Menu

Heritage Studies 1 and Pentime 1 for K?

happynurse

Hi, all. My son turns 5 next week, and we're starting K this fall. We've been doing Logic of English Foundations for PreK. We finished A and we've just begun B - (I suspect we'll be moving slower through B, but that's a whole 'nother topic ;) ). I am not fond of the font used in LoE and I much prefer the font (both manuscript and cursive) in Pentime. It's something I've always planned to use in the future. I'm just curious if Pentime 1 is appropriate for K? From what I can see on the samples, it appears to be, but the samples online are limited. Would appreciate your feedback. FYI - he loves to write/draw etc. 

Also, I'm not ready to begin the history cycle, but would like to introduce some basic 'social studies' in K. I am looking at BJU Heritage Studies 1. Although my son's reading is coming along fairly well, I'd probably do most of it orally. I'm a nurse and DH is a firefighter, plus he's been in a little preschool for the past couple years, so we've exhausted 'community helpers' to death. Do you think BJU's HS 1 would work for a K'er?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on these programs for K. DS will be about 5.5 years old when we'd start. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I can't answer your question about social studies, but I've used Pentime for years and can speak to that.

Pentime is a great program, but I'd only suggest starting it once the child knows how to form all the letters correctly (and if your son does, then it would be fine for K level). The reason is that I don't like the order in which it teaches the manuscript letters, because it isn't based on the types of strokes that are used, and it doesn't begin with the easiest letters to form. I wanted something that teaches the strokes and letters in a systematic way, in which the easiest strokes and letters (ie, straight horizontal and vertical lines) are learned first. So, to teach letter formation, I used Simply Charlotte Mason's Delightful Handwriting and then moved to the first Pentime book for practice. We've done all the books in order, and my oldest is now in Book 4 and has gorgeous cursive. Pentime does a great job at teaching the cursive strokes and letters in an order that makes sense - I have no idea why that isn't done for manuscript.

• Like 1

Thank you for your response! I went ahead and ordered Pentime 1. We've been doing LoE Foundations and have used their handwriting (which is built-in) so he knows how to form all of the letters.He loves writing (and drawing, for that matter) and started writing the alphabet when he was just shy of 3. He really wants to learn cursive, so I've told him that if he gets through these manuscript books then we'll move on to cursive. I appreicate your input!!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Regarding BJU Heritage Studies 1, I used it with my son in kindergarten. It was age-appropriate, however it wasn't my favorite. It felt choppy moving from chapter to chapter, and my son didn't retain much. Looking back, I should have just read some children's picture books on early American history.

We used the Pentime Transition book to learn cursive! No complaints!

Edited by MyLife
  • Like 1

Regarding BJU Heritage Studies 1, I used it with my son in kindergarten. It was age-appropriate, however it wasn't my favorite. It felt choppy moving from chapter to chapter, and my son didn't retain much. Looking back, I should have just read some children's picture books on early American history.

I agree!  I hated BJU History in elementary I only tried for one grade and shucked it...it was in my beginning years and I still had fears...ha!  I am not a big fan and felt it was very dry and boring!  I wouldn't recommend so many other GOOD books out there that would be more suited!