ever to have fabric hanging from a table.  Oh, and a mirror.  Any table in front of a mirror hung on the wall would do.   With some boxes to corral grooming stuff.  

The edge of the table had a strip of snaps attached to it and the curtain had snaps on it.  I guess so that you could wash the makeup/hairspray/stuff from the fabric.  I used to pull the curtain off just to reattach it.  

I have to say, it might be interesting with one of my kids, who takes a long time for #2.  Hate to rush her, as she says it gives her "problems," but if we had a big household and only 1 bathroom, it could get complicated.  :)  I guess we'd just make everyone else go before her.  :)

I grew up with 7 people (5 kids) in a one bathroom house. We did have a second toilet that could be used for emergencies, but it really belonged to the uncle who rented a room.

The morning routine never seemed to be much of a problem. My dad got up early before the kids and was done before we woke up. Kids took baths/showers at night. I think mom usually waited to shower until we all left for school. One thing that was helpful was a shower curtain that could not be seen through. Although not the most desirable, one person could use the facilities when someone was showering.

Illness never seemed to be much of an issue. Sometimes a line would develop, but I guess we just learned not to take a long time in the bathroom.

Edited by City Mouse

Didn't read all comments but skimmed... am I the only one *currently* living in a one bathroom/ one toilet home?

Anyway, we are 5 people. One toilet in our dwelling. And the toilet is the important thing IMO. I do not feel sorry for people with 1.5 bathrooms. Lol.

It can be very hard at times. It's not a great toilet in the first place, so besides having to hold it while someone finishes, the toilet has a weak flush and clogs regularly. Overall it's pretty minor compared to other stuff but I guess it just depends on your ideas about standard of living.

I would say get a good strong healthy toilet if at all possible if you're only going to have one.

Well we are a family of 7 and we can do one bathroom on vacation.   I am sure we could do it in real life but it would stink.

Some people take forever in the bathroom and then everyone seems to need to go at the same time.

we have 2.5 now and i wish we had more.

Oh and we all just had the flu so it was nice to have extra bathrooms when someone was sick in one. 

We are 8 people (6 kids) in a one bathroom house.  We have always had a one bathroom house, so no one was able to develop a habit of being in the bathroom a long time.

Our rules are:

most urgent goes first (like when we get home from somewhere, which is usually me after 6 kids!)

If a person is in the bathroom WAIT PATIENTLY unless there is an emergency. 

If someone says it is an emergency, they mean it, wash your hands in the mud room!

If you are getting ready to get in the shower, no one can come in.  If you are in the shower with the water running and curtain closed, people may come in, if you are out and getting dressed people have to wait. There have been times when the person in the shower is like "Would you hurry up, the hot water is running out :lol:

I have two boys who frequently choose to just pee outside rather than wait if it is dark (or an emergency)

For those who prefer to have more private showers, they have learned to take them at not peak times and to announce they are getting into the shower so people can use the bathroom first.  As far as sickness goes Knock on wood, we haven't had two that have had to use the toilet at the same time to where someone couldn't give.  We have had them on the toilet and puking in the hallway into a bucket, but is always just seems like they can quickly switch.

How hard is it? We live in a high, high, HIGH COL area.

This isn't a JAWM, but I really need to hear from people who know what it's like to have to stretch to buy a house. If you live in 2000 sq feet and just can't imagine how you would live without 3 bathrooms, you are not really the audience I'm shooting for. I say this in the friendliest way possible  :D .

That said, we're a family of 6. One is moving out soon and one doesn't use the bathroom for anything other than once a week showers. That leaves 4 people with full-time bathroom use.

We have never lived in a 1 bathroom place. Even the 800sq foot slanted cabin that we lived for 3 months miraculously had 2 bathrooms. We're finding that our price range is not producing any 2 bathroom options. Or the houses with 2 bathrooms are eliminated for other more important reasons.

So, to my surprise, we're seriously thinking of putting in an offer on a 3/1. But I am really concerned about life with 2 teens, 2 adults, and one bathroom. I mean, I can imagine how to make it work in the hygiene/shower sense. It's stuff like, what if 2 people are having stomach issues at the same time? What do you do with people [ahem, men] who take a loooong time to get business done?

How often will I curse only having one bathroom? 

My mother grew up in a 3 bedroom/1 bathroom place. They had 3 adults/3 kids there. (And she lived there until she got married, so at the most-people point it would be 4 adults, 1 teenager, 1 middle school kid.

ETA: and that was still the house they lived in when we came to visit -- so 6 people, 4 adults, 2 kids. Again, I don't remember any problems

Edited by vonfirmath

We've got 5 people and 2 toilets one upstairs and one downstairs and a separate room with a bath/shower and sink upstairs. The downstairs toilet doesn't get used anywhere near as much because it's freezing in the winter and just feels tucked out of the way. All rooms are teeny tiny, it's a small house but having the two separate rooms upstairs is the thing that makes it work fine.

