Menu

What's with the ads?

mommyoffive

When does having a puppy get easier?

When did your puppy sleep through the night? 

When was your puppy fully house broken? 

When could you leave your puppy at home for more than 2 hours? 

When was your puppy good enough to be let to have free roam of the house and not in a crate? 

I don't know, I just know I can't do puppy rearing and young child rearing at the same time! After watching my mom deal with puppyhood I determined there will be no pups in this home at least until all children are sleeping through the night, pottying independently, and maybe off to college.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

It varies greatly by puppy, and many cannot ever be left to roam with no one home.  

Even my almost 8 year old JRT, who has been wonderfully house-trained and trustworthy most of her life, has suddenly decided that no garbage can is safe if no one is at home...lol.  (Not to mention the one time that she got mad at me and pooped on my bed...the one and only time she's had a poo accident inside since she was 6 months old)

That said, it does get better.  I would say after a year or so, everyone settles in, the puppy destructive phase is generally gone, and things go more smoothly.  

• Like 2

It depends on the dog. Our last puppy always slept through the night, could be left for hours in the crate, and was house broken within a week. But she couldn't be out the crate when we weren't home until she was 3 years old because she ate toys.

Our other dog took months to be fully house trained, Could never do a crate because of anxiety, and always slept through the night if sleeping with us

Our puppies cried in the crate at night for 3 nights tops. Ignoring it if you can is really the only way to keep from reaffirming that you'll come whenever they cry. It worked really well for us, even though it was tough. As far as house breaking goes, consistency in the key. Crate, outside, inside (with supervision), crate, outside, repeat, repeat, repeat. We gated off the kitchen so he could not find any carpeted areas resembling grass and confine the accidents. It is easier to clean tile than carpet, plus they smell even the trace amount and it encourages them to go their again. It also depends on the breed. Our irish setter was house broken in about 2 month (after we got him at 8wks) but our lab took about 6month to be totally reliably housebroken. By about a year they should have it down although accidents will understandably happen if left for a whole day. So some breeds need crating up to 2 years if you leave the house for say a whole work day. After 2 years the crate can disappear altogether. 

Our puppies cried in the crate at night for 3 nights tops. Ignoring it if you can is really the only way to keep from reaffirming that you'll come whenever they cry. It worked really well for us, even though it was tough. As far as house breaking goes, consistency in the key. Crate, outside, inside (with supervision), crate, outside, repeat, repeat, repeat. We gated off the kitchen so he could not find any carpeted areas resembling grass and confine the accidents. It is easier to clean tile than carpet, plus they smell even the trace amount and it encourages them to go their again. It also depends on the breed. Our irish setter was house broken in about 2 month (after we got him at 8wks) but our lab took about 6month to be totally reliably housebroken. By about a year they should have it down although accidents will understandably happen if left for a whole day. So some breeds need crating up to 2 years if you leave the house for say a whole work day. After 2 years the crate can disappear altogether. 

yeah i so wish we had a kitchen that could be gated off.  Damn open concept.

• Like 1

When was your puppy good enough to be let to have free roam of the house and not in a crate? 

Sleep through the night - around 3-4 months. Probably COULD at 3 months, but I wake up anyway during the night, so just let him out when I get up, since I'm up anyway. Other dogs definitely around 3 months. 

Housbroken - depends on puppy. Most of my dogs were housebroken in a few weeks at most. My most recent puppy.......he's 95% housebroken now at 5 months..still has a few accidents (he thinks that looking at the grass through a window=being in the grass so will pee while looking out the one floor to ceiling window sometimes). BUT....I got the puppy at 3 months and he already had bad habits...he'd been kept in a kennel for 10 hours a day o learned to pee in his kennel, etc. So we were starting behind the 8 ball. Also, with more kids and distractions and his aversion to his crate I wasn't as consistent with him as the other puppies I've raised. 

You can leave a puppy for as many hours as their age in months, usually plus one. So a 3 month puppy can be left a maximum of 3-4 hours. 

Free roaming when not home? Definitely more than a year old. Depends on the dog. 

When did your puppy sleep through the night? We brought her home when she was 3 months old and she slept through the night from day 1.   She slept in a crate until she outgrew it, but now sleeps on a dog bed in the space under my bathroom counter, with a baby gate.

