Menu

Go-to places for copywork, memorization, and recitation

teachingmykids

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum.

I love the classical education methods, but I've always had trouble boiling down to the actual text/material for copywork, memorization and recitation work. I've seen lots of resources for the above and I got overwhelmed not knowing what to pick.

Could I please have some top recommendations for text materials to do the above with? I'm looking for passages of great value for mostly upper elementary (but also a lower elementary child and one first year middle school). Any suggestions to help make this simple for me would be greatly appreciated.

I like taking copy work from Chronicles of Narnia and memorization from various poetry books. I just pick ones that sound good lol, there's not really a rhyme or reason to it. Unless I'm working on a particular grammar concept, then I'll look for a passage that uses that concept. Usually pretty easy and quick to find one.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

I keep the books, "What Your X Grader Needs to Know." on shelf for poetry. My kids can work their way through them during a year for copywork and memorization.  I also have assigned copywork and done dictation directly from SOTW or whatever our science spine is and from literature we are reading. 

Other places for memorywork come directly from WTM and from Story of the World. While doing SOTW with elem students the activity pages will give memorywork ideas and poems related to the history sections. The Well Trained Mind vol. 2 suggested keeping the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia on hand for memorywork. It contains lists of the rulers in order from different countries. We have used it. Kids have memorized the kings of England, presidents of the U.S, kings and emporers of Rome, etc. As we work through history the stories fit into those timelines they have in their heads from memorizing the lists.  WTM also gives a list of what to memorize for each history period including speeches and such. 

Thank you for your comments. What books are out there as a compilation of great copywork pieces? What books are out there as compilation of great poetry? Or are there specific peotry that you'd recommend?

I like the Poetry for Young People series or Harp and Laurel Wreath for poetry. Harp and Laurel Wreath includes copywork/dictation pieces as well, but I don't have those.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

Thank you. I'm hearing that most people collect copywork from their existing reading materials and such. I'd like to collect quality poetry for both copy work and recitation - any recommendations for the the absolute best, must-read poetry? I'd appreciate a list of these that I can start with. Thank you. I'm not familiar with poetry so I really have to ask around to figure out which ones are the top quality literature in poetry. Thanks again.

Dictation Day by Day/Modern Speller has daily selections for copywork/dictation and includes a section of poetry for memorization. Available online for free.

I use the above for copywork but choose my poems based on the suggestions in the Harp and the Laurel Wreath.

Edited by Tiramisu
  • Like 2