Menu

Car insurance, best way to compare rates?

linguistmama

We have a local agent but really the few times we had a claim it was done with strangers over the internet. I'm not sure what the agent really does for us anymore. 

One of our priorities is that they use factory/brand name parts when replacing things, especially body work. Some companies use third party parts. It happened to us when our van was rear ended a few years ago. We noticed when we went to pick it up that the quarter panel really didn't match. It turned out the shop used third party parts. We informed them that State Farm (yes, the hated State Farm) pays for genuine manufacturer parts and insisted they replace it, which they did at their expense.

• Like 3

My priorities are different.  I want an agent in the area that I can get to know and who I can call if I need help.  And I want a company that will pay if necessary instead of stalling.  

Beyond those two things I want reasonable premiums, but those come first.

Yeah this is nice in theory, but in practice I am starting to wonder if it actually exists.  I had a local agent thinking how great it would be, but anytime I called, if it wasn't between the hours of 10 and 2, basically I was SOL.  Then when I'd call the national office they'd tell me I had to speak to the local agent.  But again, it had to be M-F between 10 to 2.  And often I'd get an answering machine.  They might call me back the same day.  MIGHT.  They also screwed stuff up several times.  Really it was such a lousy experience I don't think I'd do it again.  I went with Geico.  I have experience dealing with them with a claim and they were very fast. You can contact them any time of day or night.  Their website lets you do tons of stuff without having to call. It can't be beat really.

Yeah this is nice in theory, but in practice I am starting to wonder if it actually exists.  I had a local agent thinking how great it would be, but anytime I called, if it wasn't between the hours of 10 and 2, basically I was SOL.  Then when I'd call the national office they'd tell me I had to speak to the local agent.  But again, it had to be M-F between 10 to 2.  And often I'd get an answering machine.  They might call me back the same day.  MIGHT.  They also screwed stuff up several times.  Really it was such a lousy experience I don't think I'd do it again.  I went with Geico.  I have experience dealing with them with a claim and they were very fast. You can contact them any time of day or night.  Their website lets you do tons of stuff without having to call. It can't be beat really.

We have Geico right now and I like that they are always available.  We have only ever used the road side assistance though so I don't know if we would like how they handle other claims.  The roadside assistance was fine and I liked that we could just use the app to request it.  But we are looking to cut some expenses if possible so I will contact a broker or two to see what they can offer us.

• Like 1

We have Geico right now and I like that they are always available.  We have only ever used the road side assistance though so I don't know if we would like how they handle other claims.  The roadside assistance was fine and I liked that we could just use the app to request it.  But we are looking to cut some expenses if possible so I will contact a broker or two to see what they can offer us.

I had Geico years ago then we switched because we got a better deal elsewhere.  Every year I shop around to make sure I'm getting the best deal.  So I totally get that.

We had a combined home/auto deal with State Farm.  State Farm sucks btw.  So we left the auto (long story).  Then we lost the discount on the combined home/auto of course.  So I got a homeowner quote from Geico (they don't actually do homeowners, but through their partners they offer a discount).  Doing that saved money. 

That's too bad. We have American Family and our local agent is awesome- he's always had time to talk to us when we had a question.  We learned about him from a friend (hi, Merry!) and he knew all about their family- he knows his customers. 

Before we had American Family we had another local agent for about a decade and that guy was also really friendly. 

Our experience might be so good because we live in a town of 20,000 people. We work out at the gym with our dentist and our family's doctors are folks we see when we're out to dinner and the movies and we always chat like friends.  

Haven't had any problem with claims but really how they handle claims is SO important.  When I have a claim the last thing I want is hassle. 

• Like 2