When was your puppy fully house broken?  Definitely by 6 months, maybe closer to 5.   It seemed to be taking forever while we were in the midst of it, but then all of a sudden, it was finished.

When could you leave your puppy at home for more than 2 hours?   We used a general rule of a bit less than 1 hour per month of age, so we left her for 2 hours or so as soon as we brought her home.   Then we gradually increased the length of time, until we could leave her for 6-7 hours at a time when she was 8-9 months old.   We typically don't leave her at home alone more than 7 hours ever.

When was your puppy good enough to be let to have free roam of the house and not in a crate?    She's now 4 years old and I still can't trust her with full roam of the house while no one is here.   She gets bored and gets into mischief - eating garbage, eating toilet paper, jumping on the couch and digging through the cushions to get to crumbs, etc.   She has a big fluffy blanket (an old comforter) in the laundry room, and that's where she stays while we aren't home.  

Every dog is different.  But, we've had four puppies now.  Generally, they slept through the night after having them one week.  

They were generally housebroken within just a few weeks after getting them, maybe a month at the most.

It was necessary for us to leave our pups home alone for a couple hours pretty quickly.  Initially, it was in a safe crate.  Soon after that, it was in our kitchen which we had gated.

I've seen people put up a gate in their bathroom doorway too, if they leave the house for longer periods.

Generally by a year or so, we could let our dog roam the house while gone, but only if we trusted him completely not to get into trouble!  Often we'd close off certain rooms.  One dog we always left in the kitchen when gone, but then we were able to close it off with a baby gate.

yeah i so wish we had a kitchen that could be gated off. Damn open concept.

You can set up a playpen area with baby fencing. Superyard is one brand.

yeah i so wish we had a kitchen that could be gated off. Damn open concept.

They sell pet play pens on Amazon. They are just four sides without a top or bottom. If you have a small puppy it works well.

Our pup howled, cried, and growled like a demon for around 2 or 3 weeks; it seemed like forever. We got her in the fall( she was 8-10 weeks). She was house broken very quickly, and never pooped in the house at all. We were home all day, tho, and could accommodate her totally.

She slept in a crate around 4 months, until Christmas. At that time we left her for up to 6 hours. No trouble, she never chewed and is not drawn to garbage, just socks and gloves. She has since always slept on the floor next to my side of the bed, tho she hauls her pillow-bed all over the house during the day.

We try not to, but we've left her alone for 8--10 hours a few times.

I can look back and laugh now, but she was totally exhausting as a puppy, for two old people like us. Her nightly cries in the crate were horrible.She'd start off angrily barking,howling, then it would turn into really creepy growls. Then sad crying, which meant she was almost ready to sleep. Maybe.

Every time I think about wanting a playmate for her, dh reminds me of how tired I was.

Edited by Dotwithaperiod

A few weeks after we got him, around 3mo.

Probably about two months after we got him, around 5mo.

Two hours from the start, at 8wks. We didn't leave him for more than 3 or so hours till he was housebroken, and not more than four or five till he was closer to a year.

We still crate him when we are gone and at night (1.5yrs), but I trust him out of sight of us now. He was still untrustworthy at a year (chewed up books while dh was sleeping), but after 18mo I quit worrying too much about what he's up to. He'll still chew things he isn't supposed to if they are on the floor, but he doesn't search out trouble anymore, or grab things the instant they drop to the floor (which he was still doing at one year). So, for me, our puppy got easier at 18mo.

I only have experience with large breed dogs, but IME 2-3 years before they were trustworthy out of my sight.

• Like 1

I have a lab puppy that was 12 weeks yesterday, and have been asking myself these questions a lot as well.

Last night was the first time she slept through the night, from 10 pm to 5:30 am (my hubs gets up early). I'm hoping this is the new normal and not just a fluke.

House training: our pup has not had an accident in the house for almost a week now, but we watch her like a hawk and take her out about every hour or so. Either we are getting better at recognizing her signs, or she is getting better at letting us know, or both.

I have left our pup in the crate for 2 hours at a time nearly daily for about a week now. Between needing to go to Costco, running other errands, etc, it's just not possible for someone to be with her 24/7.

Free roam: we are not even close. We have one tile-floored room gated off that has an ex-pen set up in it. I don't feel comfortable letting her in other rooms until she is more reliable on the house training.

