Menu

Science, dual enrollment or at home?

I am trying to decide if we should continue to do science at home, or start doing the rest in dual enrollment. We will be done with biology this year. Now, I find out that everyone I know with a home schoolers his age are moving in to dual enrollment next year, especially those that used Landry in the past.

Now, I am wondering if I should still move forward with our plan to do chemistry and physics at home, or if it would be practical to just let son chose his science courses from what community college has. Do you think it would be bad to start science DE before finishing chemistry and physics at home? Or do you think that is a good idea?

Dual enrollment Chemistry was a huge win for us. Ds15 thrived in the course and it was free with no extravagant lab kits, complicated planning or setup, etc... The instructor was so impressed with him that he asked if he had studied chemistry while in high school. Apparently, he didn't realize this he was in high school. lol  :tongue_smilie:

Physics with Jetta's online course was ds' favorite course of all time. Sometimes that outside influence of a gifted instructor can really add depth and inspiration to a student's high school experience. So, yes, DE and outsourced sciences can be very positive experiences.  :thumbup:

Edited by dereksurfs
  • Like 2

So we started Chemistry this year and it was just too much for me.  DS will have to finish it in DE sometime in the future.  I think I can manage Bio but we will definitely be doing a short Physics course before he takes it as DE.  So yeah, I plan on at least 2 of his sciences being started at home and finished in CC/DE.  Same with Math. He'll likely do Thinkwell Pre-Calc  either Summer before or 1st semester of Jr. Year then take it at CC, he'll have more confidence that way.

But would you do it at home first, before you do it dual enrolled? or would you jump straight to the dual enrollment?

I think this varies student to student as there are many factors to consider. For example, academic maturity level, math skills, interest/passion for science, social and communication skills, study habits, etc... In our families case, I like to start them on some form of outsourcing while in middle school. But if we were to wait until high school age, I may consider DE first on a per student basis. We also like to start DE with something a bit easier like an elective just to get a feel for being on a college campus.

With regards to science, ds took Physics first in 9th grade with Jetta. I'll most likely do the same with our younger dds if they have the algebra background required. Then we can follow with Chemistry at the CC like ds did. Otherwise, we could always do Biology first at home if their math skills aren't there yet.

Edited by dereksurfs

But would you do it at home first, before you do it dual enrolled? or would you jump straight to the dual enrollment?

It depends on the teen. During middle school, my STEM inclined ds did a very textbook/workbook traditional science with a year each of Life, Earth and Physics. In 9th he did Bio at home with a few experiments and a very traditional text/workbook.  That was the last science he did at home.

The rest of his sciences he did at the local CC. Biology I, Chemistry I, Environmental Science and Physics I. He would have liked to have taken more science at the CC but schedule-wise it didn't work out.

However, my next teen has said he doesn't feel ready to take science outside of the house. So, different kid, different plan.

Edited by amyx4
  • Like 1