I have the experience of living in a very high COL area so I can totally see where you're coming from here. Really. But having one bathroom b/w the 4 of us was a *huge* struggle and Dh was gone during work hours. We were saved by the fact that a) we had a community pool w/ bathrooms that were somehow left unlocked at almost all hours so we could run down to that (down a small hill) if needed for a toilet  b) we were across the street from lots of stores so we could go there when the pool was closed for the season. This required a bit less of an emergency situation though. 

The kids always got precedence as they had less ability to hold it, we only used the bathroom for toilet/shower (no grooming, teeth brushing, etc as a pp also mentioned), and we staggered when we ate or drank things that may not agree with us (ahem, morning coffee) so no one had to "go" at the same time, if avoidable.

I'd also hesitate b/c of resale value. When we were looking for a home, we really wanted to get close to Dh's work but all the homes in our price range were very old 1950s one-bathroom style. We saw those stay on the market for a *long* time b/c they don't really work for a lot of people.  We are fine with <1000 sq. feet but we really need more than 1 toilet. 

I grew up in a family of 7-ish with one bathroom.  For many years in the winter, it turned into "one outhouse" when the water froze.

It can be done.  People need to be reasonable and little kids have to be trained not to hog the bathroom.  We were rural so there was plenty of peeing outside (even in winter).

We are a family of four in an 800 square foot house with one bathroom. We downsized from a home that was around 3000 square feet with three and a half baths. Two of those baths were really never even used. I think 1 and a half is really nice and 2 full bathrooms would be a luxury (at least for a family of 4). One has been totally fine.

We announce showers so every one gets a chance to go first. 2-3 of us can get showers in a row if needed, but hot water will run out on 4th (or 3rd person if the showers get too long, so the slowpoke goes last).

Haven't had a flu or stomach bug all at once type issue. That doesn't sound fun but hasn't come up in the five years we have been here with elementary/middle school ages. Urgency comes up, but we name it to claim it in the car (I get to go first when we get home!)

Seriously it is fine. Almost all of our parents grew up this way. I prefer having less bathrooms to clean and everyone having their own bathroom seems a bit ridiculous to me. I am sure for larger families there is an ideal toilet to person ratio lol... Most of your life bathrooms will be shared (siblings, roommates, spouses, random strangers at the stores) so I don't see the point in giving each of my kids their own bathroom now, although they would love that I am sure!

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 1

Our first house had 1 bathroom.  With two little ones who had to go as soon as they had to go, it was tough. I still remember DH taking them out to pee in the yard when they were little because I was showering or whatever.  

Then our next house had 1.25 bathrooms (one full bathroom and one just toilet, not even a sink!)  It was right off the laundry area, so DH ended up stacking the washer/dryer and installing a shower there, just a shower.  So at least we had another shower and toilet area.

And there were only 4 of us at the time.

I would look at any way possible to install something else.  A friend put in a toilet in his laundry room, there was a laundry sink there.  But no shower, at least another toilet.

I grew up in a house with one bathroom, four people. We staggered our showering times in the morning. The only two problems were when everyone had the stomach flu and when the toilet actually broke, which it did generally on a Sunday at 8 pm when no plumbers would be available. So in anticipation of this, you could get a hunter's toilet or make your own sawdust toilet and keep them in the basement or garage for emergencies or plumbing breakdowns.

http://www.appropedia.org/How_to_make_and_use_a_sawdust_toilet

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Reliance-Luggable-Loo-Portable-Toilet/productDetail/Toilets/prod9999000952/cat100889?ref=google?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shoppingfeeds&utm_term=100984&utm_campaign=GDF&gdffi=956ae87823e94c98adceb63322121bc0&gdfms=BF05CEC841BA40A497EB26847E30DB9A&gclid=Cj0KEQiA56_FBRDYpqGa2p_e1MgBEiQAVEZ6-63QYEDs236T7Wb0wbrhDRJvarsKGVWlXajBagwg9wsaAoyV8P8HAQ

• Like 1

I grew up in a small house (living room, eat-in kitchen, 2 bedrooms, 1 bath) with 4 of us (2 parents, 2 kids, both girls and in town so no outside option ;) ). The only time it was an issue was when my father would commandeer the bathroom for what at least seemed a couple of hours, whether it actually was or not I don't remember, to use as a darkroom for his photography hobby---developer in pans in the tub, enlarger on the closed toilet.

Edited by KarenNC

Thank you for the wide variety of responses! 