The last 4 weeks have been exhausting, and have triggered some SAD-like depression in me. But I can see that things are getting incrementally better, and I know that will continue. When my puppy gets tired, she likes to climb up on my lap, curl up in a ball, and fall asleep - those are the moments that keep me going when it's hard.

We're in the thick of this, too. Our lab/boxer mix pup just turned 4 months. At night, she has been making if from about 10pm - 6am for about a month now. She sleeps beside our bed so we can hear her if she moves around.

If we leave during the day, she stays in her crate. 2.5 hours is the longest we have left her so far.

She's house broken until one of us misses her cues for needing to go outside. She has an accident about once per week, and when she does, it's always our fault.

She is a long way away from being left to roam in our house when we leave. We have an open floor plan also, and I don't want to leave her in her crate for longer than 3 hours. We're still trying to figure out what to do when we need to leave for longer periods of time.

Our puppy slept though since we got her- about 3 months old. Late to bed and up and up 6am. Now she can wait until whatever kid wakes up( she's a year now). She sleeps in a crate in someone's room. Will not sleep alone.

Potty training went back and forth. She was mainly potty trained around 4 months, but I think we got careless or lazy and forgot to llet her out as often. So probably another month after that.

Leaving alone- about 2 hours at 4-5 months. At 8 months, we could leave her for 6-6.5 hours (co-op). If we need to leave her longer, I try to have a neighbor come in and walk her. She could probably last more now, but I hate the possibilty of her having an accident in her crate. It's just not worth it.

I did not do puppy training well. I mean I was strict and scheduled and such. But too pms'y to deal with it all well. I found it such an added stress and workload. She's a good dog, and it didn't last long. But when you're in the middle of it, ugh.

Leaving to roam- I dont know. Never? She's 14 months old now. She knows what to leave alone but if she's bored and wanting attention or just can't resist, then she'll go for it. Favorites are socks, ear plugs and some of the kids toys. They've gotten good at keeping stuff off the floor and she's not allowed on furniture, but she will sit and eye stuff on a table or couch. And sometimes she can't hold back. She's content in her crate and sleeps. If she was roaming free, i think she'd be anxious with no one around. She's a people dog.

Enjoy your pup!

One other thing that has been a lifesaver: my puppy kindergarten teacher recommended a website called Rover.com to find a pet sitter for when we need to be out longer than a few hours. We found a woman who is a SAHM and this is her "side hustle." We did a meet & greet before she watched my dog to make sure everyone was comfortable, and she has been awesome. We used her while we were at a 6-hour swim meet and the peace of mind was invaluable.

She's house broken until one of us misses her cues for needing to go outside. She has an accident about once per week, and when she does, it's always our fault.

She is a long way away from being left to roam in our house when we leave. We have an open floor plan also, and I don't want to leave her in her crate for longer than 3 hours. We're still trying to figure out what to do when we need to leave for longer periods of time.

Does she give you clear cues to potty? My dog wasn't giving me any cues when she was a puppy- at least not any I could ever identify. I added a bell to the door, showed her how to use it, and a week later she rang the bell to potty and that was that! No more accidents, always rings the bell.

Our lab puppy is 6 months old. 

Sleeping through night: only didn't sleep through night first two nights, so by 8 weeks for sure. Sleeps in crate.

Potty training: still had occasional accidents at 4 months, but I don't think we've had any since 5 months.

Leave home alone: we can leave her alone in her crate for 3-4 hours.

She does not have roaming privileges and has actually been pretty destructive recently in her gated off kitchen area. Definitely pulls things off counters, chewed up a chair cushion, etc. So no leaving her unguarded and we need to up her exercise! As it gets warmer and drier we hope to have her outside more--I don't think labs are meant to be indoor dogs.

Chihuahua and Dachshund 

About 6-8 months for the sleeping through the night without squalling

Both our dogs were easily (that's a relative term) trained, about 6-9 months 

Left alone after about a year with the Chihuahua, the Dachshund was a good girl from the beginning

About the same time, but now that the Dachshund is gone the Chihuahua is misbehaving more so he's crated if no one is home who can watch him.

Our puppy was 9 weeks old when we got her from the shelter.

It took 4 nights for her to just go to sleep in the crate and sleep through the night.

It took 3 weeks for her to be pretty solid on potty training. After 3 more weeks, I would have called her house-trained.

