Menu

Finding a right fit math curriculum

MistyMountain

I know there is no perfect curriculum but I am trying to plan for next year and I may pull dd who will be in 5th next year to homeschool. She has used Saxon all the way through and some hodge podge I do in the summer. Saxon is a very poor fit. The issues with it are that she was doing the motions and not really always understanding the concept. It also does not give enough practice at first to really get something. It not that it is a spiral that is a problem just how there are so few problems of each concept and how each lesson has so many problem types.

She is behind in math but I do not think it is quite dyscalculia and what I have seen of Ronit Bird I am not sure she needs to go that far back.

I do not think Signapore will remediate her and I she will place even more below grade level then she would in other programs. I do think she needs something conceptual with some concrete examples between something like Signapore and Ronit Bird.

Do not quote

Math Mammoth?

It is conceptual and it is good for filling in holes because it is set up in different formats. You can buy straight grade level workbooks (Light Blue Series), but the math is also sold separately in a format by topics (Blue Series).

I started off when I switched math programs by topic with the Blue Series and once I felt we had caught up/synced with the program I switched over to the regular grade level books.

• Like 1

We moved from Saxon to Math U See for my oldest.  I started him in Gamma, though he had been doing multiplication in Saxon.  Just that little bit of backing up helped him grasp arithmetic so much better.  He completed the Greek letter part of the program then moved to a more traditional high school math up through calculus I.

I would say MUS or possibly CLE. CLE is very afforadable and easy to remediate with, as you can buy the needed units and go from there. I started with Saxon because that's what everyone recommended and what my dd had used in public school and that first year was tough. We switched to CLE and I bought the series from 6-8 grade and we went back and started "filling holes." It's explanations are much clearer than what I saw the year we did Saxon and the repetition isn't as severe. I am a huge fan of CLE and wish the Sunrise Editions went past Algebra I or we would keep using it.

One other thing: if you need to shore up any specific topic are the Key to series. You can order them from Rainbow Resource for under $30 a series in many cases.

Edited by texasmom33

One last thing- definitely have her take the placement tests for whichever program you think you will buy, and don't stress if she places well below her grade level on somethings. You have plenty of time to remediate, so just take it slow and remember it's more important it clicks and she truly gets it along with the practice she needs than worry she might end up behind. She will catch up as long as you're diligent about doing the next thing. I speak from experience here. :) Never be afraid to back up. Trying to fix skills that got rushed past for years in public school takes a lot of time and patience, but it's worth it.