Menu

Ugh, swollen wrist... urgent care or ER?

Farrar

Ds showed us his "it only hurts a little" wrist at bedtime but it looked like such a mess that it definitely freaked me out a bit. Dh was like, okay, doesn't seem like anything's broken. It just has a large swollen lump on the back. So I just let him go to bed with it. And he has no idea how he did it. His brother pointed out that he was goofing off on the brother's skateboard and fell, but ds says he didn't brace with his hands and that he has no idea how it happened.

So, assuming we're doing something about it tomorrow... urgent care or the children's ER? I can't believe we might be making a second ER trip this month. Same ds smashed his foot so hard he couldn't walk on it. Turned out it was only a nasty internal bruise, but... ugh.

I'd go to the ER for a large swelling.

Everyone should go to the ER for intense pain or any sign of circulation problems.

ETA:  Sometimes the injuries that worry you the most aren't serious, and the ones that you think are no big deal are, in fact, a big deal.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

Children's ER. I know SO many people who have had breaks missed by urgent care that I can't trust them. They don't have radiologists to read the X-rays and often are not experienced in the difference between children's breaks and adult breaks. 

Another option is to see if you can go straight to an orthopedist. We have orthopedic walk in clinics here. 

• Like 1

Children's ER. I know SO many people who have had breaks missed by urgent care that I can't trust them. They don't have radiologists to read the X-rays and often are not experienced in the difference between children's breaks and adult breaks.

Another option is to see if you can go straight to an orthopedist. We have orthopedic walk in clinics here.

We call the orthopedist first if we can. We always end up there eventually no matter where we start.

• Like 1

In our town, I'd call our local clinic and make an appointment for the first GP who had an opening that morning.  They usually have an on-call GP or two who works with urgent needs that come up throughout the day.  Our clinic is also connected to the hospital so doing an x-ray is just a short walk away.

You might have already left or don't have the time for research, but I agree with the others who said to find an orthopedic urgent care, or consider it for next time. We discovered that option last year when my kid had toxic synovitis. Went to the ER for it, and a few days later something happened that was outside everyone's skill set, so they pediatrician sent us to an orthopedic surgeon. Everything was fine, but the orthopedist said next time anything happens to a bone or joint, come in to their own urgent care. No wait, no ER germs, and they have the most experience.

• Like 5

When my daughter broke her collar bone at Aikido in the evening, we went to the ER because she was out-of-her-mind in pain. I knew what it was, but wanted to confirm and get pain medication. Then at 7am the next day, we called the orthopedic office, and we saw the PA a few hours later. She conferred with the doctor who normally handles pediatric cases, and he agreed with our plan.

When I sprained my ankle last week (yes, the ankle I've broken and sprained before), I called the ortho office because I knew the ER would just tell me to ice it. I got right into the ortho office the next morning, and the PA set me up for an MRI and a consult with the doctor I always see in two weeks.

ER is fine, but I'd get into an orthopedic doc as soon as you can too.