It took 3 weeks for her to learn how to hit the bells hanging on the back door to let us know that she wanted to go outside.

We had somebody with her or had her in her crate all the time until she was about 6 months old. After that, we would let her be out of the crate downstairs for up to an hour without somebody down there with her. We didn't let her be in the backyard without supervision until about 8 months old. She really really liked wood and would start eating branches.

Full free-roaming of the house when we aren't home wasn't until about 1yo and that was with the rule that she couldn't go upstairs. We have a gate at the top of the stairs for the dogs.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

We've had a couple of puppies, most recently we had picked one up for my mom last month, so this all seems fresh, lol. Be aware that the breed of dog will influence some of these answers, too.

When did your puppy sleep through the night? We got her at 10 weeks old, and within a day or two. It helps if they are tired out. 

When was your puppy fully house broken? She is about 14 weeks now, and does not poop inside, but her peeing is still both inside and out. Our last puppy was a little bit longer on the pee, too. I'd say she was about 6-8 mos. and probably could have been faster had I been better about it. The better you are at taking them out regularly, the faster they will learn. A breeder we worked with told me, anytime they do anything, they will need to pee. They eat, they're going to need to pee. They get up from a nap, pee. They play around, pee. Be consistent and diligent and it will come.

When could you leave your puppy at home for more than 2 hours? Well, at 10 weeks, we had to leave this last puppy for 6 hours; she stayed in a kennel and obviously peed, but we kept towels in the kennel. My last puppy, I dunno, maybe 6-8 mos. we were leaving her for a few hours at a time without accidents? Like I said, we always kept towels in the kennel when they were little so it wasn't a big deal when they had accidents. We took the towels out when they started chewing them, and that was generally about the same time they were pretty much trained.

When was your puppy good enough to be let to have free roam of the house and not in a crate? With 5 dogs, we are big crate people. So, in short, none of my dogs have free roam of the house. Our last dog we got is about 5 y,o, and I know that he had free roam at his foster's house all day - but I heard tons of stories about the bags of pretzels he ate, and all the stuff he got into. We left him out at our house once or twice - that was enough for me to say, nope, he gets kenneled, just like everyone else. All dogs are different on that one.

Edited by Guest

I've been impressed with dd's new pup. She can be left for a number of hours. But, she freaked out last night--she's never really seen snow and didn't know WHERE to pee! Wyoming has been really warm, and even though we've lost half our snow, we still have 3'. 

Thanks for this post.  We've been considering a dog when DD goes off to college.  I was already leaning toward a 1-2 yo rescue dog, and I think this helped firm up my decision!  

Depends on the puppy.  Some breeds do things at differents times.  Our puppy will be 2 in April.  He slept through the night within the first month of bringing him home.  However,  someone would let him out when we went to bed, then around midnight or so when someone got home.  And whoever got up first, usually around 5 AM, would let him out again.  Now, of course, he goes out before bed and again in the morning. 

Housebreaking went pretty fast too.  We got him the first week in June so someone was always home for the first month or so anyway. 

We started leaving him home and out of the crate about 2 hours around 6-8 months.  A lot would depend upon what we were doing.  We started leaving him out of the crate but alone in the house while running quick errands like dropping someone off.  Gradually worked up the time. 

Puppies are little and need lots of care as you have already discovered.  Some need to go out more often and some get separation anxiety quicker.  Even now, I will sometimes leave on the classical radio station.  We don't have the crate set up anymore.  When he stopped using it as his "den," we took it down.  He has his bed and that seems to be enough for him.  Our older rescue dog going under the bed when she wants a den, but she is a different breed and a different temperment. 

We did puppy classes at the local pet store.  I think that helped too because we were working with him as well as playing with him. 

I also made sure he had chew bones  to keep him occupied when we would go out. 

Edited by HollyDay

Our beagle-lab-something mix is 3 years old. We got her at about 6 months and she was fully housebroken. She slept through the night after about a week here. We used the crate for her to sleep in for awhile and then transitioned to her sleeping on a bed at about 9 months, I think. We followed the "one hour for every month old" rule for leaving her alone but still try not to leave for more than 6-7 hours. Otherwise I just feel like she is bored and it's not fair to her. There have been one or two times when we have left her for as long as 8 hours due to unforeseen circumstances and she has been fine (as in didn't go to the bathroom and didn't destroy anything....she might not have liked it very much).

