Menu

Baking potatoes

Night Elf

I have only made baked potatoes once in the oven, and I didn't wrap them in tinfoil. 

Funny story to these potatoes. The kids loved them.  I think they would have written sonnets to these baked potatoes.  I usually do not make baked potatoes.  If I am making potatoes I am roasting them with other veggies or making fries.  On the rare occasion I make baked potatoes I would make them in the microwave for expediency.  6 minutes vs and hour.  To this day, mine still remember the one time I made them in the oven. I will admit, they did taste the best but I like the convenience of 6 minutes. 

I always wrapped in foil because my mom did but I don't now.  I also always poke holes except I apparently missed one and yes it did explode.  What a mess in my oven. In the winter I bake 6 or 8 in the oven at a time for the boys to have as snacks.  And someone on this board told me how to use left over baked potatoes with eggs in the a.m....so that is a good use of them. 

• Like 1

I've never baked potatoes in the oven. I've done them in the microwave once and it took a long time I guess because I was baking 3 at a time. They were okay but could have been cooked longer. I am having roast beef in the crock pot tonight and thought it would be cool to bake them in the oven to see how they turn out.

Now, what temperature?  Most recipes I've found say 425 for 50 - 60 minutes. Alton Brown says 350 for 60 minutes. That's a big difference.

• Like 1

I've never baked potatoes in the oven. I've done them in the microwave once and it took a long time I guess because I was baking 3 at a time. They were okay but could have been cooked longer. I am having roast beef in the crock pot tonight and thought it would be cool to bake them in the oven to see how they turn out.

Now, what temperature?  Most recipes I've found say 425 for 50 - 60 minutes. Alton Brown says 350 for 60 minutes. That's a big difference.

I use Alton's recipe. It makes the best potatoes! I put them on a wire cooling sheet over a sheet pan instead of directly on the oven rack because I don't like cleaning my oven racks. If you want to bake directly on the rack, I'd stick a piece of foil or a pan on the rack underneath the rack the potatoes are on to catch any drips.

• Like 1

I use the Alton Brown recipe.

Because I put them right on the top rack I put a piece of foil or a pan on the rack underneath them in case the oil drips.

Also, for serving I prefer to "pop" them open. After baking I use a fork to poke open a slit and then push the ends toward the middle. It makes the top "open" and fluffs it up a bit. Hope that makes sense!

• Like 1

I use Alton's recipe. It makes the best potatoes! I put them on a wire cooling sheet over a sheet pan instead of directly on the oven rack because I don't like cleaning my oven racks. If you want to bake directly on the rack, I'd stick a piece of foil or a pan on the rack underneath the rack the potatoes are on to catch any drips.

We posted at the same time and at first I thought I had a DP!

• Like 1

My mother never used foil.  The potato skins were my favorite!  Hard, and you could eat them with grated sharp cheddar cheese or a mix of sour cream and chives and they'd be really good.  How she did it was, pierce the potatos with a fork (repeatedly, on all sides), preheat the oven to 350, put them in right on the rack, leave for one hour.  That was reliable in the days of standard sizes, and the recipe worked for a set of 'medium' potatoes.  Costco potatoes are MUCH bigger, and take forever to bake; I think that the classic ploy of putting a nail into the middle might help.  

Foil makes the potatoes steam more so than bake, so they are less dry--the skins AND the flesh.  I don't like it as much, but for Yukon Gold varietals it's a great method.

No olive oil either way, unless you're cooking whole tiny new potatoes.  And that's really roasting more so than baking.

I like to slice mine first and then bake. Make uniform slices almost the whole way through, coat with oil & salt, bake like normal. My family prefers potatoes this way.

Mmmmm...that sounds delicious! I have a recipe that sounds similar--it's called Roasted Fan-shaped Potatoes, with the fan shape coming from that slicing technique. I think the recipe calls for sprinkling w/Parmesan, which makes lots of things even yummier!   :drool5:

• Like 1