In addition to the main bathroom users being 2 adults and 2 teens, I should also mention that we won't be homeschooling anymore. So the all day all day every day factor will be lessened.

I'll be honest, I don't feel like we really have a choice. We're looking at downsizing from 1500sq feet to a little over 1000. We can't go further on bedrooms. I won't have opposite gender teens share a room. The only thing we're really sticking to is a specific school district. That's where we're getting funneled. Home prices are going up by the week, and we'll be shut out in about $50,000. 

So all that to say, maybe this was a JAWM.  :lol:  :lol:  I kid. I do appreciate the honesty- both ways. The good news is that one day we'll be able to sell this place and move somewhere where this will buy a huge home that we won't even need anymore!  

Thank you for the wide variety of responses!

In addition to the main bathroom users being 2 adults and 2 teens, I should also mention that we won't be homeschooling anymore. So the all day all day every day factor will be lessened.

I'll be honest, I don't feel like we really have a choice. We're looking at downsizing from 1500sq feet to a little over 1000. We can't go further on bedrooms. I won't have opposite gender teens share a room. The only thing we're really sticking to is a specific school district. That's where we're getting funneled. Home prices are going up by the week, and we'll be shut out in about $50,000.

So all that to say, maybe this was a JAWM. :lol: :lol: I kid. I do appreciate the honesty- both ways. The good news is that one day we'll be able to sell this place and move somewhere where this will buy a huge home that we won't even need anymore!

I am a big believer in doing what you need to do! I am also frugal and even if it is occasionally a problem you can put up with a few problems now and then, right? So it isn't ideal- most of us can't have everything we want either. It will be fine.

• Like 1

Yup. This. They invented bathrobes for this reason.

And just being considerate!

"I'm getting ready to take a poo. Does anyone need to pee really quick?" sounds weird to type it out, but that's how it works.

My kids have had to catch on that they don't need to be that specific in other people's house. Houses with two bathrooms. Once my Mom or someone said, "you shouldn't say something like that to Youngest". I then corrected her, "Youngest, you shouldn't say something like that in a house with more than one bathroom."

• Like 1

I grew up with 1.5 bathrooms with two adults and three kids. If you can get that extra half bath, that's very helpful, but if not you should be able to manage just fine. When my siblings and I are all visiting with our families, there's twelve kids, and we've been ok. It's chaotic, but ok.

You can buy emergency toilet seats that fit over a standard 5-gallon bucket lined with a heavy plastic bag.  (e.g.  https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Zone-Brand-Bucket-Toilet/dp/B004KLY5CE ). When we were living in a 1-bathroom house with 4 kids, 1 was still in diapers, and 3 were small enough to use a potty if the toilet was in use.  With bigger people, I'd probably keep the emergency toilet kit on hand for illness and plumbing emergencies.

I grew up with six people and one bathroom with NO SHOWER (only a tub).  It worked fine - we staggered baths and getting ready in the morning.

We have five people and one bathroom (with a shower).  My husband has IBS, so we have worked his long bathroom time into the morning routine.  When we leave the house, *everyone* goes to the bathroom before we head out the door - it saves the mad dash to go potty as soon as we get home.

When people have a stomach bug, they get an empty ice cream bucket.  If two really, really need to go potty at the same time, I keep a camp toilet in the closet - we have yet to actually need it!

I lived my teenage years in a house with ten people and one bathroom. It was an old house. In fact, my parents had five teenage daughters in that house for a few years. It was fine. We put on makeup and did our hair and stuff in the bedrooms. You didn't take long showers or baths and sometimes other people needed the toilet when you were in the shower. If you wanted a shower every day you had to get up early or stay up late. We usually dressed in the bathroom quickly after a shower, but that was because it was the warmest part of the house.

We all managed just fine. In fact, nobody really noticed after the first year because it became routine.

On the other hand, after twenty years and raising eight kids in that house, my parents moved to a house with four bathrooms. I'm not sure that's coincidence.

We have never had 2 bathrooms. It's been fine, I don't really know what we do, yell through the door to hurry up?

Sometimes the boys will pee on a tree if it's a real emergency (we have 20acres, it's not peeing on the porch or anything lol)

We are building a house and we'll have an ensuite - it feels luxurious lol.

I have a preference for 2 bathrooms but for most of my life I have lived just fine with 1 bathroom for 4-7 people and it's been fine. You adjust to what you have. We have two baths now in our apartment- one off the hall for the boys and guests and one en suite with our bedroom. I expect I may have to give that up when we buy again. 1 to 1.5 baths is the norm in the price range we expect to buy in.

Mostly what I will miss about a second bathroom is having my own tub where I can take long baths without inconveniencing anyone. 😂

Edited by LucyStoner