She mainly has the full roam of the house when we are gone and we don't crate her anymore. We got rid of the crate at about 12-18 months. We close bedrooms doors but otherwise she can go anywhere. When she was little she chewed a lot even when we were her with her (shoes, anything remotely wooden or soft...she chewed a coffee table and part of the wall). She doesn't chew stuff anymore or get into things. She will chew stuffed animals....which is why the bedroom doors stay closed when we are gone. Also we have people with allergies and in general she is not supposed to be in the bedrooms. She will also chew small toys like Legos if they are left out. We do have some chew toys for her to play with while we are gone. The toys seemed to help fulfill that need so she stopped chewing on our stuff. I think also just getting older helped. 

Edited by Alice

All of my answers below is based on a Pug, which is very different from a lot of breeds and isn't really the type of dog most people should choose lol, unless they are fully aware of the breed and its associated lifelong requirements.

She pretty much sleeps through the night now (1 year old), about a month ago, she still had moments where if you woke up it was play time for another hour.

I don't think she'll ever be, if you are talking no "accidents". I have a Pug, they are one of the hardest dogs to housetrain. She's pretty good with going to her mat now, but still does do them elsewhere in the house.

Again, I have a Pug, lol, they really aren't meant to be left alone, they were bred for 24/7 companionship, its not somethign they are meant to deal with. Saying that, I have a weekly (not so much now) engagement for about 4 hours on a Sat/Sun. I started leaving her alone (in a VERY puppyproofed room) for little periods whilst doing things and she was able to deal with the 4 hour by about 4-5 months (4 hours is really the maximum though, and if it was more often than just a day a week, I would not have gotten a pug. I have to secure her (my bedroom is her homebase when shes not running free) when I do school as shes a goat and will eat everything and bounce off the furniture and run away ROFL. But I am the other side of the clear baby gate, and she's only just gotten used to me doing school, and she'll use that as her naptime (pugs require a lot of sleep LOL).

She has free roam of the bedroom, I don't really use the crate at all, again, Pugs aren't really the sort that should be crated (bladder needs, overheating, needing to be near someone). BUT she follows me around the house and outside (unless its a hot day) all day long. Pugs are also nicknamed shadows. She will basically attach herself to my leg and follow me everywhere :)

Basically, it obviously depends upon the nature of the dog, the breed, and the owner. My other current dog is a Border Collie x Lab, and she was sleep through the night pretty much two weeks after getting her, but she slept in the laundry, not my bedroom, so was less likely to be awoken by me. She wasn't fully housebroken until about 3 1/2 years old, but again, this is because we initially lived in a rental and she was bascally outside barring bad weather, when she slept in the laundry room. When we moved into our house, she had accidents and it took her about 4 months to be 99% housetrained. (I say 99, because I don't think a dog can be fully housebroken, but the only accidents shes had since then have been very far and few between. She had a nasty number 2 because her body obviously couldn't cope with something she had eaten, so didn't have time to advise that she needed to go out, she did a number 1 near the door, when she obviously left telling anyone till too late LOL). She was left at home (outside) from about 4 months old, but she gets bored really easily, so did tear up fencing etc at that point (its hte border collie in her that needs to exercise her brain and body), before we invested in heavy duty toys meant for zoos LOL. Now she happily entertains herself, and I taught her soccer, so she loves playing with the ball by herself too. Dogs shouldn't never really have free roaming without some sort of watchful eye, I mean my Pug will steal a pencil and start chewing on it, or a but of foil that she might add to her dragons treasure nest (what is it with Pugs & hoarding things secretly?). My Lab will steal one of my pugs toys and sit there chewing on it, covering the fur in Saliva, and possibly ripping it apart, she;ll also eat the pugs food. If you are talking about when do they settle down enough.....Well my pugs as settled as she's going to get at 1yr (still does zoomies and chasings, but doesn't do the crazy face jumping bites pugs do as much anymore), and my other girl, it was about 3yrs she settled down enough to lessen the amount of knocking stuff down she does with her tail and exuberance.

I think its pretty much the "how long is a piece of string" question. Answering the questions also makes my dogs sound really bad, but they are the sweetest things! My Lab is currently snuggled on the couch under a blanket next to my youngest, fast sleep and she was happily following her round the yard and doing the seal-nose ball trick earlier. My pug is currently snoring loudly tucked under the table next to my feet and when I have a shower, she'll wonder round the house, and every minute or so, keeping coming back to check on me, to make sure I'm still there and okay :001_wub:

Does she give you clear cues to potty? My dog wasn't giving me any cues when she was a puppy- at least not any I could ever identify. I added a bell to the door, showed her how to use it, and a week later she rang the bell to potty and that was that! No more accidents, always rings the bell.

Usually she goes to the back door and whines, scratches, or barks. If the kids are playing with her and then get distracted by something else, they will forget that she probably needs to go out. The bell sounds like a great idea.

When did your puppy sleep through the night? We got her at 4 mos. so she was did this right away.

When was your puppy fully house broken? We got a CD (Carolina Dog/American Dingo). They are known for pretty much training themselves.  She only had 2 accidents in the house. She never caused much of a problem with potty training with at the rescue home she was in prior either.

When could you leave your puppy at home for more than 2 hours? Right away. Because she was already house-trained, we just gated her into the kitchen/dining area, left a few toys out, and a shank bone filled with peanut butter.  No problems. The cat also kept her company. Now she looks forward to her PB bone treat whenever we have to leave her.

When was your puppy good enough to be let to have free roam of the house and not in a crate? This was the only puppy we couldn't crate. She hated it. Not sure if it was because she's a CD. Anyway, she slept on her blanket in our bedroom (off the dining room) at night.  At first, we kept the gates up to restrict her to DR & Kit. After about a month, she had full run of the house.

Whenever I had a puppy prior to our CD (and I've had many), to potty train I didn't use puppy pads or papers.  The smell remains in the area of the pad/papers and that teaches the puppy to go in that spot continually rather than training them to go outside.  All I did was take the puppy out every 20-30 mins. until crated.  Using this method, our pups were usually trained within 3 days to a week. Never failed.  Granted, it's a lot of work at first, but the rewards are plentiful for a week's worth of work.  This means you have to plan to get your pup on or close to a weekend or when you have some time off.

She was probably home for a month (so 3 mos old) when she slept all night. Before that she would wake up once to potty, but after a month I was done and I decided she was too lol so I quit taking her

She was 6 months old (Maltese/poodle mix). She probably would've been sooner but I couldn't figure out her potty signal. At 6 months I hung a bell on the door and she picked up on ringing it right away, and that was the end of accidents.

Right away by necessity, as I worked. I would leave her in the Crate for 4 hours, come home and let her out/potty/play, then back for 4 hours.

She's almost 3 and still doesn't usually free roam when no one is home. She stays in the guest room and can roam it, and if we're gone for just an hour or a few she can roam freely. She's never been destructive, but I do have lids on all our waste bins as she likes to pull out paper/tissue to tear up. She could roam while someone was home from the time she was tiny though, as she's very attached to me and will almost always choose to be in the same room with me.

I can't believe that all these puppies sleep through the night without going potty.

ours is 4 months old and is up 3 times a night to potty.

What do I do about that?

Smart large dogs (labs, shepherds) take 3-4 days of tether training and maybe a few weeks to be quiet in their crate.

Toy dogs (chihuahuas, yorkies) take about 3-4 months for housebreaking and less than a week to be quiet in their crate.

Medium dogs are somewhere in between and vary based on breed (Australian or English Shephers are much easier than Westies).

Keep them on a short leash.  This is more to train YOU to pay attention to them than it is to train them at first.  You'll quickly learn their indicators when you keep them close.  When the start to whine or spin or shake or sniff, take them outside and tell them to "Go potty" or whatever your family command words are. Then give them a treat and praise when they come back in. When you cannot hold their leash, you can either get a waist leash, tether them to the wall where they can see you, or put them in a crate (move the crate around when you do this so they can always see you.  The goal is for them to bond to you, so that you are their safe space and their leader.

Once they can reliably go outside on cue, put a bell on your door and train them to nose it or paw it before you open the door.  Soon they'll ring the bell every time they want to go out. Similarly, if they've gone outside recently don't open the crate when they whine.  It will just train them to whine.  If you know they don't need food, water, or a bathroom break just tell them, "You're fine."  If you have an especially whiny dog you can practice this by putting them in their crate and not letting them out until they've been quiet for a minute or two.  Then get them out, praise them for being quiet, and give them a treat and attention.

• Like 1